Old 10-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Velvet Drive Trans rebuild

Lost starboard trans while waiting 35 min in current and wind for RR bridge to lift. From looks of trans fluid, water in the mix. Probably bad heat exchanger.
Very recently added new water pump to that engine - maybe the higher pressure ruptured a weak exchanger?? BW Velvet Drive. What say ye on avg cost of a rebuild?? Thanks

FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
I just had a Borg Warner Velvet Drive 72C-CR2 rebuilt. The rebuilder got about $2500. The mechanic qnothet $1700. Total bill about $4200. In my mechanic's defense, access to the unit is poor in my boat.

Rebuilt cost of $2500 was $1000 more than I expected, but mechanic told me it is fairly typical.

gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Prices are all over the place depending on what model you have. If it's just clutches and maybe bearings, you might get away with under $1k. A full rebuild or exchange of a CR2 model can be $3k.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Water is due to a bad trans. oil cooler, not heat exch. Cost depends upon the hours. if you need clutch pack, $750-1250 seems to avg. If just clean and seals, maybe less than $750. You remove and deliver transmission. Oil cooler, maybe $200. I would replace both. If high hours I would replace damper plate. $100.

I suspect most shops would want to do a rebuild. A cleaning requires disassembly of forward and reverse pumps so you need gasket and seal kit. Clutch discs aren't that much more in parts. Labor is probably the same either way.

Once disassembled, they may find pitted or corroded bearings and shafts. Price quickly doubles.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Many thanks - yep Iíve seen rebuilt Velvets for sale $750 - $1,500. And mine have very easy access so should be quick out/in.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Guru

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
I had one done by the local (auto) transmission shop, $750.00. Owner was a boater. I removed the unit, brought it to the shop and reinstalled it. Came with a one year guarantee.

Would do the same again.

Rob
Old 10-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Lost starboard trans while waiting 35 min in current and wind for RR bridge to lift. From looks of trans fluid, water in the mix. Probably bad heat exchanger.
Very recently added new water pump to that engine - maybe the higher pressure ruptured a weak exchanger?? BW Velvet Drive. What say ye on avg cost of a rebuild?? Thanks
The new water pump on the engine likely had no effect. Don't know the oil pressure a Velvet Drive runs at, but probably at least 10 times the pressure of your raw water pump. Probably just an eaten up transmission cooler. Without an anode, they only live but so long.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
The new water pump on the engine likely had no effect. Don't know the oil pressure a Velvet Drive runs at, but probably at least 10 times the pressure of your raw water pump. Probably just an eaten up transmission cooler. Without an anode, they only live but so long.

The pressure thing is a good point. The one time I've seen a cooler fail on a Velvet Drive it resulted in oil out the exhaust, not water in the trans.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Czech Mate
Vessel Model: President 41
Recently had mine rebuilt. Wasn't cheap but found two different shops that kind of specialize in BW rebuilds. One was out in Washington and the closer one to you would be down in Ft Lauderdale called Transmission Marine. If you don't find anyone locally I highly recommend these folks. Excellent work and service.
jsplichal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Many thanks - yep Iíve seen rebuilt Velvets for sale $750 - $1,500. And mine have very easy access so should be quick out/in.
Note: Tran is held to bell hsg w/ 6 bolts. I replaced 2 middle bolts with long setup studs to make reinstallation easier. Simpler to align shaft with damper spline when putting it back. It's a bit heavy and trying to get it centered can damage damper spline. (If you do it yourself)

Mark couplings with felt tip and scribe before you pull shaft back. Might save you some time during re-alignment.

SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote