Is this vulnerable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
I know I'll catch hell from at least one B but every time I look at these plastic inserts, I wonder about hull integrity.

Attachments

• 20160503_132815.jpg
    20160503_132815.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 138
Yes but looks are deceiving..designers and insurers are OK.with them...

As usual, will probably take more abuse than the crew will.....

Depends solely on the builder and design. Particular models of various makes (Cruisers, Azimut, Carver, SeaRay come to mind) have been notorious for developing leaks over time, due to hull flexing torsion or pressure from the weight above. Then there is the vulnerability to pilings (on flush windows) and the pulpits of other boats. Boats with designs like that are guilty until proven innocent to me, though aesthetics (often accompanied by resultant ergonomic issues) get them almost always thrown out of consideration anyway by both Ann and I.

I'm not in favor of the boat's design, but at least the skipper has spread the load over six fenders.

Hawg-I have always had exactly the same reaction. As PS noted, insurers seem to be fine with them. But if you do bump into something (or something bumps into you!), that has to be an awfully expensive fix. Can't replace part of that whole long sheet of plastic (or tempered glass). I can also imagine that finding and fixing a leak could be a bit of a nightmare. Besides, how much time do you really spend in cabins to need the expansive view? We sleep and that is about it.

George and THD, you hit all my thoughts and I'm glad I'm not being just overly old fashioned.

On our coast, I think they are an incident waiting to happen.
The right, or, I guess wrong, wave. Like the one that took the port hull off a trimaran a while back.

Even a helpful but green crew member with a misplaced fender.

clearly you guys have never been on a boat at anchor with big hull side windows...

A cave with a big window is no longer a cave..

I would imagine the cost to replace the window is on par with repairing the cored hull and completely repainting the side of the boat to not show a repair.

The sailing cat I spent a lot of time aboard in the BVI had them and the view past the admirals toes was all the more pleasant looking out that big window. . .

:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

Last edited:
I can see the advantages if you spend time below deck; I can't see myself ever owning a boat with windows like that. IMO, too many potential problems for a modest gain.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom