Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have also been dealing with vertigo related symptoms on and off for the past 6 years. I went through some fairly extensive testing, but nothing conclusive showed up. The inner ear "rock adjustment" is not applicable to all cases, so do your due diligence. I can be fine for long periods of time, and then it hits me and lasts a few months. I have also found its not related to being on the boat. Its a getting older thing, and I have learned to live with it at this point.

Before I had my fall and landed on my head on the concrete curing the vertigo, I was managing it with simple training. Just as your eyes do when they put together several inputs to make a clear picture based on experience. Sight is not as clear as it seems, especially in regard to 3D. Its all a brain trick that you learn as you grow up.

I also have tinnitus in my ears and my brain has learned to ignore it. I dont notice it unless the subject comes up....like right now....otherwise my brain filters it out as "Fake News". So I decided that I could do that with vertigo.

Vertigo is a false signal that you are listing to one side or the other when you actually are not. So whenever I started to feel that sensation I would say to myself, "Fake News, Fake News" and sure enough my brain began to respond by ignoring THAT input and relying instead on my visual input and my muscle tension. It wasnt fast, took a while, but it worked very well. Its just a matter of recognizing the fake signal and then adapting other senses to it.

I also was diagnosed with Trigeminal neuralgia which is a very painful condition that affects the side of your face. Its another "Fake News" situation. The side of your face feels like it is on fire. I tried the same tecnique, telling myself that my face was NOT on fire and again after some retraining it worked. Only downside to that one is that if the side of my face ever does catch on fire I will not know it till the smoke gets in my eyes.

Anything that lasts longer than a day or 2 post boating trip probably needs medical advice.
Years ago,driving in car rallies late into the night in mountainous forestry areas,sometimes I got the sensation the "road" was downhill when it wasn`t. It meant initially I backed off the power so was a problem.I came to recognize and ignore it, but never understood it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom