Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 AM   #21
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
There are some strange posts creeping in, once lost a thread may disappear into a parallel world, never to be seen again(except by RT Firefly )

To misquote an old friend;

“The thread stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail. But hope remains, if friends stay true.”

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:20 AM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
What would you do?
I would assume that this was going to happen at some point due to bozo boaters cruising the waterway, and take whatever steps are necessary to prevent damage. Use oversize fenders or long, wide fender boards depending on the kind of dock or pier you're up against, and keep things inside stowed in such a way that when a big wake does hit you unexpectedly, stuff won't get thrown all over. And we'd keep an eye out for boats approaching that are throwing out a big wake and not be in a physically precarious position when the wake hits. Doesn't sound like the most relaxing situation, but it seems to be the reality.

Taking the name/hailing port of a boat that does wake one badly is fine although, like others have already said, it's doubtful that any action will be taken unless there is an injury involved. But that is all after-the-fact stuff. There is no way to know when it's going to happen until it does, so the only thing I can see to do is be prepared at all times.

Either that or simply don't moor to exposed docks/piers where getting nailed by some inconsiderate boater's wake is a distinct possibility.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The boat might have been on autopilot.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
To misquote an old friend;

“The thread stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail. But hope remains, if friends stay true.”
That's beautiful, Andy.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Southwest Grand Prairie, Tx has a lake, Joe Poole. There is a nice protected cove called "The Cove" strangely enough. On any given weekend during the summer there would be a hundred or more boats anchored, grilling, beering, listening to music, swimming, floating and so forth. It was not the skiers that would come barreling through but the DA parents pulling a tube as if to show off the product of their loins. Throwing a wake and generally screwing up the works.
I came up with an idea....gill netting cut into 18" width in ohhh say 50 foot lengths stowed in a bucket. Then a potato (potatoe in Quail speak) gun with the potato attached to the mono net. See abuser coming, fire off the gun thereby stretching out the net in front of the boat. Boat runs over netting and finds props, seals and stops boat. Next stop, repair shop for lower unit repairs......I never did it but it was a nice fantasy. I always visioned the boat, engine off for a well deserved cussing from the crowd.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Boat on water = high probability at one time or another crossing paths with both inconsiderate and lousy boaters. I just accept the reality and put it out of my mind as soon as it's over. I just choose not to expend my energy dealing with a negative I can't change.

Now, where I live, I see quite a few citations written nearby for exceeding speed in a no wake zone. We have two type zones, "Slow speed minimum wake" and "Idle speed no wake." The former requires the boat to be off plane, while the latter requires the boat to go the minimum speed under which they can maintain their bearing. For the first we typically stay at 1000 rpm, for the second we drop to 700. But locally they are very serious about the zones. As a result you see minimal boats creating wakes.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We have two type zones, "Slow speed minimum wake" and "Idle speed no wake." The former requires the boat to be off plane, while the latter requires the boat to go the minimum speed under which they can maintain their bearing. For the first we typically stay at 1000 rpm, for the second we drop to 700. But locally they are very serious about the zones. As a result you see minimal boats creating wakes.
Worth Creek has another type of wake limitation. I believe the size of allowable wake is 16". I thought that was a crazy rule until I was passed by a boat (SeaRay of all things) throwing a big wake. With sea walls on both sides the wake was rebounding then coming back to meet its self. For the rest of the way it was like being in a washing machine.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
These wake threads are interesting to say the least.

On the one hand I see the poor guys point that gets waked sitting at a side tie.

On the other hand I see the "inconsiderate boaters" point that its not a no wake zone, and he is just cruising along enjoying his time on the water.

People comment that the boat "screamed by" throwing a huge wake, when in reality if he slowed down and slogged through the water he would throw an even larger wake. Unless he slowed all the way to displacement speeds.

For us, we get waked all the time. Tour boats, 50' charter boats, etc... Nobody slows down. We just take it in stride and prepare for it ahead of time. We choose not to anchor or moor in places that we can easily identify as being a high risk of being waked, and if we do we keep ourselves and our boat accordingly, expecting to be waked.

As far as a violation of law, I cannot comment on state laws, but federal law does not include a provision for wake related violations in uncontrolled waters, injury or damage, or not.

The statement or saying "you are responsible for all damage caused by your wake" is complete and utter fabrication made up by someone long ago teaching boater safety, and repeated so much that people actually believe it.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

The statement or saying "you are responsible for all damage caused by your wake" is complete and utter fabrication made up by someone long ago teaching boater safety, and repeated so much that people actually believe it.
You are correct unless a law is being broken. Otherwise their is an assumed risk on the part of the one harmed. It's like going to a baseball game and getting hit by a foul ball. If it's not a no-wake zone the assumption is there will be wake.

So right on Alaska, Kevin. Not a state of no-wake zones and you side tie in many places and you know ferries, charters, cruise ships, and commercial fishermen will be going by creating wakes. Often times too the marinas are located adjacent to where the ferries dock.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Google maps shows that it a lousy place for a marina. Look at that bridge opening!

That's like "camping" next to a highway.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:20 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Google maps shows that it a lousy place for a marina. Look at that bridge opening!

Jekyll Harbor Marina has much going for it. It is a convenient stop, swimming pool, decent restaurant, loaner bikes, and close to village. There is not a great amount of auto traffic over the bridge, and hardly any large trucks. For the inside slips (especially the ones in the corners of the main walk) can be problematic. (been there) There really have not been many wake problems on my visits. We have probably stopped there 8 or 10 times. Two of those were for 2 night stays. It is a good, friendly marina. During spring and fall get there early if you want a place to tie up.

Jekyll Harbor Marina

There is a similar situation at Isle of Hope Marina. I also consider it a good stop.

Isle Of Hope Marina in Savannah, Georgia, United States - Home
Old 08-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
......"you are responsible for all damage caused by your wake" .........
And if you take a trip up or down the AICW, you will see hundreds of homemade signs with that same warning nailed on private docks.

Some are even replicas of "official" signs with fake DNR emblems.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #33
Guru

In some parts of the ICW, you take the marinas where you find them. Jekyll Harbor Marina is one such marina and yes, it's a pretty decent place. Same for Isle of Hope Marina.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #34
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I agree it looks like a nice facility and do not mean anything against it. But to tie up parallel to a channel that close to a bridge opening and not expect a bad wake on occasion would be unrealistic. An inside tie perpendicular to the channel looks just fine.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

The Atlantic and Gulf Intracoastal Waterways are affectionately or sometimes not so affectionately called the "DITCH". It is made up of many narrow cuts and dredged portions connecting bays and rivers. Wide areas for anchoring are few and far between. You just have to sometimes squeeze into a narrow area with reversing currents. Even the flagship Charleston City Marina is right on the Ashley River near a major turn on the ICW.

Jekyll Harbor is on Jekyll Creek which is fairly narrow with a dredged channel. I think Isle of Hope Marina is on the Skidaway River that is wider, deeper, but has a faster current sometimes. You will not find marinas on the open bays for obvious reasons. They are usually on the narrower sections. All the marinas at Thunderbolt, GA are that way. Beaufort SC City Marina is that way. Barefoot Landing at Myrtle Beach is that way. Many more are in that situation.

Really the ICW works because most boaters understand the situation, and are courteous. There are always a few that aren't. On the whole it is pretty nice.

The ICW is our highway between cruising grounds. The Chesapeake Bay and gateway to the North is on one end. The Florida Keys and the gateway to the Bahamas on the other. Thank goodness for the ICW. It is a treasure.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #36
Guru

The ICW is everything Don says it is, but it's not just the highway for cruisers, many parts are also the playground for the local boaters, many of whom know little other than how to start the engine and put the boat in gear. It's best to just be prepared for these people.