Velvet drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petelarsen

Vessel Name
Blue pearl
Vessel Make
34’ Mainship
Hello, having troubles identifying my trany, I have removed it from the blue pearl
Now before I rebuild, I need to locate the parts, but having troubles with what series it is, the # on the tag states 10-14-1000-00 serial # 1425 ratio# F20, most charts only start at 10-17 which is 71-72 series.

Check the Forum Library (upper right corner of the page). There’s a Velvet Drive manual that has a section on identifying your transmission.

Hello, having troubles identifying my trany, I have removed it from the blue pearl
Now before I rebuild, I need to locate the parts, but having troubles with what series it is, the # on the tag states 10-14-1000-00 serial # 1425 ratio# F20, most charts only start at 10-17 which is 71-72 series.

A 10-14 Velvet Drive is a CR2 based on a 72 series. It is a drop center transmission and was made in either 1.58, 2.03, 2.47 or 2.93 gear ratios. The number at the very end tells you what gear ratio and whether it is Right Hand or Left Hand rotation.

There is no such thing as an F20, but there is an E2.0 which is a 2.03 ratio LH drive (opposite rotation from engine).

Parts that are specific to this model are no longer made, but there are plenty of good used parts available at Velvet Drive rebuilders.

If you PM me I can send you a copy of the service manual.

Ken

Last edited:
file:///C:/Users/c_lei/Documents/ENGINES%20-%20GEARS%20-%20BOATS/Borg%20Warner/Velvet%20Drive%20models.htm

Try the above . Rice Marine shows how to ID

file:///C:/Users/c_lei/Documents/ENGINES%20-%20GEARS%20-%20BOATS/Borg%20Warner/Velvet%20Drive%20models.htm

Try the above . Rice Marine shows how to ID

That is a link to your local hard drive, Can't really get to it...:facepalm: I think the link you were trying to post is here.

I looked at the manual in the library and it sez it is fro 10-17 and 10-18, mine is a 10-13 and the OP's is a 10-14. So how much of this manual is applicable to the older transmissions?

Marty.........................

Last edited:
Thanks, you’re right the tag is difficult to read but now that you have informed me of E 2.0 is correct, also the no# 10-14-000-03 was able to identify, I’m a little distraught about not being able to purchase parts for this particular V.R although Napa Auto Parts ensures me that they have the parts, go figure.

Thanks, you’re right the tag is difficult to read but now that you have informed me of E 2.0 is correct, also the no# 10-14-000-03 was able to identify, I’m a little distraught about not being able to purchase parts for this particular V.R although Napa Auto Parts ensures me that they have the parts, go figure.

The parts that are common to the 72 are definitely available, clutches and some of the bearings and main housing gaskets. However all of the parts related to the reduction set (the rear section) are long out of production and new parts are pretty much impossible to find. This unfortunately includes the planetary output shaft and all of the gears used in the reduction housing.

But like I said, rebuilders carefully keep stock of good used parts and there are a LOT of Velvet Drive rebuilders.

Ken

Your are not alone with potential parts problems. These are a 40 year old or more design and have been supplanted by other newer designs.
I'm going to have a similar problem if I ever have a serious problem with my T.Disc unit.

TRY: https://www.harbormarine.net/transmission-service

They are in Bellingham and recommended by several older members here.
Look in Victoria and Vancouver, Campbell River, Nanaimo areas. There were a lot of those gears around and still are.

The parts that are common to the 72 are definitely available, clutches and some of the bearings and main housing gaskets. However all of the parts related to the reduction set (the rear section) are long out of production and new parts are pretty much impossible to find. This unfortunately includes the planetary output shaft and all of the gears used in the reduction housingKen

Correct. ebasicpower stocks all the alto rebuild kits including seals, gaskets, bearings, clutches, and numerous other parts.

TRY: https://www.harbormarine.net/transmission-service

They are in Bellingham and recommended by several older members here.
Look in Victoria and Vancouver, Campbell River, Nanaimo areas. There were a lot of those gears around and still are.

Harbor Marine has a Bellingham store now? I've always gone to the one at the Everett Marina. That would be a lot closer, I'll have to check that out.

Check it out. I think I may have mis spoken about their location. Should be Everett.

so I'm guessing this is left hand 2.46 /1 I did not see this model # referenced on any web page . what do I have ? I think the old boat had 71c with no gearing

Model: 30/E185A Ratio: E.25

This took a while, on the phone with many marinas and emailing them with the info on my velvet drive, with little response from them, I phoned Napa in Sydney B.C, hearing that the are beginning to be a part of the marine mechanical world, I talked to a parts representative for Napa named Mike.
A fisherman enthusiast he was excited to help with my velvet drive parts locating problem, within an hr he phoned me back with the parts I needed and had them in the next day, I had two other problems along the way of my velvet drive rebuild;1) forward drive pressure plates needed replacement and rear drive seal was wrong size in kit, phoned Mike at Napa, gave measurements of the seal and the old pressure plates, within the same day had them ordered, great job and very impressive.
Still no reply from any of the Marinas that I contacted!
All in for parts and seals gaskets etc, $800.
Once I have all the pics and the procedure that I rebuilt the velvet drive edited, I will post it so others having the same problem, this may help to get u through it .
I looked into a professional rebuild velvet drive around $5500

Looking forward to seeing the rebuild process and the results. Thanks for documenting.

I rebuilt my 71 series 11 years ago. It was relatively easy.
I bought a manual online then bought my parts thru my local distributor.
I spent about $500 in parts. The main cost was the two bearings which I really didn't need but since I had it apart it would have been crazy to NOT replace them.
This also includes paying $75 at a local marine shop where the old timer there who rebuild scores of those gears bench tested my work.
(I passed his test)
I had to buy a special "snap ring" pliers because the rings had a flat tab rather than the more normal holes to spread it.
And I had to make up a tool to hold the flange so I could torque the rear nut. The tool was nothing more than a 3 ft piece of slotted and holed angle steel with a couple of bolts (like the kind you can buy at Home Cheapo).
The nut is large (I forget the size) but I had a socket.

This took a while, on the phone with many marinas and emailing them with the info on my velvet drive, with little response from them, I phoned Napa in Sydney B.C, hearing that the are beginning to be a part of the marine mechanical world, I talked to a parts representative for Napa named Mike.
A fisherman enthusiast he was excited to help with my velvet drive parts locating problem, within an hr he phoned me back with the parts I needed and had them in the next day, I had two other problems along the way of my velvet drive rebuild;1) forward drive pressure plates needed replacement and rear drive seal was wrong size in kit, phoned Mike at Napa, gave measurements of the seal and the old pressure plates, within the same day had them ordered, great job and very impressive.
Still no reply from any of the Marinas that I contacted!
All in for parts and seals gaskets etc, $800.
Once I have all the pics and the procedure that I rebuilt the velvet drive edited, I will post it so others having the same problem, this may help to get u through it .
I looked into a professional rebuild velvet drive around $5500

That sounds great. I'm very interested to see your pics.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom