Old 05-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Visual-Prescription Dive Mask

Hi all boaters, swimmers, divers...

Due to decreasing vision clarity Iím in process of locating a facility for ordering a prescription dive mask. I have always done my own boat-bottom and apparatus cleaning, checking, replacing as needed on a 3 month basis.

Currently I'm contacting producers of prescription masks. Here I ask for recommendations on manufacturers who have provided good product and service at acceptable costs as well as fast order-receipt time spans.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks! - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.
This place in San Diego has a great reputation among free divers.

Another option, depending on your rx, is to buy a mask that has replacement prescription lenses.
My rx isn't very strong, so I buy a mask that has optional replacement lenses and change them out myself.

Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.
This place in San Diego has a great reputation among free divers.

Another option, depending on your rx, is to buy a mask that has replacement prescription lenses.
My rx isn't very strong, so I buy a mask that has optional replacement lenses and change them out myself.
Cool - Thanks for input!

I yesterday sent email with my prescript to Linda and Curt of PDM.

My rx scrip is pretty intense. PDM offer mask with optional replacement lens?

I swam free dives when younger (vision was better then) and do under boat maintenance these years with no prescript. Tried glasses under water with water touching them... it's a no-go. Maybe if could keep glasses underneath a mask with no water touching the glass it would work??

I look forward to prescript dive mask... a whole new world under boat should open-up for me!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Most major dive companies offer masks that you can put premade prescription lens in.

Unless your prescription is odd there is no need to get custom lens glued into a mask.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Most major dive companies offer masks that you can put premade prescription lens in.

Unless your prescription is odd there is no need to get custom lens glued into a mask.
You mean take a pair of script lenses out of frames and simply insert?

Have you a link to such mfg of masks?

I have a couple pair glasses with current rx. Got my first at Costco in wait for a more optioned pair of lens placed into my favorite frames.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
No the masks have interchangeable prescription lenses that snap in the frame of the dive mask.

Although there used to be mounts for dive masks where you could clip in a pair of glasses without the eye pieces on them to the face plate of a mask.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

City: Leesburg, VA
Most good dive shops should have a couple of brands of masks that have interchangeable prescription lenses. They come in .5 diopter steps. I think they go to about +/- 6. You can have different strengths in each lens. A really good dive shop will have a pool you can try them out in.

You should try them out before you buy. It took a couple of tries to get mine right. Directly applying my eyeglass prescription did not work out that well.

These lenses work fine for most people. If you have a severe astigmatism or very strong prescription you might not find lenses that work for you. You can get custom ground lenses to your prescription, but these are made to order. Dive magazines should have some of these companies listed.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
It's been a while since I did it, but I just bought a mask I liked and had my optician make lenses for it. He did that all the time.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
There is a company that makes a mask that will correct almost any prescription. The intersting thing is that it won't work with 20/20 vision. I have no idea how the technology works, but it's really amazing. My vision is 300/20 in one eye and 100/20 in the other. The mask gave me almost perfect vision underwater. The wierd thing is it didn't work out of the water.

I don't remember the brand name. I'll try to find it and post.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
There is a company that makes a mask that will correct almost any prescription. The intersting thing is that it won't work with 20/20 vision. I have no idea how the technology works, but it's really amazing. My vision is 300/20 in one eye and 100/20 in the other. The mask gave me almost perfect vision underwater. The wierd thing is it didn't work out of the water.

I don't remember the brand name. I'll try to find it and post.

Wow, that sounds awesome. Hope you recall or know how to find the brand name.

My rx prescription strength is called the "Dog". LOL Can You Guess Why!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
SeaVisionUSA

I have used SeaVision to make masks for me several times.

Very happy with the results - I can see!
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
It's made by Hyrdo Optics.

Diving Masks by HydroOptix -- Products -- 4.5DD Vision Guide

One lesson I learned the hard (and expensive) way is don't clean the lens inside or out with anything other than water. I gently cleaned mine with a toothbrush and scratched the coating. Ruined the mask.

But, until then it worked great.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Cobalt 293
Rx goggles?

You can do goggles for ~$20, and then have different Rx for each eye (if needed).

I use these:
Speedo Vanquisher Optical Goggle at SwimOutlet.com
Padeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
SeaVisionUSA

Thanks Henry. I've so far found this company does not do my depth of rx prescription. Planning to call them. - Art
Old 05-25-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
It's made by Hyrdo Optics.

Diving Masks by HydroOptix -- Products -- 4.5DD Vision Guide

One lesson I learned the hard (and expensive) way is don't clean the lens inside or out with anything other than water. I gently cleaned mine with a toothbrush and scratched the coating. Ruined the mask.

But, until then it worked great.
Thanks, Drake. This week I plan to call many recommended on posts.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:47 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While bonded lenses (glued in lenses) are ok, there really not the best choice. The mask that they are glued into is not optical glass, the glue between the lenses is not optical quality, and there is always a risk of the glue failing, developing an imperfection or the glue hazing. Single lense corrections offer the best quality of vision with no risk of glue failure.

Was in the scuba business for 27 years and sold maybe a thousand prescription masks. The bonded lenses probably had a 25% failure rate over a 10 year life. The masks with simple replacement lenses are great, provided you have only a minimal astigmatism. The best choice are the custom ground replacement lenses such as Sea Vision.

I have need a prescription mask for the last 15 years as my arms have gotten shorter. As you age most peoples close up vision goes first so you hold things further away. Reached a point where I couldn't hold the computer display for my rebreather far enough away to read it. This really isn't good when your in 250' of water. So I started with reading lenses only in the bottom half of my mask. For the last 7 years I have been wearing custom ground bifocal lenses from Sea Vision and have been extremely happy.

Final note: a properly made prescription mask doesn't have the same focus out of the water as your glasses. They adjust the prescription to take into account the water's apparent magnification.

Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
SeaVisionUSA

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #17

City: Ft. Myers, FL
OC is correct regarding out of water. I have bifocals in my mask, and the "bifocal" lenses are for up close work (reading gauges, etc). That will only be in focus underwater. My "main" lenses however do work out of water; I wear them when driving the boat in the pouring rain.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:13 AM   #18
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While bonded lenses (glued in lenses) are ok, there really not the best choice. The mask that they are glued into is not optical glass, the glue between the lenses is not optical quality, and there is always a risk of the glue failing, developing an imperfection or the glue hazing. Single lense corrections offer the best quality of vision with no risk of glue failure.

Was in the scuba business for 27 years and sold maybe a thousand prescription masks. The bonded lenses probably had a 25% failure rate over a 10 year life. The masks with simple replacement lenses are great, provided you have only a minimal astigmatism. The best choice are the custom ground replacement lenses such as Sea Vision.

I have need a prescription mask for the last 15 years as my arms have gotten shorter. As you age most peoples close up vision goes first so you hold things further away. Reached a point where I couldn't hold the computer display for my rebreather far enough away to read it. This really isn't good when your in 250' of water. So I started with reading lenses only in the bottom half of my mask. For the last 7 years I have been wearing custom ground bifocal lenses from Sea Vision and have been extremely happy.

Final note: a properly made prescription mask doesn't have the same focus out of the water as your glasses. They adjust the prescription to take into account the water's apparent magnification.

Ted
Thanks Ted - That's some in-depth experience you provide.

Again, Thanks! - Art
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #19
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpip95 View Post
OC is correct regarding out of water. I have bifocals in my mask, and the "bifocal" lenses are for up close work (reading gauges, etc). That will only be in focus underwater. My "main" lenses however do work out of water; I wear them when driving the boat in the pouring rain.
That's better than any other rain glasses I can think of.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #20

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
this is what i use. I think they work great. Call leisurepro for a better price than what they advertise on line. I got 2 pairs for about $40 each a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73671803_o1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	40577  

They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote