Any pics?
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: St. Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Bea
Vessel Model: Tiara 4000e
One of the few pix I have digitized.

You might also notice we are still into express cruisers.
Attached Thumbnails
Madelon001.jpg  

St. Augustine, FL
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #43

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy8321 View Post

Gorgeous! & love the small mast! That's classy.
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
My C&L 44 has a similar pattern to the teak deck boards in the OP's attachment. I Varnish the perimeter boards and the covering 1/4 rounds against the cabin sides. This gives a traditional good look to the otherwise gray deck and leaves good non-skid where it is needed.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I wonder what would be better? Straight 30W or 15W40 on teak decks. That's what we used to apply to wood flatbed trailer decks. Out in the weather all the time and never saw any rotted planks. I don't think it was new oil we used either (carbon stain?) so the wood was darkish in "color" but I did a lot of walking on the 40' trailerbed in all kinds of weather and don't remember any slipryness. Only "oiled" the decks once a year or less.

I offer this partly to mostly as a joke but think it may be an option to just letting the teak bake in the sun and turn light grey and eventually checking must take place. Of course new oil would be used and it probably would look nice ... but?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

City: -
The petroleum based motor oil would probably attack the deck seams and their adherence to the sides of the grooves and the deck would start leaking in a pretty big way. Not a concern with your trailer decks.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #47
Guru

Marin,
Could be. But if it was so oil based paints and thinners would perhaps produce lifting of the seam sealers too. I had my cap rails basically awash in turpentine and paint thinner or/and solvent and no damage to the seams w SikaFlex seemed affected.

The reason I see that would make this undesirable is that the oil would attract dirt so the deck surface would not be a nice place for Bakers Babes to lay out looking for looks.

The fishermen in SE coat their decks w (are you ready for this?) roofing tar. Works in Alaska. An 85 degree day in WA may keep one off the boat though.

Teak oil (not the usual stuff they call "teak oil" ) but the oil of the Teak tree would probably be better than anything. Interestingly I have a can of real Teak oil and it says on the can"for interior use". That makes no sense to me at all.

But I do think that probably some kind of oil would be best on Teak decks.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #48
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
But I do think that probably some kind of oil would be best on Teak decks.
Oiling a teak deck is not recommended by all the knowledgeable people I've talked to or read who have a lot of experience with teak decks. One issue is dirt. It attracts and holds it and then gets ground into the wood by people walking on it which a)gets the deck very dirty and b) acts like sandpaper to make wood cells go away as people walk on the deck and grind the dirt against it. And wood cells that go away never come back.

Another issue is that, depending on the seam compound that was used and the nature of the oil that is used, it can soften deck seams but worse, it can cause them to separate from one of both sides of the groove and water will start getting down under the deck.

Taking care of a teak deck and brightwork on teak trim are two different things. While there are lots of products people try to make a teak deck look "brown" all the time, it's been proven over a zillion years that the best way to maximize the life of a teak deck--- bearing in mind that nothing lives forever--- is to keep it clean and put nothing at all on it. Maintain the integrity of the deck seams and deck plugs if the planks are screwed down, and that's it.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #49
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:

You have great taste in boats, new and old!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #50
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Oiling a teak deck is not recommended by all the knowledgeable people I've talked to or read who have a lot of experience with teak decks. One issue is dirt. It attracts and holds it and then gets ground into the wood by people walking on it which a)gets the deck very dirty and b) acts like sandpaper to make wood cells go away as people walk on the deck and grind the dirt against it. And wood cells that go away never come back.

Another issue is that, depending on the seam compound that was used and the nature of the oil that is used, it can soften deck seams but worse, it can cause them to separate from one of both sides of the groove and water will start getting down under the deck.

Taking care of a teak deck and brightwork on teak trim are two different things. While there are lots of products people try to make a teak deck look "brown" all the time, it's been proven over a zillion years that the best way to maximize the life of a teak deck--- bearing in mind that nothing lives forever--- is to keep it clean and put nothing at all on it. Maintain the integrity of the deck seams and deck plugs if the planks are screwed down, and that's it.
Agree with all this 100 times over.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #51
Guru

Marin and caltex,
Teak is wood from a tree.
Are you two saying wood dosn't need any protection at all? ......
Apparently so.
I disagree. But I should'nt use the word "need". "Benefit" would be a better choice.
One thing I agree w and that's the pretense that "Dirt" gets "ground into the wood" ... to some degree. Normal wear may remove the "dirt" as well ... I really don't know.

One admission I'll make. I don't use engine lube oil on the 2x4 decking of my 14' utility trailer. I use my own oil mix .. mostly Linseed oil and turpentine but w some varnish. Don't recall if there's any "ground in dirt".

Old 02-27-2015, 06:28 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: St. Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Bea
Vessel Model: Tiara 4000e
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
You have great taste in boats, new and old!
Your taste "ain't too shabby" either

St. Augustine, FL
Ziggy8321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #53
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Your taste "ain't too shabby" either

Ditto!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 02-27-2015, 07:54 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin and caltex,
Teak is wood from a tree. Are you two saying wood dosn't need any protection at all? ......
Depends on what the wood is being used for. If it's on a house, yes, it will benefit from protection (paint, stain, etc.)

If it's a deck surface, the intengrity of the seams and the longevity of the wood will be maxmized if you don't put anything on it at all ASSUMING that what you want is a surface with great traction, wet or dry.

If all you want to do is maximize the life of a teak deck surface with no regard for anything else, sure, paint it. Or do a real good varnish job and then protect it from UV and the weather in a boathouse when you're not using the boat. But in both cases you'll be maximizing the longevity of the wood while sacrificing traction, particulary when it's wet.

So in my wife's and my opinions both of those kinds of protection negate the benefits of having a teak deck in the first place, which is to have a deck that gives great foot traction wet or dry. For that, you need the wood surface to be bare and clean.

So you have to pick your priorities. There's no one-answer-solves-everything other than simply not having a teak deck at all. And that's a matter of personal preference. My wife and I really like a teak-surfaced deck and we don't like a fiberglass-surfaced deck. So our priority is maximizing the life of the teak decks on our boats while still preserving the properties that make them worth having, which is traction. That means bare wood.