Velvet-Drive fluid capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tator

Guru
Vessel Name
Oz
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
I changed the ATF in my gears a couple of years ago and ever since have been having some elevated numbers for particles on my annual oil analysis. While I can find the fluid capacity for the gears themselves in my manual, I been wondering what was the proper method for for calculating how much more ATF to add for the coolers and lines. Should I just fill up the lines and cooler when disconnected from a measured container and add that amount to the manual capacity?

I also saw posted somewhere that one can turn the cooler so that the lines come out the top which negates the need to measure the oil level immediately after turning off the engine (or is it taking it out of gear?). Any comments on this method?

Tator

All I ever did was keep the level about a quarter inch above the full line when cold in all the velvet drives I cared for. Never had a low fluid issue.

All I ever did was keep the level about a quarter inch above the full line when cold in all the velvet drives I cared for. Never had a low fluid issue.

Doing it the same way, filling them a little more when changing ATF (1.5 cm above F).

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden

Better to tilt the cooler so the oil drains back into the tranny if you're going to use the "1/4" above the fill line when cold" measuring system.

The fluid ports on the cooler should point up. You will never be able to check quick enough b/4 it drains when they point down down. Why guess, do it the right way. Over filling causes foam and foam is not a good lubricant.

Once you know the proper level cold there is no reason to keep checking it running. If it's at the proper level cold there will be no foaming once it's running.

Once you know the proper level cold there is no reason to keep checking it running. If it's at the proper level cold there will be no foaming once it's running.

Right and its easy to get right. Measure immediately after shut down to verify correct running level. Wait till its drained then measure again. THAT will be the correct cold level. Mark the dipstick there.

Ken

...then replace the same amount that you removed during the fluid change. Check on the stick, run and then double check after shutdown. Never had a problem so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom