Warship recognition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
I've been away from nautical pursuits, aside from the occasional charter, for a long time...until last May, when I jumped in with enthusiasm - and money, of course.

In fitting out my library, I'd like to have a book of current vessels of the US fleet--not Jane's, mind you, just a quick reference. I'm based near three substantial Naval facilities (not counting Esquimalt) and id just like to know what I'm looking at. In days of yore, I had such a thing in handy octavo size with color plates, but it's long lost and would be out of date anyway.

I can't find anything on Amazon. Perhaps because I'm not filtering properly, all I get are historical references, some of which I have in my home library.

Does anyone here carry such a thing?

Last edited:
If you can read the ship's number or name, the Internet has several good sites for vessel information and history. Goggle in "USA warship" with the name or number. Information stays current, unlike a book that is dated before it's printed.

Ted

I have an AIS app on my phone. When a ship is picked up it often has a link to a related website.

Worth a look, anyhow.

FWIW, Navy ships that come through here, and the YP training fleet, often don't have their AIS turned on...

-Chris

FWIW, Navy ships that come through here, and the YP training fleet, often don't have their AIS turned on...

-Chris

Try Never! They want to know where you are, but they don't like you to know where they are.

Maybe mostly never. But not always. The Zumwalt came through announcing it's presence on AIS. A small sample, I don't see all that many warships passing through, except for when there's some sort of waterfront festival.

Maybe mostly never. But not always. The Zumwalt came through announcing it's presence on AIS. A small sample, I don't see all that many warships passing through, except for when there's some sort of waterfront festival.

True, we passed a warship the other day...cant remember the name ....that we followed out of Mayport, Fl that had theirs on.

If you don't think war ships have their ais on, go into Norfolk, VA at the Navy docks.

Ted

At some point covertness is ridiculous.

A guy with a pair of binocs at the jetties can give you the same info as AIS for the most part.

Take a look at this:

Hmm. An interesting offer, but as I said above, I'm not looking for the complete Janes', but a little handbook I can keep by the helm. Besides, it looks like I have to sign up for a never-ending stream of "offers" to get this "free" resource.

Did you do it?

'prof

the Internet has several good sites for vessel information and history.
Ted

True, that's exactly how I identified Her Majesty's own frigate Ottowa from her portrait, two weeks later when I arrived home, but really, can't a fellow just buy a...book?:ermm:

Attachments

• P1080804.jpg
    P1080804.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 166
That's her covert name....:D

Hmm. An interesting offer, but as I said above, I'm not looking for the complete Janes', but a little handbook I can keep by the helm. Besides, it looks like I have to sign up for a never-ending stream of "offers" to get this "free" resource.

Did you do it?

'prof

No didn't go for it either after I read more. Free is never free.

NavSource Naval History - Photo Archive Main Index
This site is mainly pictures with a little info. Divided by ship type. Seems to keep current and has the info when a new ship is laid down, launched along with particulars, weapons, tonnage, propulsion.
They attempt to list every ship ever in the navy.

//NAVSOURCE//

That's a wonderful resource, which I've used before. For example to get pix/ of my Dad's ships

Attachments

• doyle-47.JPG
    doyle-47.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 175
Thanks Lepke. I found two pictures of the ship my Dad served on in WW2. It was the SC1014 and the photos show it coming in to Miami through Government Cut. The County Causeway, now McArthur Causeway, is in the background.

If you are looking for a current reference that you can keep in your logbook fleetidataglance.com sells a nice laminated 8x10 page printed both sides.

If you are looking for a current reference that you can keep in your logbook fleetidataglance.com sells a nice laminated 8x10 page printed both sides.

Thanks for the lead. Interesting site; they seem to do bulk sales $5 per card; $2 in lots of 25 or more. --to foreign navies?

They have an android app for $5--worth a try. Gonna put it on my Kindle.

'prof

Has anyone pointed out how much you resemble Captain Spaulding, the African explorer?

There is a rumor that our friend, Rufus T, once shot an elephant in his pajamas.

Back
Top Bottom