Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Very sad.

It will be interesting to hear what really happened. If we ever do.

Swimming pigs found dead in Exuma | The Tribune
Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B:

That's so very sad to read. Many of us swam among them last time we were there. Beautiful animals. Smart, sweet.

They don't know if something they accidentally ate or if poisoned intentionally at this point.

There's also unsubstantiated rumors that other animals have mysteriously died on land in the same area, particularly some dogs. Whether that's related or not, I have no idea.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 11. Indeed it WILL be interesting to discover the cause. Thanks for the link. We quite enjoyed our visit with the "swimmers".
Old 02-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Guru

They're a highlight of a trip for many. I know one lady who insists every time they go to the Bahamas that they go to see the pigs.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B:

... Many of us swam among them last time we were....
You're a braver person than I am. Hopefully you didn't have anything they wanted to eat. A few years ago we drifted into shallow water and we thought this guy was coming aboard.
Attached Thumbnails
98.jpg  
Old 02-21-2017, 07:31 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Give the pig a slice of bread (or whatever) and further reinforce such behavior. If too aggressive, give him a swat with an oar.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
Guru

Wifey B: Well, technically guess we waded more than swam, but they swam.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sydney
next months Spam
Old 02-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Truly sad. They were the highlight to many Exumas trip. In my early years before the Exhumas were built up they weren't there but we enjoyed anchoring at Big Majors. Some years later they appeared (many stories as to how they arrived). Staniel Cay was in its infancy back then and my day would fly with Hocker at times. Memories!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
The latest information from autopsies shows that the deaths were caused by sand impaction, the result of the pigs not having access to fresh water. In Abaco, the island with pigs has a fresh water source provided by donations. That doesn't exist in the Exumas.

Either way, it's sad. But it doesn't appear like anyone used poison to kill the pigs.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Guru

Thanks for the info Jeff. Give the pups a kiss.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Yeah, there's swimming pigs in the Abacos now too, on No Name Cay. Kinda cool the first time or two you see them.

Personally, I think an enterprising Bahamian came up with a great idea to get his pigs fattened for free. The biggest, most aggressive pig at No Name last time we were there had a big blue spot spray painted on its forehead. I bet you he was BBQ ribs and bacon within a week or so.

Sad if someone killed some of them.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
The latest information from autopsies shows that the deaths were caused by sand impaction, the result of the pigs not having access to fresh water. In Abaco, the island with pigs has a fresh water source provided by donations. That doesn't exist in the Exumas.

Either way, it's sad. But it doesn't appear like anyone used poison to kill the pigs.
That's nice to hear. Thanks for posting it. So, clearly now providing them fresh water is the issue if we want them to remain there. Actually poison would have been a one time thing and now we know they're all in jeopardy. I'm still glad to hear no one was so cruel to have poisoned them though.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Actually poison would have been a one time thing and now we know they're all in jeopardy. I'm still glad to hear no one was so cruel to have poisoned them though.
There has been some rain now and people have been bringing water to the island. This is the dry season there and there needs to be a way to automatically pull water from a well, if not RO process it for the pigs.

If I can make one point about this subject though...

If you were horrified with the idea that someone might have poisoned the pigs but then had bacon for breakfast...you're a hypocrite. Even if poisoned, those pigs in the Exumas lived a much better life than the one who screamed in fear before she was slaughtered for you.

More steak for you, right BandB?
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:

Wifey B: And pork chops. I'm sure I do a million things you would disapprove of, but then I never claimed to have all the answers. I do understand I'm eating animals, animals raised to be food. I wear leather too. I eat ice cream too. And eggs and chicken and fish. Oh, and I eat plants which were once alive. I see a huge difference between the pigs swimming there and someone poisoning them for no reason and growing animals for food. But see, there's one huge difference between you and my hubby and me. I don't call people names because they have different opinions from me. I don't claim to know all the answers. I don't think I'm always right and anyone who disagrees is stupid.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:37 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
But see, there's one huge difference between you and my hubby and me. I don't call people names because they have different opinions from me. I don't claim to know all the answers. I don't think I'm always right and anyone who disagrees is stupid.
Where did that come from?

I didn't call anyone a name.

I don't think people who disagree with me are stupid. I didn't say that either.

If your actions demonstrate hypocracy, you're a hypocrite. It's not name calling. It's definition. To then flaunt it (pork chops) is arrogant.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
OK kids, settle down. I had a client at one time who needed a heart valve replaced. Came through the operation just fine. He mentioned that he had the choice of either a SS valve or a pig's valve. He understood the SS valve was noisy and that recipients could hear the tic, tic, tic of it working so he opted for the pig valve. My question to him was "When you eat bacon, do you consider yourself a cannibal?" His answer? No.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #18
Guru

RT. My dad had a choice of a heart valve replacement between bovine and pig. He chose pig because he liked eating steak more. He felt he would have a problem eating steak in the future. LOL
Old 02-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:

If you were horrified with the idea that someone might have poisoned the pigs but then had bacon for breakfast...you're a hypocrite.
Oh baloney!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #20
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
If you were horrified with the idea that someone might have poisoned the pigs but then had bacon for breakfast...you're a hypocrite. Even if poisoned, those pigs in the Exumas lived a much better life than the one who screamed in fear before she was slaughtered for you.

Even worse are the people who are against kidnapping, but keep pets in their house against their will when they want to go outside.
Closed Thread