Old 01-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Serenus
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 44
Washer/Dryer Combo

Do any of you folks have a washer/dryer on your boat? Is it worth having or is it a big hassle? We carry enough water that I don't think that would be an issue plus we do tie up to slips a fare amount of the time. But, it seems like we are always having to find a marina that has a laundromat and then half the time they either are busy or don't work. At the nicer marina's it get pretty expensive to do the laundry, but maybe not any more than the cost of a washer/dryer in the long run.

Thanks
Poulsbo, WA
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. j. Funny you should ask. Yes, a Kenmore stackable unit(s) on board (1990's vintage-220v dryer) and used them for the first time in 9 years about a month ago. Previous to that we would lug the laundry home and lug it back again. First test was a load of towels. No more lugging.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We had a set of little stacked Maytags that we used constantly, but then again we lived aboard and cruised full time. Loved those things. Taking all your stuff on shore and then having to look after it is a real PITA in our opinion. However, if we were just vacationers or weekend warriors it would not be an issue.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have a Splendide in our RV and had one in our last trawler. They are the vented units. The non vented ones do not dry very well. The vented ones dry fine if you load the unit per the specifications. The problem is that people jam in too much and then expect it to dry like a home unit that is 220V instead of 120V. You need to have open space around the clothes in the drum so you get air circulation so they will dry. Having said that, we love them and intend on installing one in our "new" trawler. If you are weekending on the boat, maybe it is not needed. However if you are spending time on the boat, not having to find a laundry facility, lug the clothes to and fro, hang out waiting on the laundry to finish and not having to use a machine that someone just washed their really nasty clothes in is well worth putting up with the smaller loads and longer drying times. Some people hate the combo units. Yes they are a compromise, but most things on a boat are a compromise...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I have the Maytag stackable units built in to a cabinet. A little noisy so I do laundry during the day. They do a very good job and it's very convenient. I watch other boat owners haul their loads to the pier head laundry and fish for sufficient quarters and that's not for me. I do laundry twice a week and that keeps the load size moderate. Of course I am solo on board so I don't build up a huge pile.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Our boat came with washer and dryer. I was adamant to take them out and convert the space to another fridge and some storage. The Admiral wanted to keep them.

The Admiral prevailed (as Admirals typically do). Now, I see the wisdom (other than keeping tha Admiral happy). We use ours regularly. Sure beats lugging laundry and a sack of quarters back and forth to a laundromat.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #7

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
We have a Kenmore stackable washer/dryer. It is used weekly and is much more convenient than hauling the laundry to a laundrymat or marina laundry room.

It is running now as I type this.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
We have a 110V Splendid and it works fine as long as you understand its limitations. It is a fairly compact unit. For just the two of us doing a load every other day and don't pack it solid, it's a 3 hour cycle. While cruising, we use the generator every day or two. During that time, water maker, washer, hair dryer, microwave and any other high AC use items are used. Takes a little planning, but it works.
Hope that helps.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have a vented Splendide on my trawler that does very well. The object is to do laundry before it reaches critical mass. Mine either runs off the generator (when it's running) or shore power. So the object when cruising is to check if there is a load to do before starting the generator. After docking (if you're only their for the night) check to see if there is enough for a load. Really try to avoid running the generator just to do a load of laundry.

Unit uses 7.5 to 16 gallons of water depending on how many rinse cycles you select.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 PM   #10
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
We also have a 110v Splendide. Like Crusty says, know it's limitations. You can't overload it. And it doesn't get things completely dry, at least here in the soggy Pacific Northwest. We end up hanging the laundry in the flybridge to finish drying.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Guru

City: West Coast
We have a combo unit off the engine room and a dryer only in the master SR. We do use both (although we are no live aboards -- just easier to wash sheets, etc., on the boat), but the dryer in our stateroom actually gets more use. Its really nice to have a completely dry, warm towel after showering on a chilly morning.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:49 PM   #12

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
We took ours out and made a large pantry which we needed more. I can send pics if you like, just PM me. It's amazing how much storage we gained. Every place we go has the laundry facilities. When we are out on the water for any length of time we are not dressing to please anyone else so our cloths are worn sometimes every day. Nobody ever does that at sea have they? Plus, when at sea requires generator use which is noisy on ours. A little time at the sink for what must be done is adequate. If we are docked for any period of time we use a service for $.90/ per pound. Cheaper than all the quarters and much more convenient.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #13
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
We also have a 110v Splendide. Like Crusty says, know it's limitations. You can't overload it. And it doesn't get things completely dry, at least here in the soggy Pacific Northwest. We end up hanging the laundry in the flybridge to finish drying.
On our 40'er we had lines in the shower to hang clothes. Clothes went on hangers and sheets were clothes-pinned up. Turn on exhaust fan. We also bungie-cord'ed a fan to the head pointed at the shower. Most dried within 30 minutes.

I do similar though without the benefit of an exhaust fan in my head. I do have a cord though and that's where I dry things. I turn my Hella fan and within an hour everything is dry.

Of course my clothes are picked by the ability to dry fast. And at anchor I tend to wear nighties -- from a distance they look like dresses. With a wrap around skirt on the helm chair I can be "presentable" at a moment's notice.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:05 PM   #14
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Blue Sky came with an old Splendide combo, probably 20 years old. It performed marginally; washed okay but really did a poor job of drying. (It was vented)

Last year we replaced it with a new Splendide and what a difference! it washes better than our home washer (a fancy Whirlpool) and dries everything completely. But as has been mentioned, you have to know it's limitations; don't fill it up, and know that it takes a very long time to go through the complete cycle - 3 hours at a minimum.

It sure beats hanging around a laundromat for hours.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: Serenus
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 44
Any particular type of soap to minimize suds in the marina? Do any marinas frown on dumping soapy water overboard?
Poulsbo, WA
jstauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
The PO had stackable Whirlpool units, which I managed to keep running until recently. The washer was basically worn out (rotary mechanical selector) and the dryer ran but overheated and shut off quite often once back in Oz. It wasn't too happy with 50 Hz AC feed I think.

Initially I was going to install a heat pump dryer as they are very energy efficient. However, after buying one for home and using it for a time I decided not to install one on the boat. Sure, its energy efficient and it doesn't need to be vented, but its rather slow and doesn't get to the level of dryness I would like. So I went with a vented condenser dryer for the boat which is quite good and a lot cheaper than the heat pump unit. Normal household front load washer as well. On board washing and drying is really nice if you are spending much time aboard.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:05 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Much has been said about not overloading the Spendide during the drying cycle. Standard separate home units avoid this issue by making the drum of the dryer twice the size of the drum for the washing machine. An option for those who need the drying cycle is to wash the clothes filling the washer and then letting half of them sit in a basket while the remaining half drys and then doing a second drying cycle. This avoids a 2nd wash cycle and the water usage.

We routinely use the Splendide in its wash cycle via our inverter.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #18
Guru

After spending 8 months on our boat over the past 2 years I wish we had laundry facilities. Our boat is too small but if I had a boat that could have one, I would install it.

At least once a week we spent half a day doing laundry and trying to find quarters. And it does get expensive.

However if you're spending less than a week at a time on the boat it's probably not needed and the space better used for storage.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:31 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Its really nice to have a completely dry, warm towel after showering on a chilly morning.
Now that's the cat's meow.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstauffer View Post
Any particular type of soap to minimize suds in the marina? Do any marinas frown on dumping soapy water overboard?
With the Splendide and other front loading low water use machines, you want to use the HE (think it stands for High Energy) soaps. It takes a ridiculously small amount and there are generally no suds (bubbles).

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote