Old 07-10-2016, 06:59 AM   #1

Venting bathroom?

Most of the boats we've looked at might have just a porthole to open for venting rather than an overhead hatch in the bathroom. Is there a way to vent the moisture when showering?
Maybe some way to add an exhaust fan?

folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. f. What is your reasoning for a fan as opposed to an open port? As far as adding "forced" ventilation, could you make a porthole insert that contained a couple of computer type 12V fans (low current draw) to be used whilst showering?

Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Searenity
Vessel Model: Meridian 459
We have portholes and exhaust fans in both our heads and showers. The fans are the same size as the larger computer fans but a higher capacity. I have to say they are a bit noisy but reasonably effective,

Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #4

City: Chesapeake Bay to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Since the shower space in most trawlers is significantly smaller volume than in a house, an open port seems to do the trick. Some boats do have a hatch, and you could add one if needed. We have lived aboard year round in weather as cold as 0 degrees. We never shower ashore. We do not have a vent. That being said, with two people, a dog and a propane stove and oven, we do run a dehumidifier once the outside temp gets down to the mid 40s.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #5
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I installed a Nicro solar vent set to exhaust in my head. It isn't high volume, but the fact that it runs continuously does the job.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. f. What is your reasoning for a fan as opposed to an open port? As far as adding "forced" ventilation, could you make a porthole insert that contained a couple of computer type 12V fans (low current draw) to be used whilst showering?
I have found that passive venting isn't quite as effective as some type of forced ventilation. I would be concerned that the moisture would quickly kill the computer fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
We have portholes and exhaust fans in both our heads and showers. The fans are the same size as the larger computer fans but a higher capacity. I have to say they are a bit noisy but reasonably effective,
Our North Pacific now has a powered vent. It is effective but noisy as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
Since the shower space in most trawlers is significantly smaller volume than in a house, an open port seems to do the trick. Some boats do have a hatch, and you could add one if needed. We have lived aboard year round in weather as cold as 0 degrees. We never shower ashore. We do not have a vent. That being said, with two people, a dog and a propane stove and oven, we do run a dehumidifier once the outside temp gets down to the mid 40s.
We have never lived aboard a boat, but for the last 10 years we have used a dehumidifier on board that runs continuously when we aren't on board. That has kept our sailboats bone dry inside. We will move the dehumidifier to Kinship once Legacy sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I installed a Nicro solar vent set to exhaust in my head. It isn't high volume, but the fact that it runs continuously does the job.
My sailboat had the older version without the battery in the shower stall. It worked really well. My intention was to replace it with the newer solar vents with a battery so it would run longer (we have cloudy, short days for much of the year). I think these are a great solution if you have a hatch or deck above your shower. Won't work if the head and shower are buried underneath a PH or FB as in our current boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Previous Carver we owned had a head vent fan and it was a nice add. Wish we had one on our Mainship. Have considered options but haven't done anything yet.
If you have acess an inline bilge blower might work well...just need a flanged vent to accept flex duct in head and another for hull exterior. Our exterior was a simple flat slotted grill...never had a need to access fan so not sure what they used.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Revel's shower is entirely, and the entire head is about half, under the helm-side 'dashboard'. Our LeComte sailboat had an operable port and a Dorade box which could only be closed by screwing in a cover in place of the scoop.

Pretty low on a priority, it would be nice to have at least a passive vent on rainy days.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I don't have a vent in the head, but I can utilize a fan in the stateroom across the companionway from the head to facilitate venting. I swing the stateroom door fully open and secured on the companionway wall. My head door actually swings opposite of the pic below so I open the head door across the companionway and secure it at the aft edge of the stateroom door opening. I open ports in the stateroom and the head and turn on the fan located high on the wall of the stateroom locker. The cross flow ventilation from port to stbd vents the moisture (and odors) quite well out of my head.

Incidentally, I also have a privacy curtain I can hang across the steps leading fwd from the salon.

I hope chc chimes in here. He has a powered vent mounted in his 34 LRC that might help here. Unfortunately, I did not get pics of it while aboard.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:05 AM   #10
FF
Guru

"it would be nice to have at least a passive vent on rainy days."

A trimmed plastic jug wind scoop in the port will increase the air flow at no cost.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Entertainingly, FF, of the four operable ports on Revel, the head port is the one most likely to allow water in when raining and the port is open. I'd have thought that the opposite port on port would do the same...but not. The ports are in the path of rainwater shedding off of the forward-facing salon windows. I had thought about plastic eyebrows but the sidedecks are narrow and I'm large.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #12
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
.... I had thought about plastic eyebrows but the sidedecks are narrow and I'm large.
We do like the PortVisors pn our MS
Had same problem w rain w all 3 ports prior to the install.
They don't onterfere much w access and they are somewhat forgiving and flexible.
We do have fairly wide walkarounds and understand the concern if narrow
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #13
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Prior to our ICW trip in 2009/10, I installed a Nicro solar powered fan in the head overhead on our Californian 34. It has, amazingly enough, worked steadily ever since. I have replaced one set of batteries, I think about 3 years ago. It is quiet, & seems to move enough air to keep things fresh & dry. Even runs during the winter under shrink wrap. I'd buy another one in a minute, but the head in our boat is not really big enough to need 2 units.

chc is offline   Reply With Quote