Old 06-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Psneed, I get your point. I bought the Weams and Plath to keep me in compliance, not because I think it will save my life. It does have some real advantages over pyro flares. At night if someone is looking for me, the continued flash will last much longer than all the old flares in my boat. It does have some disadvantages as well that you already noted. In the inland waters here the flsh can get lost in the general light clutter.

Today, I input my new MMSI into my DSC VHF radio. The radio us what I am counting on to get me help.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Psneed, I get your point. I bought the Weams and Plath to keep me in compliance, not because I think it will save my life. It does have some real advantages over pyro flares. At night if someone is looking for me, the continued flash will last much longer than all the old flares in my boat. It does have some disadvantages as well that you already noted. In the inland waters here the flsh can get lost in the general light clutter.

Today, I input my new MMSI into my DSC VHF radio. The radio us what I am counting on to get me help.
Hey...my thoughts exactly on buying one....but please don't try and tell me it is the greatest thing since sliced bread....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #23

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
I have a main Epirb and three plbs on board. I have the vhf sos function set up but I really have faith in my delorme In Reach satellite communicator. It sends sos with location as well as letting me have two way 125 character text messages. Just bought a Weems and Plath electric flare as well as having all the flares of all types that do become dated. Is it ever enough when in reality you are facing dire emergencies? Not for me. If something new comes up I will probably buy it too for overkill safety sake.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Just a note about keeping old flares and the 12 ga. flare gun shells as spares.

Unlike shotgun shells and metallic cartridge ammunition, they really do age quickly and don't work reliably even if they look like new. I removed the oldest stuff from my boat and my sons boat, took them home and we tried to set it off during 4th of July.

Only two of eight flare gun shells worked remotely close to design, the rest fell out of the barrel, smoldered on the ground literally at our feet.

The handhelds, if they light, all seemed to burn fine although there was a lot more splatter, dropping hot slag everywhere. Light and hold them way over the side if you use them aboard your boat. A couple had to be lit with a butane lighter as the striker material was too soft.

Just don't count on them if the chips are down.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:50 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not sure why your faith is in the Delorrme system as iit inot officially recognized as far as I know. EPIRBs/PLB are the gold standard as far as SAR goes...but I have heard good things ifor the DeLor me system as well.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
If I were going offshore I'd carry an Epirb or PLB for sure but after following Richard on Dauntless across the Atlantic with his Delorme, I'm sold on it as a backup. He was sending me text messages from the middle of the freaking Atlantic on a device that cost about 1/3 boat buck.
"Boat sank. Send help, with beer."