Old 03-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
A very simple security device

I will preface this by saying that a determined thief who really wants to get into your boat will do so no matter what you do.* But the problems I've been aware of in our marina with break-ins have all be of a casual nature--- a cabin door or window was left unlocked or a lock was easily defeated.

Earlier generations wood and glass Grand Banks have a gap between the main cabin door and the door frame.* The latch and the deadbolt are visible in this gap.* On top of that, the deadbolt mechanism on the earlier GBs like ours has a weak detent system--- it's pretty easy to simply push the deadbolt back if you can get to it.* Even though we have long since replaced the original corrosion-prone plated door latch/lock mechanisms on both the main cabin and aft cabin doors with identical units made of 316 stainless, the inner workings of the deadbolt are unfortunately also identical.

Remembering back to my childhood in Hawaii where one of the houses we lived in had similar setup on the back door that I could open with a pocket knife blade, I decided to try to defeat the potential for this on our boat.

The solution was very simple as illustrated in the photo.* A friend cut out the piece of stainless for me and it is through-bolted to the door as well as glued to the door with 3M 5200.

The reason it does not overlap the door frame very much is that when the door is opened it misses the handrail by only a half inch or so.* So the plate cannot stick out any further or it will hit the rail.* But at least it covers the gap.* On boats with more clearance past the rail, or no clearance issue at all, the plate could overlap more.

Yes, a determined thief could pry the plate back and perhaps break the wood enough to get at the latch and deadbolt with a knife blade or credit card.* But I'm hoping that by making it a bit harder to get the door open, he'll just move on to the next boat.

And for people like Walt, yes, the door frame is on the list to be taken back to bare wood, CPES'd and then Bristoled this summer :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	10475  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: A very simple security device

Quote:
Marin wrote:
And for people like Walt, yes, the door frame is on the list to be taken back to bare wood, CPES'd and then Bristoled this summer :-)
*Love the disclaimer.

First thought when I looked at the picture befor reading the post.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

You can buy the same thing at a hardware store or locksmith shop. It's a common solution to a common problem.

Or change the lock to one with the extra pin that prevents opening the lock with a credit card or similar item.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

We didn't want to change the lock as it would require a lot of surgery to the door and frame. And the ready-made plates that we looked at initially were all too big for our application. So they would have had to be cut down in length and width anyway. And it didn't seem like they were made of stainless but were plated or painted metal. But the ready-made plates might work well for some applications.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

You could solve the whole issue by leaving a rabid pit bull on board.......
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
JAT wrote:
*JAT,* I believe what Marin is saying is that he's trying to improve security when he is NOT on the boat.*
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:JAT wrote:
*JAT,* I believe what Marin is saying is that he's trying to improve security when he is NOT on the boat.*

*OTDE is closed.
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

No wonder I had so few emails today.

Curiouser and curiouser
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:JAT wrote:
Quote:
Leave a really big bowl of dog food, and a lot of water......might even help to put down a doggy pad.....*
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
JAT wrote:Leave a really big bowl of dog food, and a lot of water......might even help to put down a doggy pad.....*

Hmm. Sounds inviting. It might be quite attractive as a crash pad to some two legged types that hang around waterfronts.
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Marin,

Could you post the brand name of the lockset pictured in your photo?

Thanks,

Mike
Palm Coast FL
pull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #12
FF
Guru

A thief WILL get in , so the question is what would you prefer to replace .

We use a brass padlock that would be no problem with a crowbar , so the replacement is easy.

On a long absence we set the mechanical trip wire setup , so once inside there is 12 oz of mace spraying inside the pilot house .

Sure a PIA to clean up , but it does stop the intrusion.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Looks like something that is asking for someone to do some greater damage.* I make it easy for them to break in like leaving the doors unlocked as they usually cause more damage than what the stuff is worth? *We presently have an old TV sitting on the back deck as is to big and heavy for me to carry. *Please come in and take our old HEAVY worthless stuff off the boat!

17 years we live in the dirt house and now 14 years on the boat with out locking it.* the trick is to make the boat look like somebody is on the boat our going to be coming back soon by leaving lights/TV music on.* If you are really concern then install an alarm system like the Boat nany that will protect your boat.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #14

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
FF wrote:
A thief WILL get in , so the question is what would you prefer to replace .
*That's what the Sherriff said when our home was broken into and the theif had defeated a cheap deadbolt.* When I suggested that*perhaps I should replace it with a stronger one the Sherriff said if I did I would probably be replacing the window instead next time.*
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #15
FF
Guru

" We presently have an old TV sitting on the back deck as is to big and heavy for me to carry. Please come in and take our old HEAVY worthless stuff off the boat!"

Phil has the NYC answer , "Shoe Sh*t" , set up the deck so it looks like there would be nothing of value to steal.

In our cottage in CT we are delighted to purchase Sony Trinitron TV's at yard sales for $5 $10 bucks .

These weigh a ton , but give fantastic pictures , and can be seen thru the window , during out 6 month absences.

Nobody will break in for a $5.00 TV
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I always feel guilty about locking it when we come home for the week. I certainly want to protect my stuff, but what if the high water alarm goes off while we're away? I'd hate for someone that could help be denied the ability to do so.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #17
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

Ever think about buying a couple of security cameras and place a sign up, "Look up and Smile you are being watched remotely". Place them on your mast.

I have the whole system but a couple of cameras works just as good if you don't want to purchase a DVR.

Elwin*
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

If you don't at least make an attempt to guard your "stuff", be it a boat a car, or your home, you really can't complain when it's taken.

Well, I take that back, you can complain but it won't do any good. There are thieves in every country, every city, everywhere. People who think it's perfectly OK to take what others have worked for instead of working for it themselves. And at least in most parts of the USA, the authorities don't have the guts and willpower to lock them up and keep them locked up.

If my cabin door was like Marin's I would have done the same thing.

As far as security cameras, cameras don't prevent theft, they just provide you with a record of folks hauling off your stuff. Good locks are cheaper and more effective. Insurance is the backup plan.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38

Quote:
rwidman wrote:
As far as security cameras, cameras don't prevent theft, they just provide you with a record of folks hauling off your stuff. Good locks are cheaper and more effective. Insurance is the backup plan.
*At least you can see if they are happy with your stuff*:angered:

Elwin*
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #20
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Ocean Breeze NL wrote:rwidman wrote:
*At least you can see if they are happy with your stuff*:angered:

Elwin*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote