Wakemakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for pointing that out. In general terms, one cannot compare the average SeaRay driver with a sailor of a comparable sized vessel. There is no comparison. Having cone from a power boating environment many years ago and getting involved in sailing I was truly amazed at how much I thought I knew but really didn't. I started to learn when I started sailing!

I know of very knowledgeable owners of Sea Rays and a heck of a lot of sailors who are ignorant of all boating rules and regulations as well as lacking in their sailing skills. Don't make generalities about the superiority of sailors and inferiority of Sea Ray owners. There are knowledgeable and skilled boat handlers among both and totally lost boat handlers among both.

"Rudeness is a little man's imitation of power"

Drive down the middle of the channel. Make them slow down, call you on the radio, or risk running aground when they pass you in a narrow channel. I refuse to make an inconsiderate boater's life easy.

Ted
You get my vote! June 29, I idled out of the Myrtle Beach Yacht Club, moved to the eastern side of the ICW for a mini-sportfishing boat that came out of the marina behind me, to pass. Rather than slip around, he powered up both engines wide open. Though I tried, there was practically zero time to cut into his wake. Remembering the words of the late Malcolm Forbes, "Rudeness is a little man's imitation of power" enabled me to bite my tongue. Our friend, Karma will catch up with him, I'm certain -- and I hope I'm around to witness it.

Thank you for pointing that out. In general terms, one cannot compare the average SeaRay driver with a sailor of a comparable sized vessel. There is no comparison. Having cone from a power boating environment many years ago and getting involved in sailing I was truly amazed at how much I thought I knew but really didn't. I started to learn when I started sailing!

Dream on...most boaters are pretty well down the knowledge tree...both power and sail.

In the forest of human qualities, You might as well throw in the Common Sense tree, the Consideration tree, and the Ego tree while your at it.

In the forest of human qualities, You might as well throw in the Common Sense tree, the Consideration tree, and the Ego tree while your at it.

I didnt mean to insinuate that boaters were generally stupid...... just not very knowledgeable about their hobby.

Most people who own boats, maintain boats and cruise boats have to be pretty smart in the big scheme of things.

So those other categories to me are a lot less generic stereotypes of boaters....I an not as qualified to use those labels as I am about the boating knowledge tree.

I wonder why my degree in Lanscape Architecture didnt brush up on those other trees..... :D

Not all that many people who own cruising sailboats are actually sailors. And almost all those who do, do so maybe 5% of the time.

The common thread of this string I see folks wishing for just a bit of common courtesy and consideration from the wakers.

AND the lack of courtesy from those who fish in main channels, don't listen to the radio, don't understand passing including those who think slow passes are done one way or are the correct way, etc...etc....etc....

The common thread of this string I see folks wishing for just a bit of common courtesy and consideration from the wakers.

And from the potential waked. It's all about courtesy and cooperation on the water. No different than land.

I am kinda surprised we don't hear of more serious "water rage" incidents.

What do you do if the boat you are trying to pass has no radio or does not monitor it? Horn and loudhailer? My no-wake speed with a 63’ lwl is going to be more than the guy with a 28’ lwl, do I spend 10 minutes creeping past him, blocking the channel or do I bump the throttle up a knot or two and drag a wake? Or is the speed on the ICW set by the slowest boat and we just have to get in line behind the Catalina 22 with a 3 1/2 hp outboard?

What do you do if the boat you are trying to pass has no radio or does not monitor it? Horn and loudhailer? My no-wake speed with a 63’ lwl is going to be more than the guy with a 28’ lwl, do I spend 10 minutes creeping past him, blocking the channel or do I bump the throttle up a knot or two and drag a wake? Or is the speed on the ICW set by the slowest boat and we just have to get in line behind the Catalina 22 with a 3 1/2 hp outboard?

There is no requirement, nor should there be any expectation of "no wake". You create a safe and moderate wake through a combination of speed and distance.

With that much waterline length, gliding past 28 footers should be easy. Getting by 50 plus footers is the challenge.

It's the ballet of getting around and the slower boat cutting in behind that makes it work better and faster.

I try to provide reasonable waves for boats along the way, but that does not mean no waves. I'll sweep as wide as I can and find decent speeds, but, unless in a no wake zone, I'm not going to provide no wake to boats hanging out in the channel.

I think this makes the most sense. The key of course is what is “reasonable”. It is easy for me to complain about wakes because at my normal cruise speed of 7 knots, my wake very mild. However, I do understand that other boats may kick out a huge wake at a typical cruising speed. I think the decision process is much harder for those boats.

In season, there are lots of small boats fishing out in the Sound. I try to give them a wider berth but I see some boats that put out a huge wake and yet pass them within a boat length.

I know of very knowledgeable owners of Sea Rays and a heck of a lot of sailors who are ignorant of all boating rules and regulations as well as lacking in their sailing skills. Don't make generalities about the superiority of sailors and inferiority of Sea Ray owners. There are knowledgeable and skilled boat handlers among both and totally lost boat handlers among both.

I agree completely. There are inherent differences between sail and power, but there are simply greater differences between people.

I agree completely. There are inherent differences between sail and power, but there are simply greater differences between people.

Therein lies root to many of the forever historic and too often repeat problems... of humanity!

We did come to resort to the load hailer when all else failed.

Look, if some doofus walks across the highway do you just whoosh right by him as close as possible? Personally I am not one to take it upon myself to dole out punishment for ignorance if I can avoid it. And people anchored or drifting in the channel fishing are one of my pet peeves. But am I going to behave in a way that could potentially capsize or injure them? Of course not. Five blasts of the air horns and dirty looks are about what we could muster. And yes we have been cussed and yelled at for producing what someone else thought was too much wake for their liking; sometimes I had to agree with them, others not. Stuff happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom