Warnings for cruisers and liveaboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We hunted high and low for a mail forwarding location that could be our 'home' address. Not so easy. As we have no dirt home. We settled on River Run Pack and Ship in Southport, NC. They do a great job, and are an accepted 'home' address for the state of NC and USCG.

As for Credit Cards, I'm floored at seeing the number of high travel folks who've not been stung here. I've been 4 times, once in Canada, the others in the US. Everyone was a restaurant who took the card from the table. Multiple cards, u bet. Only way to protect from having the ONE locked up and out of commission.

Great info here. . . thank you all.

The one thing the banks don't tell you is the only one on the hook is the bank itself. You are liable for the big fat goose egg....

Yes, but you may well be a victim of identity theft in the process and/or have other issues related to it that take time to resolve.

We had our major credit card hijacked 3 years in a row on our trip to FL. The CC company called and asked if I was buying Rolex watches in Miami. PIA but did not cost me anything. So now we have 2 major cards, one of which is only used when traveling. Sacrificial so to speak and a gas CC for gas station use. No hijacks in 3 years, knock wood. God help you if you use a debit card in anything but a bank ATM. Even then, last winter some Sun Trust ATMs were found fitted with card skimming equipment!

Now... if most places accepted bitcoin we would never have this problem. Digital internet cash. No identity theft, no blocked transactions, no calling the bank to get permission to use your money.

I think it is ridiculous that everywhere we transact we leave our account information for the taking. The guy bringing your credit card to the back room to charge it. The Home Depot when you swipe your card and it is stored in their database.

Credit card technology was introduced by Diners Club in 1950 and has changed very little since then.

Now this is the point where you call me heretic and poopoo the concept. :rofl:

Have half a dozen credit cards for different purposes and risk levels. Have one for monthly bills such as phone, and water bill. It doesn't get hacked and saves me from changing all those accounts. Have one that doesn't leave my hand for credit card machines. Have one to give to the waiter (most hacked ). Have one for one time on line purchases (hacked every couple of years). Have one for repeat online purchases. Always have at least one spare.

The bank that issues your card makes a big difference. Have never had an issue disputing a fraudulent charge. One call and it's done.

Ted

Anyone have multiple cards for the rewards or play all the rewards games?

Anyone have multiple cards for the rewards or play all the rewards games?

If you mean fly-buys, - never.

I choose a credit card that has no monthly or annual fee, (and usually has the highest interest rate). Then I just get the bank to pay it off monthly using a line of credit if necessary, so their is no credit card interest to be concerned about.

If you mean fly-buys, - never.

I choose a credit card that has no monthly or annual fee, (and usually has the highest interest rate). Then I just get the bank to pay it off monthly using a line of credit if necessary, so their is no credit card interest to be concerned about.

More the cash back.

Costco's new Visa card gives 3% cash back on gas purchases. Citibank's American Airline card (platinum) has a fee but has no foreign transaction fee and unlimited mileage credit.

If you travel a lot outside of your home country the rental car insurance is an important factor in choosing a card. Most cards issued in the US for example will not provide coverage in Ireland.

Like others have mentioned we carry cards from two companies. If there is a hold or problem with one we can use the other to complete a purchase, then solve the problem later.

We have been live-a-boards for about 2 1/2 years. We are now Inside Passage veterans (sort of) and common sense plays a lot here too. the two CC is a great idea and we practiced it last summer. It seems the small stupid things get you. i.e. When we forwarded our mail to a mail service. Our absentee voting ballots were sent back as they could not be forwarded. The USPS will only forward your Yachting magazines for 60 only days.

We have been live-a-boards for about 2 1/2 years. We are now Inside Passage veterans (sort of) and common sense plays a lot here too. the two CC is a great idea and we practiced it last summer. It seems the small stupid things get you. i.e. When we forwarded our mail to a mail service. Our absentee voting ballots were sent back as they could not be forwarded. The USPS will only forward your Yachting magazines for 60 only days.

Forwarding isn't a great solution except for a very short period of time. One really needs to change the address if it's a permanent situation, but that includes mail forwarding too and is still problematic. There are many other items that the PO won't forward. I don't believe they'll forward from social security. Banks often say "Return Service Requested" and the PO won't forward items like that. Credit cards are almost always sent in envelopes saying that.

Changing and forwarding isn't simple either. If you're returning to the old address then changing the address doesn't work well, because they will not forward from a mail service. So if you change to ABC Mail Service at 100 Main Street and you're in box 123, that's the end of the path. You can never get mail forwarded out of that location. The post office considers that to be a single address for all the people there.

A couple of other comments on mail forwarding. Post offices are notoriously slow doing it. I've seen it delayed for two weeks or more so for time sensitive mail can be a problem. And, then, when you decide to stop forwarding, depend on some still being forwarded.

So, if you change your address to a mail service, how do you ever return to a home? With difficulty. What most people do is they look at the scans of all mail received to develop a notification list and then keep the box open at the mail service a while.

Oh, the post office is now in the premium mail forwarding business. For a fee they will now collect all your mail and forward it to you in a priority mail envelope weekly. How that benefits you, I have no idea.

St. Brendan's address reads 411 Walnut Street #xxxxx. To the post office it only reads 411 Walnut Street. And when you sign the form for a mail service you agree to the following:

In consideration of delivery of my or our (firm) mail to the agent named below, the addressee and agent agree: (1) the addressee or the agent must not file a change of address order with the Postal Service™ upon termination of the agency relationship; (2) the transfer of mail to another address is the responsibility of the addressee and the agent; (3) all mail delivered to the agency under this authorization must be prepaid with new postage when redeposited in the mails; (4) upon request the agent must provide to the Postal Service all addresses to which the agency transfers mail; and (5) when any information required on this form changes or becomes obsolete, the addressee(s) must file a revised application with the Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA).​

I guess all we know now is it's not as simple as we sometimes make it out to be. When we moved, we got a credit card cancelled because six months later they sent it to our old address, even though out bank accounts had been changed for six months and all accounts with the banks had been in theory, just not in practice. It gets worse. I call. It's my fault, I didn't give the bank my change of address. I need to go to the bank. They tell me they changed my address. I make them pull up the screen with all my accounts and then make them scroll and then put my finger on the screen where they didn't change the card.

Friends, and I use the word loosely.

"Friends" will try to talk you into things that you know aren't wise. Beware. It's your boat and your responsibility. I've seen them insist on a late night cruise after drinking for hours. I've seen them say that one life jacket short wasn't a problem, they'd never get stopped. They've insisted they wanted to come too and it wasn't overloading. They try to tell you how to drive the boat, shortcuts to take, whatever. They refuse to wear life jackets on the bow against your rule or too many go to the bridge while underway. They want to drink more when you're already worried about their safety and tell them to stop. They'll try to guilt you. They'll call you names. Fortunately, we've chosen our friends carefully and don't encounter the problem. Oh, they'll ask to borrow your boat. I once had a girl on my boat who after being told still sat on the back sunpad in 3-4' waves on a small bowrider. I stopped again and told her next time, wherever we were, I was putting her out to walk home. She was a visiting friend of a friend who I'd invited to join them. There is "peer pressure" to boaters and sometimes we have to make people angry by making what we believe is the right decision. I hated on the lake when we had several on the boat and were about to go out and very good friends would ask "can we go?" and I'd have to say, "No, we're full. Next time." Friends insisting it was fine to anchor "here" when you don't feel comfortable. People telling you it's fine to go out in conditions you aren't comfortable in.

There's a lot of responsibility that comes with boat ownership and exercising it doesn't always make others happy.

Have used St. Brendan's for over 15 years. Each time we are going to be gone from our permanent home we have our mail forwarded by the US Post Office to St. Brendan's on a temporary basic. We never file a permanent change of address, nor do we notify senders of a change of address. At the end of the season we terminate the mail forwarding with the post office (some problems here) and have St. Brendan's send our mail to our home using UPS.

Agree there a problems with credit cards, especially replacement. Last year I did without one card for the entire season because Capital One could not get a card sent to me in the Caribbean.

The other problem we have is with automobile license plate renewal. Renewal stickers come in the mail while we are gone and are forwarded to St. Brendan's. We cannot get the actual stickers when we return until we receive our package of mail from St. Brendan's. This may be a day or two after we return. We have made do with copies of the stickers downloaded off St. Brendan's website.

The talk of mail and forwarding got me to thinking what is it I still get in US mail as I try to get as little as possible. I'm sure I'm overlooking some things.

