Video tour of our new to is 46’ Marine Trader!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve91T

Guru
Vessel Name
Abeona
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 47’ Sundeck
We are beyond excited! Last weekend we packed the truck with the kids and all of our boat stuff we wanted to keep on the new boat and headed for Florida. We totally underestimated how much work it was to get settled in. Of course everything takes 3 times longer with two little ones to take care of. We spent a couple of days making trash runs, putting furniture together and cleaning...lots of cleaning.

One thing we really wanted to do was take her for a spin before we left. I adjusted the starboard engines idle up just a little and asked the dock master to give us a hand being that this was my first time running such a large boat. Didn’t help that the marine is really tight! But it went really well.

She’s a 1986 Marine Trader Sundeck with 3 cabins, twin 225 Lehman’s and a westerbeke 8 kw genny. The PO purchased her and had her painted. There literally isn’t a scratch on her. Plans changed before they got to the inside.

We cleaned and organized as much as we could before we had to go, so please excuse the mess. We’ll take care of the rest next time.

One thing I can’t believe is how stable she is. We would have been miserable in those conditions in our 31’ Mainship. This thing was rock solid!

Another plus is we found a brand new still in the box dry bildge system. I need to look into it a little more, but I think it keeps the bildge bone dry. Also we found a remote controlled LED spot light still in the box.

I have a ton of questions, but I’ll separate those into new threads.

Enjoy the pics and videos!

Attachments

• 0AEBA77E-C1F7-47DA-A917-73CF5348449E.jpg
    0AEBA77E-C1F7-47DA-A917-73CF5348449E.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 89
  • C9A07CBE-2A9E-4E88-94DB-B4C1117C8E3A.jpg
    C9A07CBE-2A9E-4E88-94DB-B4C1117C8E3A.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 87
  • A41E0549-6CC2-4188-870C-FDBDA3ED57BB.jpg
    A41E0549-6CC2-4188-870C-FDBDA3ED57BB.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 93
  • CBF02899-3743-4E23-9C9A-883193C44595.jpg
    CBF02899-3743-4E23-9C9A-883193C44595.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 73
  • F24BE9E7-0B5C-4477-B2CD-65E9F4465CA2.jpg
    F24BE9E7-0B5C-4477-B2CD-65E9F4465CA2.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 84
  • BCE2B066-3A8B-4C50-AB57-84825006D779.jpg
    BCE2B066-3A8B-4C50-AB57-84825006D779.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for sharing. Enjoy it! I think we are right behind you in the process on a similar(ish) boat.

Nice videos Steve. Great layouts on those MTs. Well done! It's also nice to see folks with younger kids getting into the trawler thing - what a great way to grow up on the water!

Love it - your kids will love it also:thumb: We are enjoying our new to us 42' CHB Sundeck - but will get to enjoy it with our kids, and their kids:thumb::thumb:

Congrats!

Congrats - lots of pics of children on the water please!

Thanks guys! Yeah the kids love it...well the 4 year old does, the 6 month old just wants to know when he gets to eat again.

Actually the boat is a 47, not 46. My mistake.

The list of things to do is to get the windless working, fix the cooling issue with the genny and install some electronics...mainly radar. Oh and come up with a name! Right now she is Emmy B. We want to change it, still working on that one.

Just watched the videos, nice. A couple of points, is there another escape hatch in the aft cabin besides the one in the transom? My concern is in an emergency can you climb through the ladder rungs on the swim platform to get out of the aft cabin? You might give it a try and see if everyone fits through the rungs before there is a real emergency if you don’t have a hatch in the sundeck, the video does not show the overhead of the aft cabin. Second concern is are there any chains or rail that fills in the rear of the bow rail just in front of the wing doors?

Boat looks great. I have the same engines in my boat. Does the deck in the salon lift up for maintenance work on the engines? The starboard engine oil filter and water pump impeller on mine are a bear to get to. I have some tips on changing the impellers if you want them.

What was the top end on your boat? On the sea trial we got 17 knots out of mine but my boat is a 41 not a 46 like yours.

Congrats again, looks great

Just watched the videos, nice. A couple of points, is there another escape hatch in the aft cabin besides the one in the transom? My concern is in an emergency can you climb through the ladder rungs on the swim platform to get out of the aft cabin? You might give it a try and see if everyone fits through the rungs before there is a real emergency if you don’t have a hatch in the sundeck, the video does not show the overhead of the aft cabin. Second concern is are there any chains or rail that fills in the rear of the bow rail just in front of the wing doors?

Boat looks great. I have the same engines in my boat. Does the deck in the salon lift up for maintenance work on the engines? The starboard engine oil filter and water pump impeller on mine are a bear to get to. I have some tips on changing the impellers if you want them.

What was the top end on your boat? On the sea trial we got 17 knots out of mine but my boat is a 41 not a 46 like yours.

Congrats again, looks great

No hatch up top, good point about climbing out. We’ll give it a try.

Nothing fills that area forward of the wing doors. I have no idea why those railings are left open. Our plan was to run to Lowe’s and get some chains or something. We’ll have to wait until our next trip. Any idea what I should install? Maybe a two cables per side that are removable?

I need to clean up the engine room and familiarize myself with it. The starboard engine idle was low so I adjusted it. Of course it couldn’t have been the port engine where the injection pump is right there. It was kinda a pain. But now that I have it figured out I can do it in about 2 minutes. I need to change the oil in the mains, so any tips will be appreciated. There is an oil change system...I have no idea how it works.

Changing the oil is the easier thing than doing the impeller on my starboard engine. The oil filter has 1/16” vertical clearance due to the stringer. Getting the old one out is easy, starting the new one on by holding the lip around the edge of the filter with my fingernails is the hard part of the oil change.

The impeller is almost impossible on my boat. The mechanic that worked on it for 15years for the PO said they usually pulled the pump out. That is really difficult. I bought a Jabsco impeller puller to get the old impeller out. Of course the T handle will not turn due to a pipe on the engine. Trip to Fastenal and buy some metric, of course, all thread. Cut a piece and put double nuts on it so I could turn the old impeller out with the puller. Works great. Now to get the new impeller in. You can’t really even see the pump on mine so you have to work by feel. I bought a tool from impellertool.com. Wonderful! It is an aluminum sleve with a funnel machined in one end to screw the new impeller into the tool. It then simply slides into the pump. I brace the new impeller in place with a custom cut piece of dowel that wedges in place and you pull on the impeller tool and it slides out leaving the new impeller in place. Then I installed a Speedseal cover on the pump so I don’t need a gasket anymore. Unfortunately Speedseal had a family health issue so they closed up shop this year.

Anyway good luck with your new baby.

Thanks guys! Yeah the kids love it...well the 4 year old does, the 6 month old just wants to know when he gets to eat again.

Actually the boat is a 47, not 46. My mistake.

The list of things to do is to get the windless working, fix the cooling issue with the genny and install some electronics...mainly radar. Oh and come up with a name! Right now she is Emmy B. We want to change it, still working on that one.

Sounds familiar. We replaced all of the old electronics and radar with Garmin soon after purchase. It’s been great to have an integrated system instead of five separate systems onboard.

Naming is hard. So hard my wife wrote a post about it: https://mvfortitude.com/2018/09/26/whats-in-a-name/

Good luck and lots of pics please!

I love her! I have a 1986 36’ marine trader sundeck. Yes they are solid boats and handle great! Good luck with her!!!

Congrats on the new boat! Looking forward to hearing of your adventures with her.

I love the way some kids acclimate to the boat. My 18 year-old daughter could read on her phone while underway in the ocean, while other family members were turning green. Yours look like real sailors! Congrats.

I love the way some kids acclimate to the boat. My 18 year-old daughter could read on her phone while underway in the ocean, while other family members were turning green. Yours look like real sailors! Congrats.

We are very lucky. Last year our daughter had just turned 3 and we were so afraid that she would get sea sick on our Mainship. Not only did she not get sick at all, she slept really well in her bunk. She absolutely loved it.

She’s so excited about her new boat now! I think we are going to have a pretty awesome time on it. We can’t wait to go back. Hoping to get down to the boat once or twice a month if we can.

Next trip, If I can get the generator cooling issue solved, we will be spending our first night on the hook.

Seeet looking boat! Love that color.

Back
Top Bottom