Wakemakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I know this has been discussed multiple times here, but these boaters who toss others around with their giant wakes continue to perplex me.

Latest example. Cruising through a narrow part of the ICW with very shallow 2’ banks, going about 7 knots. Lots of boat traffic going both ways even though not a weekend (Florida). I see the wakemaker with the multiple white nauticles coming, and try to get ready. Wakemaker is actually going at what looks like a fast idle so I pull back to about 4 knots to let him pass thinking that this is a considerate boater.

Ha! At about 20 yards behind my stern he nails it and starts to plow water and throws a massive wake. I don’t have time or the room in the channel to escape, so I roll helplessly while all manner of crap flys from the shelves, wife and kids stumble around, other small boats and kayaks bob around in the massive wake violently.

After the waves subside I get on the radio, using some of my most colorful F word combinations, and explain how I slowed down so he could make a pass at a fast idle and not rock my world like a hurricane. I did get a response from him. He said “roger that”. So maybe I made an impact, but I doubt it. I realize I should use my radio to let them know how to pass me in advance, and I’ve tried that, but sometimes they come up on me too quickly and I’m preoccupied trying to take evasive action, and many times they don’t respond to my polite radio calls (I’m always polite pre-wake).

So my question is always, why do they do this? I look like a sailboater with my mast, so I wonder if they do it on purpose to watch how I roll, but that doesn’t seem right. Who would do that? I keep marking it down to simple ignorance or oblivion to their surroundings, but I’m just wondering if there is a better explanation why many of these boaters throw the LARGEST POSSIBLE WAKE WHILE PASSING IN A NARROW CHANNEL.

(Rant over)

Last edited:
More than once I’ve heard “you shouldn’t be out here if you can’t take it”. I’ve got a small video camera I keep ready at the helm to record these bozos. We need a website where we can upload these kinds of videos.

Really. Sheesh. So some make these big wakes just for kicks? That’s interesting/sad/disturbing/frustrating.

I hate wakers as well however when passing it does seem to take forever when going 7 kts and the other boat is going 4. Meanwhile the passing boat is blocking the channel.

Last edited:
Possibly true. But, he was easily gaining on me even before I slowed down to my slow idle, so I doubt it.

I should have gotten on the radio and told him what I was doing and what my plan was, but didn’t seem to have the time after trying to get ready, telling passengers to get ready, etc. I need to remember to radio first I guess.

Last edited:
Drive down the middle of the channel. Make them slow down, call you on the radio, or risk running aground when they pass you in a narrow channel. I refuse to make an inconsiderate boater's life easy.

Ted

Good idea. I suffer from being over considerate, thinking these big powerboats will do the right thing.

I’m getting tired of it. I like the idea of forcing them to call me.

Last edited:
Sailboaters rarely respond to a slow pass radio call. Dont know why but that is my experience.

Yeah, I’ve wondered about that. I’ve also had that experience of trying to hail a sailboater and not getting a response. I think many of them don’t have the radio in the cockpit but inside the cabin, so either they don’t hear it or don’t or can’t leave the wheel to answer. Or, many might be on channel 9 talking to bridge operators. I know sometimes I forget to switch back to 16 if I’m in the ICW with lots of bridges.

I like OC Diver’s solution of hogging the middle of the channel and forcing THEM to call me for a pass. Not my nature, but I’ll try it.

I have never understood why someone would have the radii down below instead of at the helm. Can someone explain that?

A pass can be done without a huge wake (not no wake) pretty quickly even if the slower boat (say 7 knots or less) doesn't slow down.

If the passing boat keeps up its speed till nearly abeam you even with massive wake....you are moving so you stay in front of it...then the passer slows quickly...the bow falls and the stern rises so the wake diminishes....the momentum and a bit of throttle will get them past to where you just cut in behind them and as long as they are far enough past or you get in behind them quickly...its no musss or fuss.

the worst is when things go well but they throttle up just off your bow and dig a big hole that now you are up to and fall sideways into.

Most radios have a scan feature. Handhelds are not expensive for use in the cockpit.
Hogging the channel is right up there with throwing a wake IMO

I drive in the middle of the channel and I don't hold a steady course. F 'em.

So when I have a idiot go by me like Car explains and I can see thier boat name I simply do this. VHF 16

Sécurité Sécurité Sécurité

Please be aware MV XYZ is operating his vessel in a reckless manner and could cause damage to your vessel.

If he is listening on 16, almost immediately I have seen them throttle back and sometimes the USCG will comment to MV XYZ.....

So when I have a idiot go by me like Car explains and I can see thier boat name I simply do this. VHF 16

Please be aware MV XYZ is operating his vessel in a reckless manner and could cause damage to your vessel.

If he is listening on 16, almost immediately I have seen them throttle back and sometimes the USCG will comment to MV XYZ.....

Now THAT is a perfect response!

:thumb:

One time in a similar situation (tight channel, no room to maneuver, big waker) I heard a guy politely ask the offending boater "Hey, Skipper of MV XXX, nice boat. What marina are you heading to?" When the guy cluelessly responded, the caller said something to the effect "Good, I'll meet you there and knock the living sh*t out of you!"

I don't typically condone violence, but sometimes a good comeuppance can be so satisfying...

I have never understood why someone would have the radii down below instead of at the helm. Can someone explain that?

The nav station on a sailboat is down below, not in the cockpit. That is where most sailboats have the VHF.

I remember a lot of sailboats including mine with below nav stations....

but in todays age...many have placed nav/comms equipment at the helm. Even if its just a command mike setup or many have handhelds....

must be the fresh batteries in question.. :)

We went out for ride today . I didn’t realize it was the cannon ball run . Offshore racing boats . We took secondary channel as always . It runs parallel to main channel. The boats in the main channel about 4 at a time hauling ass . It was kinda cool watching them . There was probably 50 boats . We turned around in the channel we were in and all of the sudden one flew by me on my port side about 20 yards away throwing a huge wake . It was like he came from nowhere. So ii did what I always do and turned into the wake not looking behind me , well you guessed it there was another one right behind him . He had to alter his course a little but man it was close. I was surprised to see them in this narrow secondary channel .

Last edited:
As none of us were there to know the exact situation, we can't know exactly what took place or why. Using F word combinations wasn't likely to find out why either. On the other hand, carrying on a constructive conversation with one in this situation is generally impossible. It is worth the try though if perhaps it allows you to educate a little and the other person really listens. Maybe they'll learn where they went wrong if their intent wasn't to hurt you.

As to crap flying from the shelves, I assume on any given day we will get badly waked or run into rough seas so the only way to protect against that is having things fixed so it won't and can't happen. Wife and kids are more worrisome and most boats could use more hand rails.

Sometimes it's an inconsiderate captain, sometimes it's an inexperienced captain.

The first time I ran my boat up the ICW, I had about 5 hours seat time in vessels over 26 ft. I asked for a slow pass and the sailboat captain slowed to idle speed and moved to one side of the channel. I, however, did not slow my speed sufficiently, and waked him much more than necessary.

The captain hailed me on the radio, and politely but firmly pointed out my error. I apologized and learned a lesson that's stuck with me.

So, before you curse or offer to meet him at the next marina, offer the offending waker a brief lesson in passing etiquette. His response will tell you whether he's a jackass or just plain ignorant.

True. I should have been polite. I got mad and the f words came out.

LOL, Perfect-2

Good idea. I suffer from being over considerate, thinking these big powerboats will do the right thing.

I’m getting tired of it. I like the idea of forcing them to call me.

My boat actually throws a smaller wake if I'm up on plane. But if you'd like me to slow down enough to cause a small tsunami for you, no problem!

I try to be as considerate as I can at all times, but in place like the ICW where there could be a barge coming at you just around the bend, I'd rather pass and get it over with, than put either of us in danger. Your lamp may fall off your shelf, but at least we'll both still have our boats.

Wifey B: That's me when I get angry, F words and more. :eek: Meanwhile my hubby tells someone off politely and calmly. Freaky.

I postulate your hubby's calm reaction is due to his knowledge that anger of a person his size is to be held as last resort... and only used to invigorate his energy... if necessary. Otherwise, bad things might happen to the offender.

I know that is why I hold my anger in check!

Channel 16 “PAN PAN PAN. Dangerous inconsiderate Captain driving ________ named _______ heading _____ currently at marker______ huge wake, weaving must be under the influence, barely missed us. 2 People down perhaps injuries, property damaged, accessing damage to people and property. PAN PAN PAN” and repeat.

While this is going on on channel 16, every cell phone on the boat calling 911 with a report. Likely the offending boat will be pulled over by authorities at the next inlet and “inspected” throughout. Maybe even breathlized....

I am not gonna cuss em, not gonna threaten em, I am gonna try to F-em

Back
Top Bottom