-Tax Notices
-Driver's license and Auto license documents
-New credit cards
-Formal insurance notifications
-Privacy policies from many people
-Official notifications, policy changes, etc. from utilities, including cable
-Insurance policies themselves

Which of these do we need the actual hard copy or mailing?

-Driver's license, auto tags/stickers
-Credit cards

What am I missing that scanning isn't adequate for?

In nearly four years, we haven't actually had anything sent from home to us while we were cruising, all held for our return.

The company we use is awesome. Get mail, they send us a picture. We decide to have it opened, trashed or just placed in the pick up bin. If we want it opened, they open it, scan it and send it to you. If I want to have something forwarded to say a port I will be at they do that too. No permanent address change. Not needed.

The company we use is awesome. Get mail, they send us a picture. We decide to have it opened, trashed or just placed in the pick up bin. If we want it opened, they open it, scan it and send it to you. If I want to have something forwarded to say a port I will be at they do that too. No permanent address change. Not needed.

How many things have you found you needed forwarded to you while cruising?

How many things have you found you needed forwarded to you while cruising?

Actually none. But I can have them send me parts if needed and they fill out all the customs paperwork. Nice to know the service is available. It was good to stay up to speed on stuff.

In eight years outside of the country we have never had mail forwarded to us. Many times we ordered parts and had them shipped, but not mail.

Whether or not you are a US resident, if you need parts shipped from the US to outside of the US do not use the US mail. We have found it frequently takes months to arrive and there is no tracking service once the package leaves the US. This may be different from country to country but certainly in the Bahamas and the Caribbean one should only use the private delivery services.

Costco's new Visa card gives 3% cash back on gas purchases. Citibank's American Airline card (platinum) has a fee but has no foreign transaction fee and unlimited mileage credit.....

Actually I believe it's 4% on gas.

We never use our ATM card, but use the costco card for everything we can, and pay off monthly so there's no interest. :dance:

Actually I believe it's 4% on gas.

We never use our ATM card, but use the costco card for everything we can, and pay off monthly so there's no interest. :dance:

I believe you are correct, 4% on gas purchases, the 3% is on restaurants.

We use Chase Sapphire and USAA cards. We can immediately reach a human when calling either bank and both are excellent with traveling and fraud. Chase has better rewards. Both will and have overnighted replacement cards, often waiving the fee.

We use Chase Sapphire and USAA cards. We can immediately reach a human when calling either bank and both are excellent with traveling and fraud. Chase has better rewards. Both will and have overnighted replacement cards, often waiving the fee.

Will they overnight to you if traveling or only to the address on the account?

Anywhere as long as you can verify your identity to their satisfaction, or that's how it was a year or two ago.

Wifey B: Things that don't float, sink when in the water. Little things you don't want to find the water do. :)

So, if you wear glasses, wear a band. Same with expensive sunglasses. Don't put stuff in a shirt pocket. Don't keep things like your car keys in your pocket, put them away. Don't wear rings if you value them. Insure jewelry too, requires a separate policy. Don't use cell phones and tablets where if they're dropped, they're in the water. Advise guests of all these things.

Sun! Sun burns. Bad Bad Bad. :nonono::nonono::nonono: I think as a host it's your responsibility not to let guests get burned. Keep tons of lotion on board and make sure it's used. :D

Wifey B wrote: "If you wear glasses, wear a band. Same with expensive sunglasses. Don't put stuff in a shirt pocket. Don't keep things like your car keys in your pocket, put them away."

Where were you twenty-five years ago, before I had to learn every single one of those lessons the hard / expensive / inconvenient / embarrassing way?

Wifey B wrote: "If you wear glasses, wear a band. Same with expensive sunglasses. Don't put stuff in a shirt pocket. Don't keep things like your car keys in your pocket, put them away."

Where were you twenty-five years ago, before I had to learn every single one of those lessons the hard / expensive / inconvenient / embarrassing way?

Wifey B: Well, that was 1991. So, October 1991, I had just started 7th grade. :)

True story, a husband here interviewed here after his wife had her handbag snatched. She was ok, they wanted some sentimental items back, he said he was not worried about the credit cards as he thought they was safer with the thief than with his wife.
I hope his wife had a sense of humor and the marriage survived.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom