Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
For those of you using mail processing services, do you have all your mail go to the forwarding service year round, or do you have it forward to them periodically while you are away, then resume home delivery? I guess I'm asking if you permanently change you mailing address, or do you forward you mail for periods at a time?

And if you have permanently changed your mailing address, have you changed it to a state different from your residence?

I'd like to use one of these services while we are traveling, but perhaps not permanently, and that seems to complicate things.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #22

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 280 Sundancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
For those of you using mail processing services, do you have all your mail go to the forwarding service year round, or do you have it forward to them periodically while you are away, then resume home delivery? I guess I'm asking if you permanently change you mailing address, or do you forward you mail for periods at a time?

And if you have permanently changed your mailing address, have you changed it to a state different from your residence?

I'd like to use one of these services while we are traveling, but perhaps not permanently, and that seems to complicate things.
Re forwarding services.. sometimes there's a lag in the way it works and you end up missing some mail. Need to make the change with overlap time. And, I'd never have a CC statement mailed to my home.... always to a PO box, less fraud likely. Had a few times over the years where the mail was stolen..

As for restaurant purchases, I could argue strongly the pay cash. Friend had a restaurant with ~60 people employed and he couldn't control the credit card fraud. Seems like he had at least one fraud case going on all the time.

And along those lines, I could argue paying cash for everything small and never let the card out of your view, no matter what.

As for the banks canceling the card with travel, have no clue how to stop that consistently. I get them cancelled a lot and have to call them, if I can, to get it activated again.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
We use St. Brendan's only when we are traveling. Unfortunately, the US post office is not very good at resuming mail delivery on schedule and frequently is off by several days or until I complain.

All bills are paid automatically either by credit card or charge to bank account. We use a separate credit card that is just for the the automatic payments, and that card never leaves the house. Thus when one of our cards is compromised, the automatic payments don't need to be changed. The downside of using one credit card for this purpose is that when the automatic payment card expires I have to give the new date to around 15 companies at the same time.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #24
TF Site Team

Credit cards being cancelled while on a trip. I learned the hard way 30 years ago to carry two cards. As I was checking out of a hotel in Brussels to go to the airport to fly back to the US, my card was declined for possible fraudulent activity. Unfortunately the US office of Citibank's fraud department was not open until several hours later so I couldn't get the card reactivated. Fortunately my Belgian contact saved the day and allowed me to get to the airport.

Since then I have carried two cards in my wallet an a third in my suitcase.

Caution, my wife if left to her own devices would carry all three cards in her purse. If she then looses her purse we would be out of luck.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

One thing I don't know is whether different banks behind MC/Visa use different fraud detection programs, or if it all goes back through the MC/Visa mothership. I just have no idea how that whole business is structured, especially from an IT perspective.
Fraud detection is all computer and different banks do use different detection software and methods of handling issues even on same card. Also, different methods of reissue. Some of them have some oddities too. Bank of America apparently has or had Walgreen's on something like a $300 limit and fraud alert requiring you to call for them to process more. I don't know if it was all Walgreen's or just the one. Apparently, they're out of touch with the price of drugs.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #26
Guru

Medications.

This is a two fold issue. First is individual medications that are prescribed to you. Even for those with 90 day prescriptions, that's not long, especially if well into it when you start. Then any scheduled drugs are a nightmare. This is where mail order can be good.

Then there are medications you might choose to carry aboard in case needed. We keep a medical kit. We do both have medical person in charge certification, but not always required. In South Florida there are many doctors who prescribe for boats. Elsewhere it might be less common. They can also be ordered. Documentation and record keeping is important. We carry a large supply of prescription medicines due to the areas we sometimes travel. If you're ever more than 24 hours from a doctor, I'd absolutely recommend one. This is on top of all the other medical items we carry with us. OceanMedix is a good place to look at kits and what you might want. Medaire as well.

Medical - Page 1 - OceanMedix
Old 10-12-2016, 10:32 AM   #27
Guru

Make sure you're taking precautions such as regular credit reports and or alerts against identity theft. When you're moving around a lot and away from home, it's even easier to happen.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #28
Guru

Wifey B: Climates change.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #29
Guru

Wifey B: Time can get away from you when you're having fun and while you might not be on a calendar the rest of the world is. You need one with key dates on it such as renewal dates and due dates.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #30
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I do a lot of traveling and I hate having my credit card suspended, when traveling to a new country. Its a big PITA.

I've discussed this with the bank and they now leave them open for use anywhere in the world. I'd rather live with the small risk of unauthorized use of the card, rather than trying to get cards replaced in a foreign country.

In 35+ years use of credit cards, I've only had one unauthorized use. The bank spotted it before I did, and I was reimbursed for the full amount.
The one thing the banks don't tell you is the only one on the hook is the bank itself. You are liable for the big fat goose egg....
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Southport, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
We hunted high and low for a mail forwarding location that could be our 'home' address. Not so easy. As we have no dirt home. We settled on River Run Pack and Ship in Southport, NC. They do a great job, and are an accepted 'home' address for the state of NC and USCG.

As for Credit Cards, I'm floored at seeing the number of high travel folks who've not been stung here. I've been 4 times, once in Canada, the others in the US. Everyone was a restaurant who took the card from the table. Multiple cards, u bet. Only way to protect from having the ONE locked up and out of commission.

Great info here. . . thank you all.

Eat Life -
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
The one thing the banks don't tell you is the only one on the hook is the bank itself. You are liable for the big fat goose egg....
Yes, but you may well be a victim of identity theft in the process and/or have other issues related to it that take time to resolve.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #33
Guru

City: Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
We had our major credit card hijacked 3 years in a row on our trip to FL. The CC company called and asked if I was buying Rolex watches in Miami. PIA but did not cost me anything. So now we have 2 major cards, one of which is only used when traveling. Sacrificial so to speak and a gas CC for gas station use. No hijacks in 3 years, knock wood. God help you if you use a debit card in anything but a bank ATM. Even then, last winter some Sun Trust ATMs were found fitted with card skimming equipment!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Now... if most places accepted bitcoin we would never have this problem. Digital internet cash. No identity theft, no blocked transactions, no calling the bank to get permission to use your money.

I think it is ridiculous that everywhere we transact we leave our account information for the taking. The guy bringing your credit card to the back room to charge it. The Home Depot when you swipe your card and it is stored in their database.

Credit card technology was introduced by Diners Club in 1950 and has changed very little since then.

Now this is the point where you call me heretic and poopoo the concept.
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have half a dozen credit cards for different purposes and risk levels. Have one for monthly bills such as phone, and water bill. It doesn't get hacked and saves me from changing all those accounts. Have one that doesn't leave my hand for credit card machines. Have one to give to the waiter (most hacked ). Have one for one time on line purchases (hacked every couple of years). Have one for repeat online purchases. Always have at least one spare.

The bank that issues your card makes a big difference. Have never had an issue disputing a fraudulent charge. One call and it's done.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea View Post

Now this is the point where you call me heretic and poopoo the concept.
Wifey B: Poo Poo, Heretic.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #37
Guru

Anyone have multiple cards for the rewards or play all the rewards games?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #38
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Anyone have multiple cards for the rewards or play all the rewards games?
If you mean fly-buys, - never.

I choose a credit card that has no monthly or annual fee, (and usually has the highest interest rate). Then I just get the bank to pay it off monthly using a line of credit if necessary, so their is no credit card interest to be concerned about.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
If you mean fly-buys, - never.

I choose a credit card that has no monthly or annual fee, (and usually has the highest interest rate). Then I just get the bank to pay it off monthly using a line of credit if necessary, so their is no credit card interest to be concerned about.
More the cash back.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:36 AM   #40
TF Site Team

Costco's new Visa card gives 3% cash back on gas purchases. Citibank's American Airline card (platinum) has a fee but has no foreign transaction fee and unlimited mileage credit.

If you travel a lot outside of your home country the rental car insurance is an important factor in choosing a card. Most cards issued in the US for example will not provide coverage in Ireland.