Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Lake Oswego
Vessel Name: M/V Stout
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
McNary Dam

Thanks Mike, we are going to transit that dam on the way up for the hydroplane races in July. Looking forward to the trip!

Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Our local locks on TN River are presently closed for maintenance. Glad we have auxiliary lock.
They close all 8 of the dams on the Snake and Columbia at the same time for maintenance. They'll be down a total of about 5 weeks by the time they reopen them.

Quote:
Nice job Mike. You are a man of many talents. I even heard this in AZ!
I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing!

Quote:
Every time I see a dam, I think if only that dam didn't exist, the oceans would be overflowing with fish!
Yup, this is possible and it's nice to speculate about things like that. And the flip side of that is if the dams didn't exist there wouldn't be the millions of acres of arid land that is now irrigated for growing crops, and there would be millions more semi trucks on the road because the loads that the barges now carry would have to be trucked. And those are facts, not random speculation.

Quote:
When are you heading to the Panama Canal for a TF Eyewitness Report on the progress of construction of the new canal system?
Stay tuned!

Quote:
I have heard that the ladders do not work particularly well and only a fraction of the salmon running upstream to spawn are able to figure out the ladder system. Do you have any insight on this subject?
Actually, the numbers of salmon that can successfully navigate the fish ladders is quite high. They installed screens on each of the spillways that guide the salmon toward the fish ladders. Since the salmon intuitively swim upstream against the current, it's just simple nature for then to swim up the ladders.

I've been through three different dams when the salmon were running and it's amazing to see them swim up the ladders. We were at Bonneville Dam in 2010 during one of the runs and the ladders were packed with fish.

Here's a photo I took at the fish viewing window during that run.

Quote:
Thanks Mike, we are going to transit that dam on the way up for the hydroplane races in July. Looking forward to the trip!
There's a group from Portland coming up for the races. Are you part of that group? I'm trying to arrange some free moorage for them. Last I heard there was five boats coming.

Either way, PM me as you come up river. Maybe we can get together and share some liquid hops somewhere up here.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Lake Oswego
Vessel Name: M/V Stout
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Mike, I am coming up with a group from Tyee YC. I will try to contact you once we are up there.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #24
GFC
Guru

Kevin, I've already been in touch with Randy. They're friends we met a few years ago through some mutual friends.

We're looking forward to the weekend! If you have any questions about any part of it just PM me.

Mike
Old 03-27-2015, 01:22 AM   #25
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
The Seattle locks are going through their annual maintenance right now also. There you are free to walk around and watch the work. The small lock has been empty for about 2 weeks. I think they are just about finished and will be put it back into service this weekend.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
GFC
Guru

THD, any chance you could get some pics? I'd like to compare them to see what the bottom of the lock looks like.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi Mike and Tina,

Very interesting and educational for all. I might be wrong but I don`t think we have any locks in Oz.

Regards.

David.

Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote