Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: A very simple security device

Quote:
Ocean Breeze NL wrote:rwidman wrote:
As far as security cameras, cameras don't prevent theft, they just provide you with a record of folks hauling off your stuff. Good locks are cheaper and more effective. Insurance is the backup plan.
*At least you can see if they are happy with your stuff*:angered:

Elwin*

Most of the time, this stuff is sold at ten cents on the dollar for drug money.* That makes them happy for a while.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Mike wrote:
Marin,

Could you post the brand name of the lockset pictured in your photo?

I could if I could remember it. We came across it by chance in a marine exchange store in Bellingham.* They had a whole wall of stuff (new) from this company, all 316 stainless hardware made in-- where else, China--- and I realized that two of their locksets were identical to the corroded, plated sets we had on the main cabin and aft cabin doors.* So we bought them and they were drop-in replacements.*

The problem is that they duplicate exactly the lock mechanism.* So the weak detent system in the new stainless lockset is identical to the weak detent system on the original lockset.* Hence my plate over the gap.

But they've been on the boat for some ten or eleven years now out in the weather and they look today the way they looked when we bought them.

If I am in that store again and remember to look and they still carry the stuff I'll get the name.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

We were broken into last winter, they pried open a window and climbed in.* Our commercial style burglar alarm must have scared the crap out of them since they ran out the aft door and left it open without having time to take anything.* Without the alarm, I have no doubt there would have been little left when we returned to the boat.* I have since added another layer of security by hooking up a motion detector light that turns on spotlights and also triggers a relay connected to a loud sounder and strobe light.* When were at the boat, I disconnect the strobe and sounder so we have automatic lights when we come in at night.* Finally, I added a third siren on the flybridge that sounds outside to alert everyone within hearing range (it's loud)* So far, the system has not been tested again, but if the crack heads return they will have to be very brave to ignore all the noise and lights. I"m guessing they will move to an easier target.* I've still got insurance though (and photograph everything every couple of years).........Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
How to make your own Boat (or Home) SECURITY SYSTEM

1. Go to your favorite outdoor store and buy a pair of size 14-16 men's work boots.

2. Place them in your front cockpit , along with copies of Guns & Ammo Magazine.

3. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on the door that reads:

Bubba,

I went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls. They got the dock boy this morning and messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em up in the boat . Better wait outside. Be right back.

Cooter
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
How to make your own Boat (or Home) SECURITY SYSTEM

1. Go to your favorite outdoor store and buy a pair of size 14-16 men's work boots.

2. Place them in your front cockpit , along with copies of Guns & Ammo Magazine.

3. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines.

4. Leave a note on the door that reads:

Bubba,

I went for more ammo and beer. Be back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls. They got the dock boy this morning and messed him up bad. I don't think Killer took part, but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em up in the boat . Better wait outside. Be right back.

Cooter

The fatal flaw in this approach is assuming the mopes who're coming for your stuff can read.
ARoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Good point Mr. ARoss but don't sell the Mainers short. After all, the toothbrush was invented in Maine. Anywhere else and it would have been called the teeth brush.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Good point Mr. ARoss but don't sell the Mainers short. After all, the toothbrush was invented in Maine. Anywhere else and it would have been called the teeth brush.
LOL. Many Mainers (Mainiacs?) don't even have one tooth. Gumbrush?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
Per
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
oh lord, i loll'ed....

to be serious.. i do lock up but really if a thief is determined then they can break their way in, which would be more costly than anything inside worthwhile stealing but if i dont lock then insurance is not valid, right..?
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
[QUOTE=Per;85282]oh lord, i loll'ed....

to be serious.. i do lock up but really if a thief is determined then they can break their way in, which would be more costly than anything inside worthwhile stealing but if i dont lock then insurance is not valid, right..?[/QUOTE]

I think you are still covered. The question that I would ask...if the insurance company gets wind that you NEVER lock...they could drop you which opens all kinds of worms.

Someone pointed out that insurance covers loss..and a police report would cover that easily....insurance companies have to cover you despite being stupid/careless...unless the action is specifically cited in the policy. However they are pretty touchy these days about paying losses and I would be nervous about being dropped if I had to admit that I NEVER made any attemt to keep people out of my boat.

That's why I use a cheap brass padlock that is easily defeated. Keeps pedestrians out...lets the "criminals" in without a lot of damage and satisfys the "appearance" of trying to keep my stuff safe to any insurance co.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #30
FF
Guru

One of the simplest solutions is a stencil and stencil brush , and mark everything.

A lock will keep no one out that wishes to get in , but the stencil will reduce the value to the thief.

BE SURE to imediatly stencil any insurance replacement gear , after all the thief knows new stuff is worth more than last months electric toys.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote