Warship recognition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The HMCS is a courtesy only. Canada no longer has a monarch. A simple fact that Wikipedia appears to have forgotten.

Clearly, I don't have un chien in this fight, and bear no torch for old Liz II, but I'm thinkin' this is a pretty authoritative site:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 32
The HMCS is a courtesy only. Canada no longer has a monarch. A simple fact that Wikipedia appears to have forgotten.

Although the Queen has no actual authority in Canada, we do have a Queen's representative flying the flag. Our Governor General:
His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., Governor General and
Commander-in-Chief of Canada
He presides over the swearing in of our government, and the dissolution of Parliament when its time is up, among many other things.

Our Navy ships are all HMCS "Her Majesty's Canadian Ship"

The Yacht Club I belong to has a "Royal Charter" so is permitted to call itself a "Royal" YC.

So yes, a courtesy only, but an important one.

You might want to read up on the Constitution Act of 1982 and the repatriation of the BNA

Hey. Here's a serious question for you and koliver too, I guess. I recall the "consolidation" of the Canadian Armed Forces. Before I became an academic, I was in air traffic, and we had to start calling everyone "Canforce", and as I recall, everyone had to wear the same generic o.d. uniforms.

I also recall a display in the B.C. Maritime Museum expressing their displeasure concerning this turn of events. But now I see this. Did I not understand originally, or did I skip a page? What happened?

Attachments

• royal_canadian_navy___uniform_base_by_tenue_de_canada-d8nmjaw.png.jpg
    royal_canadian_navy___uniform_base_by_tenue_de_canada-d8nmjaw.png.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
They all looked like UPS drivers and morale plummeted. oops !

PS. As someone who over almost five years spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars trying to keep his wife alive I can tell you "free" health care ain't what you think it is.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom