Old 03-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Ventusky/predict wind/ Windy

I have been using Predict Wind for a few years. I have also been using Windy. My neighbor just recommended Ventusky. While the $2.99 price is no big deal it sure is more than free for Windy or Predict Wind. I would like some one elseís opinion before I add another unnecessary app to my iPad.

tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
I have Ventusky. Seems as accurate.......or not as the rest and is very reliable. (Never down) Uses several different weather models. You can choose the model you want to look at or combine. Has a nice real-time radar function. Clean and well thought out software.

Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:17 AM   #3
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Most of those apps just use the same modeling as each other... so one really isn't "better" than another..just prettier other a few more features.

There are a few NOAA programs Desi go need for specific areas like the Chesapeake and NY bight areas that are different, but not sure what other area.

If using an app for a specific I temp such as wind, find out what the source of data is before paying for something that is usually free.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:55 AM   #4
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most of those apps just use the same modeling as each other... so one really isn't "better" than another..just prettier other a few more features.

There are a few NOAA programs Desi go need for specific areas like the Chesapeake and NY bight areas that are different, but not sure what other area.

If using an app for a specific I temp such as wind, find out what the source of data is before paying for something that is usually free.
Agreed. I thought the Ventusky software had a better feel to it on my iPad. That was worth the price of admission. Do I rely on my / itís interpretation? Nope. I have a good look / compare to what .gov says in the forecast discussion.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product...&highlight=off
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Windy gives me wind, waves and swells all for free.

Predict Wind gives me only wind for free. Monthly subscription for waves & swells

Ventusky gives nothing for free. I don’t know if there is a subscription.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Full Circle
Vessel Model: CHB 34
I find the Windy forecast is similar to the 8 km Predict Wind forecast. I use the Predict Wind 1 km forecast in the San Juan Islands which is many times different from the 8 km forecast. None of the wave forecasts seem to be granular enough for my use among the islands. I also like the split screen which allows me to look at 2 different models.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Guru

City: xxxx
Vessel Name: xxxx
Vessel Model: xxxx
I've only played with Windy.

We use Predict Wind regularly to augment the Gov. forecasts.

When we went to Barkley Sound last year we bought the P.W. short term upgrade package for about $12. It was 2 or 3 months. Well worth it.

Ive poked at others but because I've poked more at P.W. I am comfortable with it.

They all use the same BASE information I believe. It's each services interpretation and presentation that make the difference.

One thing we learned is to check more than one source. If the predictions are similar for winds and swells then likely it is a decent prediction.

Look out though and be cautious if there is a good size discrepancy as someone got something wrong.

I'll add that in some areas it doesn't matter who you use the weather may have other ideas. Local winds and conditions can turn those predictions into a dream/nightmare where inlets, tidal currents and large projecting land masses can strongly affect local conditions.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #8

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Have used Windy for a couple of years it seems.

Started playing with Predict Wind earlier this year.

Never used Ventusky - but will probably try it.

My thought is they all use the same source - just different UI. That said, User Interface can make a huge difference.

FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote