Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Wakemakers

I know this has been discussed multiple times here, but these boaters who toss others around with their giant wakes continue to perplex me.

Latest example. Cruising through a narrow part of the ICW with very shallow 2’ banks, going about 7 knots. Lots of boat traffic going both ways even though not a weekend (Florida). I see the wakemaker with the multiple white nauticles coming, and try to get ready. Wakemaker is actually going at what looks like a fast idle so I pull back to about 4 knots to let him pass thinking that this is a considerate boater.

Ha! At about 20 yards behind my stern he nails it and starts to plow water and throws a massive wake. I don’t have time or the room in the channel to escape, so I roll helplessly while all manner of crap flys from the shelves, wife and kids stumble around, other small boats and kayaks bob around in the massive wake violently.

After the waves subside I get on the radio, using some of my most colorful F word combinations, and explain how I slowed down so he could make a pass at a fast idle and not rock my world like a hurricane. I did get a response from him. He said “roger that”. So maybe I made an impact, but I doubt it. I realize I should use my radio to let them know how to pass me in advance, and I’ve tried that, but sometimes they come up on me too quickly and I’m preoccupied trying to take evasive action, and many times they don’t respond to my polite radio calls (I’m always polite pre-wake).

So my question is always, why do they do this? I look like a sailboater with my mast, so I wonder if they do it on purpose to watch how I roll, but that doesn’t seem right. Who would do that? I keep marking it down to simple ignorance or oblivion to their surroundings, but I’m just wondering if there is a better explanation why many of these boaters throw the LARGEST POSSIBLE WAKE WHILE PASSING IN A NARROW CHANNEL.

(Rant over)
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
More than once I’ve heard “you shouldn’t be out here if you can’t take it”. I’ve got a small video camera I keep ready at the helm to record these bozos. We need a website where we can upload these kinds of videos.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #3
Guru

Really. Sheesh. So some make these big wakes just for kicks? That’s interesting/sad/disturbing/frustrating.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
I hate wakers as well however when passing it does seem to take forever when going 7 kts and the other boat is going 4. Meanwhile the passing boat is blocking the channel.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Guru

Wakemakers

Possibly true. But, he was easily gaining on me even before I slowed down to my slow idle, so I doubt it.

I should have gotten on the radio and told him what I was doing and what my plan was, but didn’t seem to have the time after trying to get ready, telling passengers to get ready, etc. I need to remember to radio first I guess.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Drive down the middle of the channel. Make them slow down, call you on the radio, or risk running aground when they pass you in a narrow channel. I refuse to make an inconsiderate boater's life easy.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Guru

Wakemakers

Good idea. I suffer from being over considerate, thinking these big powerboats will do the right thing.

I’m getting tired of it. I like the idea of forcing them to call me.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
Guru

Sailboaters rarely respond to a slow pass radio call. Dont know why but that is my experience.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #9
Guru

Wakemakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Sailboaters rarely respond to a slow pass radio call. Dont know why but that is my experience.

Yeah, I’ve wondered about that. I’ve also had that experience of trying to hail a sailboater and not getting a response. I think many of them don’t have the radio in the cockpit but inside the cabin, so either they don’t hear it or don’t or can’t leave the wheel to answer. Or, many might be on channel 9 talking to bridge operators. I know sometimes I forget to switch back to 16 if I’m in the ICW with lots of bridges.

I like OC Diver’s solution of hogging the middle of the channel and forcing THEM to call me for a pass. Not my nature, but I’ll try it.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
I have never understood why someone would have the radii down below instead of at the helm. Can someone explain that?
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
A pass can be done without a huge wake (not no wake) pretty quickly even if the slower boat (say 7 knots or less) doesn't slow down.

If the passing boat keeps up its speed till nearly abeam you even with massive wake....you are moving so you stay in front of it...then the passer slows quickly...the bow falls and the stern rises so the wake diminishes....the momentum and a bit of throttle will get them past to where you just cut in behind them and as long as they are far enough past or you get in behind them quickly...its no musss or fuss.

the worst is when things go well but they throttle up just off your bow and dig a big hole that now you are up to and fall sideways into.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
Guru

Most radios have a scan feature. Handhelds are not expensive for use in the cockpit.
Hogging the channel is right up there with throwing a wake IMO
Old 06-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b. "...Handhelds are not expensive..." You're talking about sail boaters here.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. b. "...Handhelds are not expensive..." You're talking about sail boaters here.

Lol. That’s what I was thinking.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 AM   #15
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I drive in the middle of the channel and I don't hold a steady course. F 'em.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
sorry for the brain lapse
Old 06-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So when I have a idiot go by me like Car explains and I can see thier boat name I simply do this. VHF 16

Sécurité Sécurité Sécurité

Please be aware MV XYZ is operating his vessel in a reckless manner and could cause damage to your vessel.

If he is listening on 16, almost immediately I have seen them throttle back and sometimes the USCG will comment to MV XYZ.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #18
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So when I have a idiot go by me like Car explains and I can see thier boat name I simply do this. VHF 16

Sécurité Sécurité Sécurité

Please be aware MV XYZ is operating his vessel in a reckless manner and could cause damage to your vessel.

If he is listening on 16, almost immediately I have seen them throttle back and sometimes the USCG will comment to MV XYZ.....
Now THAT is a perfect response!

One time in a similar situation (tight channel, no room to maneuver, big waker) I heard a guy politely ask the offending boater "Hey, Skipper of MV XXX, nice boat. What marina are you heading to?" When the guy cluelessly responded, the caller said something to the effect "Good, I'll meet you there and knock the living sh*t out of you!"

I don't typically condone violence, but sometimes a good comeuppance can be so satisfying...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #19

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
I have never understood why someone would have the radii down below instead of at the helm. Can someone explain that?
The nav station on a sailboat is down below, not in the cockpit. That is where most sailboats have the VHF.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #20
Guru

So the GPS chartplotter is down out of sight as well????