Old 12-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNandJN View Post
NOAA chart 18650 - 48 degrees 10 minutes north / 20 degrees 10 minutes west. It's marked on the chart and labelled "Breakwater"

You know this guy paid a pretty penny for the badge/crane used to lift it off.
Those coordinates are incorrect. This area i 37- 38 degrees north and 22 +/-degrees west. The barrier is marked with two warning day beacons as well as a gree channel marker.

Edit: and, yes, the breakwater is noted on the NOAA vector chart as I just checked. May want to tell Navionics that.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:54 AM   #22
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Here are some closeups of the hull that a friend of mine took at the yard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151204_094001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	47114

Name:	20151204_094046.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	47115

Name:	20151204_094051.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	47116

Name:	20151204_094106.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	47117

Richard

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:00 AM   #23

City: Leesburg, VA
A little Bondo will fix that right up good as new!
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Unless he was bui, I feel bad for him. While we all hope not to make mistakes like that, people do. I think of driving a car and I know there have been times in the last 30 years I screwed up and someone else was watching so we avoided an accident. I know I've saved myself and others from colliding. I think boating is tougher. You'd think with all the water and no narrow lanes it might be easier. However, I think the fact that there isn't a lane marked on the water ahead of you and that there can be obstacles most anywhere adds a complication. I think then piloting a plane increases the complexity tremendously again.

I always see an accident and if no one is hurt, I feel like it was a pretty lucky day for all involved. This one could have been tragic.

I've seen accidents on the lake as they happened. One I recall hearing a crash and looking to the right and the two boats were both spinning. We jumped in the boat and were there in seconds with another boat there as well and we all started picking people up out of the water and trying to find out how many we should be looking for. You couldn't tell which ones were from which boat. There turned out to be 11, all ok. The other time I was waterskiing. I could see a boat approaching the tow boat from the side at an angle they didn't see. I thought if I'd drop the ski tow it might make them see. Regardless I didn't want to get towed into the accident. At the last second the boat towing me turned to try to avoid it and minimized the impact. Still amazed no one was hurt. Very happy though we weren't there a few seconds sooner when it would have been me instead of the boat. The driver of the boat that ran into the tow boat blew a .28 on the Breathalyzer. I did not feel bad for him. In fact, I was quite glad he was banned from the waters of the state and the roads of the state for a year.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One problem that can occur with boating and flying is the same as highway hypnosis...

Hour and hours of boredom, interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

Another is low workload distractions.....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
One problem that can occur with boating and flying is the same as highway hypnosis...

Hour and hours of boredom, interrupted by moments of sheer terror.

Another is low workload distractions.....
I'm one who use to travel a lot alone by car and I stopped every two hours. It would be a snack stop, meal stop, fuel stop, or restroom stop of all the above. Even with my wife we tend to make many very short stops. There's a reason airplanes have co-pilots. There's a reason in my mind that boats need them. Just to be able to walk around, take a break, look somewhere else, have someone to share the responsibility. From industry experience too, I've seen all the charts and measurements showing drop off of productivity and alertness on a monotonous job after a certain number of hours. Also given reaction and judgement tests and reviewed studies. That mid afternoon drop off, drowsiness, loss of alertness and the middle of the night one are both very real. We once acquired a manufacturing facility that did not give an afternoon break (wasn't technically required in their state). We implemented one. Their production increased rather than dropping and their quality improved. The selection of music playing is also very interesting, finding that which comes between increasing the drowsiness and between taking one's mind totally off the task.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote