Voltage Sensitive Relay issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DLETF

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Buster
Vessel Make
North Sea Cape Classic 30
My trawler has a BEP Marine VSR that should combine the start & house batteries when the alternator produces 13.7 VDC or more. During a trip yesterday, I tested the start & house batteries with the following results:
Start battery: 13.88 VDC
House batteries: 13.08 VDC
Am I correct to assume that the BEP VSR is not functioning properly & should be replaced? If so, any recommendations for a new brand & model of VSR?
Thanks.

You could easily have a 0.18 volt error in your measuring device or the VSR was set a little high or both.

A VSR that pulls in at 13.7 sounds too low in any case. Many alternators don't get that high, maybe 13.5.

I like Yandina.com combiners. Their combiners are set to pull in at 13.3 V.

David

At 13.08 volts something is charging the house battery bank. Check the voltage several hours after beginning the cruise to see if the voltage is closer to the start battery. Also test the voltage drop across the vsr contacts

House banks are usually larger and get discharged more than the start batteries so it may take quite a bit longer to bring the house bank up to full charge. How long had you run the boat when you checked the voltage?

Also, you best test the VSR function at the VSR, not the batteries. House charge load can be very high, causing V drop in the cables. Seems there may not be an issue at all; but am a bit far away to know for sure!

Plan "B" might be an $18.00 RV solenoid.

When the engine runs it closes , doesn't give a damn about hundredths of a volt , it simply merges the banks.

At 13.08 volts something is charging the house battery bank. Check the voltage several hours after beginning the cruise to see if the voltage is closer to the start battery. Also test the voltage drop across the vsr contacts
The voltages were checked about 2 hours after beginning the cruise.

House banks are usually larger and get discharged more than the start batteries so it may take quite a bit longer to bring the house bank up to full charge. How long had you run the boat when you checked the voltage?
The start and house battery bank were being charged by the automatic battery charger until the shore power cord was disconnected. The voltage was checked about 2 hours after starting the cruise.

Back
Top Bottom