Old 09-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #41
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post

When I went down the flight of 8 locks in downtown Ottawa, the other boat in the locks had a topless Québécois sunning herself on deck. No one was watching me. I wasn't watching me. Oh, my wife was watching me.
Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
This is NOT what we have been discussing here. You have adequately described normal docking procedure for a twin. That is how I usually dock my boat too, but when the spot is inappropriate for that type of manoeuvring, you may wish to move your boat sideways into the spot, using the method we have been discussing. much like the joystick handling of the new Pod drive boats. Just consider trying to approach the crowded club dock, where boats are double rafted two deep both ahead of and behind the single opening, and that opening is only a few feet longer than your own boat length. This is where I first tried the sideways technique, and it was impressive, especially to me, to see how well the boat behaved, the bow and stern both gliding towards the dock at the same rate, all the while staying safely away from the neighbour.
But I think it is what we are talking about. Maybe a "semantical" misunderstanding!!! If you are telling me you can do this by setting up your controls(rudders, throttles, transmissions) and then walk sideways without touching them once, then I will personally hop on an airplane to come over and witness it in person...I'll buy the beer too! The fact of the matter is, you are constantly adjusting and fine tuning to get it to do that...just like I was saying. And how tightly your "leaf is falling" determines how the docking maneuver appears to onlookers.

We have a popular dockside bar here in my area. I stuck my boat in a slot where my anchor was hanging in the cockpit of the boat in front of me and the anchor of the boat behind me was hanging in my cockpit. The band literally stopped playing to watch me dock when they figured out what I was trying to do. I nailed it using the above technique. The lead singer even left the stage to come shake my hand in disbelief.

So in summary, there will always be a little forward and aft movement however negligible it may be. And the bow and stern will always be "adjusting" back and forth to fine tune their positions because you will always be fine tuning the movement of the boat. And like I said, if you can walk a twin perfectly sideways with no adjustments and no forward or aft movement and no movement of bow or stern, I will jump on an airplane to witness. I will even buy Walt(Seahorse) a ticket as well so he can buy the beer!!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #43
TF Site Team

Ps....I will admit that there was a pretty good current on the nose, in my favor. But that is the reason why I even attempted it. Had the same current been on the stern, I would not have even though of trying it. My motion was very slow and there were people at the ready with fenders. All I am saying is I wouldn't think of endangering someone else's property if I thought it was too risky. In this case, I did not.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #44
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
But I think it is what we are talking about. Maybe a "semantical" misunderstanding!!! If you are telling me you can do this by setting up your controls(rudders, throttles, transmissions) and then walk sideways without touching them once, then I will personally hop on an airplane to come over and witness it in person...I'll buy the beer too! The fact of the matter is, you are constantly adjusting and fine tuning to get it to do that...just like I was saying. And how tightly your "leaf is falling" determines how the docking maneuver appears to onlookers.

We have a popular dockside bar here in my area. I stuck my boat in a slot where my anchor was hanging in the cockpit of the boat in front of me and the anchor of the boat behind me was hanging in my cockpit. The band literally stopped playing to watch me dock when they figured out what I was trying to do. I nailed it using the above technique. The lead singer even left the stage to come shake my hand in disbelief.

So in summary, there will always be a little forward and aft movement however negligible it may be. And the bow and stern will always be "adjusting" back and forth to fine tune their positions because you will always be fine tuning the movement of the boat. And like I said, if you can walk a twin perfectly sideways with no adjustments and no forward or aft movement and no movement of bow or stern, I will jump on an airplane to witness. I will even buy Walt(Seahorse) a ticket as well so he can buy the beer!!!!
Hey - Invite Marin too, if you can find his PMing gost self. As I recall, on some thread when he still played for real in TF, he was completely in the camp that twin screws could not walk a boat accurately sideways! Maybe I'm incorrect... but, in my case, memory loss seems to still be held in abeyance! LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Can...can't...................run enough boats and sooner or later one will surprise the daylights out of you for what it can/can't do...

But.... to say try this or try that with your boat is great,,,but don't be surprised when it won't do as someone else is convinced/or tries to convince you it will...especially when you need it the most.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #46
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Can...can't...................run enough boats and sooner or later one will surprise the daylights out of you for what it can/can't do...

But.... to say try this or try that with your boat is great,,,but don't be surprised when it won't do as someone else is convinced/or tries to convince you it will...especially when you need it the most.
Looks like one thing my Tolly can surely do is put money in my pocket every day! So yours should be able to do the same for you...

Oh Crap... I just woke up. Nice dream though!
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #47
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
you running her commercially?

most boats try to suck you dry....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #48
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
you running her commercially?

most boats try to suck you dry....
Pleasure boats can do anything we wish them to do in a dream... even put $$$ in our pockets!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
When I went down the flight of 8 locks in downtown Ottawa, the other boat in the locks had a topless Québécois sunning herself on deck. No one was watching me. I wasn't watching me. Oh, my wife was watching me.
But what if your wife didn't bother to watch you. That might mean she was taking you for granted - or didn't care - that would be worse, yes..?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #50

A quick test

Ok we've heard the big hubub about how to force ones boat to walk sideways and whether that is even possible. So here's a simple test. Start the boat at your dock. Switch the gears and the helm to whatever position you believe will walk your boat "sideways". Observe what happens. IF there is NO tension on ANY of your sidelines AND your boat is being forced toward the dock then your maneuver is successful. If how ever you note any tension on any lines you will know that the sidewise maneuver is not perfect. Try adjusting throttle, rudder position etc. until you achieve the no tension/pressure on the dock and you have discovered the "magic" setting that works. Understand this condition is ONLY applicable for the particular conditions (wind/current etc.) that the boat is under at that particular time. One could even try this in different conditions and calibrate the results.

This is how I exercise my engines before changing oil assuming the conditions aren't right for taking her out for a short cruise. Puts a bit of a load on the engines and allows them to get to operating temps while sitting at the dock.

Regards,

RB Cooper
rbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #51

City: Benicia CA
To show you how crazy these theories are - this theory says to do the same as post #1, but it says you will move to starboard, not port!

http://www.captainhugenot.com/images...EW_06-2004.pdf

Which one is correct? The one that works on your boat.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #52
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hey - Invite Marin too, he was completely in the camp that twin screws could not walk a boat accurately sideways!
You sure Art??? thought he wished he had a twin because he couldn't crab walk his boat. Didn't he say his next boat was going to have a twin...
Old 10-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #53
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
You sure Art??? thought he wished he had a twin because he couldn't crab walk his boat. Didn't he say his next boat was going to have a twin...
His boat has twins! And he prefers twins. Who knows....His next boat might have even more!!!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #54
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsail View Post
To show you how crazy these theories are - this theory says to do the same as post #1, but it says you will move to starboard, not port!

http://www.captainhugenot.com/images...EW_06-2004.pdf

Which one is correct? The one that works on your boat.
One of my closest friends is a Houston Pilot. He parks ships for a living. He said more and more ships now are twin engine power so his last trip to the "ship simulator" in Europe, the focus was docking twin engine ships. He was trying to teach me and his advice based on his training was in line with this link. I never could get my head around it and my boat didn't really respond. Maybe I will try again....
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #55
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Oh I knew that, was just trying to get a rise out of the young fellow.