Old 07-18-2016, 06:02 PM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Interesting information. I have typically not run the blower on my boat. My thought was that the engine's air intake is providing a lot more air exchange than the blower does anyway. However, maybe I am wrong on that. The other issue is getting rid of the heat after shut down, something I hadn't though of either.

I have some very long runs ahead of me over the next week (12hours or so). I suppose that with the heat buildup in the fuel tanks (that flank the ER) as well as the heat soaking of the ER from a very long run, every little bit of venting could help?
You have an opportunity for comparative testing, by running the boat with and without the blower operating. If you do, conditions of operation will need to be as similar as you can get them to provide fair comparison.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Intermatic spring wound timers Time range from minutes to hours.

Buy the commercial grade (FF). The Decorator grade (FD) is price point junk.

Ted
Those would work well. As long as I can find a place to mount them that would be acceptable to my wife. I could put them in the ER, but they wouldn't be super convenient at that location.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
Dave, I figured your boat probably had a Cummins and she is of about the same vintage as ours with QSB 5.9 230. I ran a well known boat yard and we were a Cummins servicing dealer. Engine room depression is more common than people realize. A diesel consumes a lot of air. If you are going to put a timer on the engine room fan, it probably needs to be set for hours, not minutes. Granted your ambient air and water are cooler than ours (83 degree water right now). To get our engine room below 100 degrees we often have to run the fan for 4-6 hours in the summer time. In the winter with 45 degree water we don't run it much at all.
True. Water temps hover around 50 degrees F and if air temps are in the 80's we consider it way too hot.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Does anyone have pictures of the fan/air pickup duct? Some fans I have seen pickup under the diesel engine, which seems out of place. (Heat Rises). And where is your discharge?
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Does anyone have pictures of the fan/air pickup duct? Some fans I have seen pickup under the diesel engine, which seems out of place. (Heat Rises). And where is your discharge?
Diesel boats usually remove air from the top of the space or right over the engine.

Under is a gas boat setup usually.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My setup:

The original install on mine was really bad. There were 4 blowers running through clothes drier vent hose. The hose wound all over the place and was partially crushed is a number of spots. Very minimal flow. I redid the 4" drier hose with 5" fiberglass exhaust pipe and sweep exhaust rubber 90s. It goes though the rear engine room bulkhead near the ceiling, along the ceiling of the lazarette, and out through the transom below the swim platform. There is a water block where the pipe turns up in the hollow transom, going most of the way to the cap rail. The blower mounts to the 5" pipe with a 4" to 5" flexible coupling which eliminates vibration. The purpose of the 5" pipe (over 4") is to eliminate frictional line loss. It is amazing how well it works! The one blower produces more flow than the previous 4. You can see ripples on the water out to 2' from the force of the air coming out of the blower. The blower is worth 10 to 15 degree temperature reduction in the engine room measured at the ceiling. So far, temperatures have stayed below 100 degrees with the ventilation on. Outside air tracks into the engine room through the hollow keel and rises in front of the engine.

Blower (yellow fan blades) going through stern engine room bulkhead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1210.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	54341

Blower pipe exiting transom on port side under swim platform. Engine exhausts is on the starboard. The water block goes above the rub rail before turning back down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1639.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	54342

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #27

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Run the blowers (4) anytime engines are operating and for an hour or so after shutdown. Two bring air in and two exhaust hot air . Notable difference when not run after shutdown. Keeps engine room cooler and exhaust any smells and heat.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #28

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Our two blowers are mounted high, at the aft end of the engine they are ducted out to the same plenum that the engine air draws in through.

tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote