View from the wheelhouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunrise this morning. IMG_0415.JPG

Sunrise over Bruny Island Tasmania.

Attachments

• Mono-2227.jpg
    Mono-2227.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 94
Since "View from the wheelhouse" has long been forgotten and I like many here have the urge to post a picture ...

Somebody was requesting pics of Myers Chuck on Clarence Strait and I've recovered one. I'm a bit fond of this one and used it as my desktop pic for several years. I think it wound up in the POW tourist guide too.

Attachments

• 259744_234335599916345_7459970_o.jpg
    259744_234335599916345_7459970_o.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 91
Jesse Falls, Douglas Channel, north coast BC

Attachments

• Jesse Falls 1.jpg
    Jesse Falls 1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 107
Since "View from the wheelhouse" has long been forgotten and I like many here have the urge to post a picture ...

Somebody was requesting pics of Myers Chuck on Clarence Strait and I've recovered one. I'm a bit fond of this one and used it as my desktop pic for several years. I think it wound up in the POW tourist guide too.

Nice pic Eric...but yeah...just a bit too much clutter, I think... :D

How about a view of the pilothouse? Taken yesterday heading up Jervis Inlet to Princess Louisa Inlet...

Attachments

• Pilothouse copy.jpg
    Pilothouse copy.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 66
This morning at the Keppels.
This'll be it for several days waiting for the raw water pump rebuild.
May even be for a few months :)

Sit back, have a few rums and watch everyone anchored late and clear out early on their mad rush north to the Whitsundays.

Attachments

• IMG_20170614_070447.jpg
    IMG_20170614_070447.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20170614_070344.jpg
    IMG_20170614_070344.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 68
This morning at the Keppels.
This'll be it for several days waiting for the raw water pump rebuild.
May even be for a few months :)

Sit back, have a few rums and watch everyone anchored late and clear out early on their mad rush north to the Whitsundays.

I just watched the latest sailing LaVagabond episode. They have been in the Whitsundays for a few weeks and it looks amazing. I would love to cruise that area one day. Rent a boat.

Do you know those kids? They are from somewhere in Australia. Probably a dumb question-- Australia is a big place.

https://youtu.be/L_zK40Evgds

Don't know them and the Whitsundays are incredibly overrated.
Far to many tourists, charter boats, high prices and officialdom for me.
Wanker to water ratio is very high.

Don't know them and the Whitsundays are incredibly overrated.
Far to many tourists, charter boats, high prices and officialdom for me.
Wanker to water ratio is very high.

Wanker to water ratio. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Nice pic Eric...but yeah...just a bit too much clutter, I think... :D

Pete,
No clutter in the first pic unless you consider my sunshade clutter. In the second pic most of the stuff on the forecabin was clutter and has been dealt w a long time ago. These are old pics.
I must have said something to upset you to promote you to critisize my clutter. It's actually none of your business.

Ooooooo...

Kynoch? Mussel? Poison? Culpepper?

After Klemtu, Meyers to Chapple, then to Weinburg, then to Spicer and crossed Hecate. Now in Sandspit readying for Gwaii Haanas.

Freddy the freeloader, as we travel up Klemtu Passage.
IMG_1975.jpg

After Klemtu, Meyers to Chapple, then to Weinburg, then to Spicer and crossed Hecate. Now in Sandspit readying for Gwaii Haanas.

Awesome. Have fun sponging it all in.

JDCAVE,
Now that you're there get over to Queen Charlotte City and rent a car. Go north to Tlell, Port Clements and Masset. Don't miss the museums in Port Clements and Masset. Go east from Masset along the North Beach. When you get to Tow Hill (400' high) the road ends. You can't drive the car on the beach so you'll need to walk fron there east on the beach if you wish. In the winter this beach is covered w 2' of seaweed. You can fill a small PU truck w Cockles (clams) from the seaweed. The North Beach leads east to Rose Spit. You almost certainly won't walk out there as it's clost to 15 miles to the end. Look on the charts and beyond Rose Spit there is a 10' tidal overfall. Don't wanna be near it in your boat in a spring ebb tide. And combined w a NW wind it's about the worst place for a boat you could imagine. But that North Beach is amazing. Dune buggies (there's a big race every year) can go 100mph on the beach where there are no eskers (ridges). Also there is a hiking trail east from Tow Hill that will lead to the east beach .. extremely different than the north. Chris and I walked about half way across in 03 and saw the thickest moss ever. Beautiful walk in the forest. There's another trail out of Tlell alond the Tlell River where Eagles fly among the trees.

Tie your boat up at Queen Charolette City and go north. You can also drive west to Rennell Sound on the Ocean side of the island. The grade down to the beach is steep so check w the car rental people before going down the hill. There where no bears in the Charolette's when I lived there but we saw a number of black bears when we were there in 03. Bear spray my be advised.

As to the south end of Moresby Is I've not been down there. But there is plentiful info in QC City about the park down there. There was nothing but a couple of cabins on South Moresby when I lived in Masset in the 70's. You may know all about the south park anyway.

Yup. Graham and Moresby Islands are completely different worlds!

Thanks Eric. We are renting a car and travelling around in the QCC area. We spent a week up the north Island in 2011. It was that and other WC experiences that promoted us to get a large boat to see the coast. We've been to Tlell and walked to the wreck of the Pesuta . I've seen Tow Hill and dug Razor Clams with the Haida on North Beach: in the time it took me to dig my 24 razor clams, he'd filled 5x5 gallon pails (he was fishing them commercially)! But I should say, I have a menu for the meals for my last month on earth, and Razor Clams are listed prominently!

Jim

Cooking Razor Clams...
Razor Clams.jpg

That is a great 1st world photo if I've ever seen one... gotta luv boating!

That is a great 1st world photo if I've ever seen one... gotta luv boating!

The cabin had an outhouse, water collected from the roof filled a cistern to wash dishes and there was no electricity, but it had the best view in the world!

Jim

The cabin had an outhouse, water collected from the roof filled a cistern to wash dishes and there was no electricity, but it had the best view in the world!

Jim

I understand and appreciate your post. Back when... I've done plenty out back jaunts on New England islands as well as upper Sierra Nevada Mountains. Some of the jaunts lasted over a year. 1st world is 1st world... no matter where it happens, or where you take it to, or where you make it happen!!

:D :dance:

Nomad Willy;562134[B said:
]Notice how clutter free [/B]the "view from the wheelhouse" is. Cable lifelines are much smaller in dia than SS rails and none at all are on the bow. Also no roll bar or anchor to muss up the fwd view..
Eric, I know how you feel about "Willy" (you love her as we all love our boats) but when it comes to "clutter free" views, how about these two?

Attachments

• 5:31:17  sandpiper on San Diego Bay.jpg
    5:31:17 sandpiper on San Diego Bay.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2469.jpg
    IMG_2469.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 108
Iszat the bridge that replaced the Coronado ferry? When I was at North Island I took the nickel snacher most all the time. Kept my car in town (SD).
GG what is that monster building on the left?
I won't mention anybody elses clutter but Pete may notice the rag in your FB pic.

Iszat the bridge that replaced the Coronado ferry? (yes) When I was at North Island I took the nickel snacher most all the time. Kept my car in town (SD).
GG what is that monster building on the left?
I won't mention anybody elses clutter but Pete may notice the rag in your FB pic. :lol:
Let me see....that's definitely a hotel but I don't know which one! The rag is for wiping off the finger prints on the MFDs .

Last edited:
Let me see....that's definitely a hotel but I don't know which one! The rag is for wiping off the finger prints on the MFDs .

That's the Hilton hotel. I actually stayed there about a month ago, very nice.

Pender Harbor B.C.

Windy rainy day, waiting out the weather to run up to Jervis Inlet.

Attachments

• IMG_20170615_135546.jpg
    IMG_20170615_135546.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 92
Old drive bye's.

1. Finlayson Channel I think.

2. Monckton Inlet. Principe Channel.

Attachments

• DSCF0405 copy.jpg
    DSCF0405 copy.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0375 copy.jpg
    DSCF0375 copy.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 91
Close encounters...B.C. Ferries

Sunshine Coast, British Columbia.

Attachments

• DSCN0979.jpg
    DSCN0979.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0987.jpg
    DSCN0987.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 68
Current view from the PH.

Typical foggy, rainy, cool June evening.
IMG_20170617_212905449.jpg

Pete,
No clutter in the first pic unless you consider my sunshade clutter. In the second pic most of the stuff on the forecabin was clutter and has been dealt w a long time ago. These are old pics.
I must have said something to upset you to promote you to critisize my clutter. It's actually none of your business.

Ah, jeez, dear Eric, you're losing your sensayuma. I was joking...because on your foredeck there IS NO clutter..! It's called 'overstatement', doncha know..? :D
The cheesy grin emoji should have alerted yuh. :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom