Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #41
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Blatchford View Post
Why move from beautiful cruising waters to the Columbia? We have been very happy having our GB42 in the Pudget Sound for the past 28 years. WE live in Bend Oregon but spend 2-3 months on the boat every summer between Seattle and Alaska. Still exploring the area.

Bill we just don't have that kind of concentrated time to be able to use the boat for weeks/months at a time. In addition, I am going to be using the boat in my real estate business. A large portion of my business I have in floating homes and waterfront here in Portland. What better way to showcase homes for sale and those communities around Portland than by water!
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
Re home porting in WA. Just be aware, as an out of state resident, 45 days after purchase you are liable for 9% sales/use tax.
My understanding and I’ve done this twice is it is 90 days, extendable by written application to 180 days
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:17 PM   #43
Guru

Called the department of revenue today, it's 60 and by day 61 application needs to be made. I have the form and will be ready in the event it's that long. I am hopeful watching the weather a real nice window will open.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #44

City: Bend, Oregon
Vessel Name: Morningsong
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 42
That sounds like a great way to use your boat. make sure the boat dosen't look too nice they buy a boat instead of the floating home. Do you sell boats as well?
Bill Blatchford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Blatchford View Post
That sounds like a great way to use your boat. make sure the boat dosen't look too nice they buy a boat instead of the floating home. Do you sell boats as well?
I know a great broker but the interesting thing is I am contemplating selling boats too. Between my experience, back ground and net work here it would make sense.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #46
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Bill we just don't have that kind of concentrated time to be able to use the boat for weeks/months at a time. In addition, I am going to be using the boat in my real estate business. A large portion of my business I have in floating homes and waterfront here in Portland. What better way to showcase homes for sale and those communities around Portland than by water!
Make sure you have the proper endorsements/coverages for your proposed operations of showcasing homes- this falls outside the private pleasure tenets of a marine policy, and is definitely a commercial usage.

Without the endorsements, any claim that occurs while under this usage nullifies the policy.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:17 AM   #47
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Called the department of revenue today, it's 60 and by day 61 application needs to be made. I have the form and will be ready in the event it's that long. I am hopeful watching the weather a real nice window will open.
It is 60 days, extendable twice at 60 days each, application must be made in person (not online or by mail). After that you must leave the state for 180 days. Or simply take it over the Sidney, then you have 364 days.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #48

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
The boat has to leave within 45 days after purchase. Once you reenter you have 60 days total per year which can be extended.

-------------------------from WA DOR website--------
Vessel sales to nonresidents
Nonresidents of Washington may purchase vessels and take delivery in Washington without paying sales tax or use tax when the vessel is U.S. Coast Guard documented or pre-registered by the state or country where the vessel will be principally used after the sale and the vessel will be removed from Washington within 45 days of delivery.
---------------------------------------------------------

Don't take someone's word for it. Read the WA DOR rules. Too much money at stake.....
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #49
Guru

I am not taking delivery of the boat in Washington state. I am taking it in BC. It’s just like a ore registered boat coming into the state.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #50

City: Camano Island
Vessel Name: San Carlos
Vessel Model: Campbell Yachts Research Vessel
BC to Portland

I just made that trip a couple weeks ago...I (unfortunately) have quite a bit of experience making that passage both ways this time of year. Best advice is to keep your eyes on the forecasts, be prepared to boogy...as soon as the low has passed, it will usually take a few days to build back up. Once you round Cape Disappointment, you are all good, but you REALLY have to time your bar crossing to the slacks or risk the bar being closed even on a "good" day. Not too many places to hole-up on the way...Grays Harbor and Wilapa Bay are it...
...feel free to pm me for more info, I have a dock on the Columbia at Cathlamet.
Good Luck.
captjamied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #51

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Pacific Time
Vessel Model: Tollycraft/48
I ran down and up a while back. On the way down we did a couple 24 hr runs. Bringing the 48 up we ran harbor to harbor during the day only. 10kts 95% of the trip up.
Good luck on the way south.

Dan
Pacific Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #52
Guru

Great information being shared. Still no plan right now on when I am leaving, just watching the weather.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #53
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Here are a few NOAA sites that can help you too:

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/pqr/marine/BarObs.php

https://www.weather.gov/pqr/barcams

Columbia Bar at 0726: 30ft at 16 sec!!!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #54
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
I am not taking delivery of the boat in Washington state. I am taking it in BC. It’s just like a ore registered boat coming into the state.
Whether you take possession in WA or BC the time limitations in WA remain the same.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Those are frightful current conditions especially LaPush
Old 01-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #56
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captjamied View Post
I just made that trip a couple weeks ago...I (unfortunately) have quite a bit of experience making that passage both ways this time of year. Best advice is to keep your eyes on the forecasts, be prepared to boogy...as soon as the low has passed, it will usually take a few days to build back up. Once you round Cape Disappointment, you are all good, but you REALLY have to time your bar crossing to the slacks or risk the bar being closed even on a "good" day. Not too many places to hole-up on the way...Grays Harbor and Wilapa Bay are it...
...feel free to pm me for more info, I have a dock on the Columbia at Cathlamet.
Good Luck.
What is your recent experience on Willapa like? I was there many years ago for 2 weeks of work in late spring and the entrance channel was no where near the charted channel. 2 weeks later on departure it had moved yet again requiring a dog leg south to find deep enough water to exit. Being an undredged channel fed by an uncontrolled river the channels and sand bars shifted with each heavy rain or wind event. Perhaps things have changed since I worked there. But based on that experience I consider it a very dangerous bar.

I note in the link ASD provides for bar reports that Willapa is not listed.
Portage_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Whether you take possession in WA or BC the time limitations in WA remain the same.
Honestly I find it to be a bit confusing but there appears to be a definite difference between residents and non-residents and the locations of purchase. As well as the time allowed to remain in the state. I believe they treat purchases in Washington but non-residences 45 days to remove. Boats entering from previous purchase are treated differently. This is to avoid people living in Washington evading taxes.

https://dor.wa.gov/doing-business/bu...nt-individuals

and

https://dor.wa.gov/get-form-or-publi...s-nonresidents

Purchases of vessels in Washington by nonresidents – Sales tax chapter 82.08 RCW
Use of vessels in Washington by nonresidents – Use tax chapter 82.12 RCW

What is clear to me through reading is that Washington treats purchases in state and use differently. I believe this is because they don't want to discourage people from visiting and simulating the economy through their travel dollars. When in doubt call the Department of Revenue. I did and confirmed with them what form would need to be filled out and where it would need to be delivered in person. (No mailing allowed). The vessel was purchased out of the state of Washington, thus it is a visiting vessel which is treated under 82.12 RCW. 60 days out or deliver the permit form.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #58
Guru

bshillam
You are correct in your assessment of where the boat was purchased, technically. Is the vessel Documented? If you are able to obtain OR registration and place it on boat while it sits in WA that would be good but not necessarily a guarantee.

But an undocumented and unregistered vessel sitting at a WA marina could be a red flag. The WA state dock walkers are not friendly towards what they view as scofflaws. They likely don't care about the weather. So your best hope is your vessel goes unnoticed for a month or two while sitting in WA.

If they notice you, you will likely be OK provided you have some sort of official window posting. But the paperwork and hassle may prove a challenge.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #59
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
bshillam
It looks like you could just leave the boat in Sidney for up to 12 months, see https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v.../menu-eng.html. I know you would like it closer to home but it might be a good alternative while you wait for a weather window to move it home in the spring.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #60
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
bshillam
It looks like you could just leave the boat in Sidney for up to 12 months, see https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v.../menu-eng.html. I know you would like it closer to home but it might be a good alternative while you wait for a weather window to move it home in the spring.
Now hold the phone, I'll be looking into this in more detail. Might be kind of fun to leave it there and enjoy a few times. Victoria could be fun to visit a few times waiting for the weather to change.