Vapor steam cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jungpeter

Guru
Vessel Name
LIBERTY
Vessel Make
TOLLY 48
hi. Anyone ever used a vapor steam cleaner for engine degreasing and bilge cleanup? From my WWW research, these things use pressurized super-heated steam made from distilled water (~65 psi, ~300 deg F at the nozzle) to accomplish the cleaning, rather than copious amounts of typical chemical degreasers to do the loosening of the gunk. They come with flexible hoses, extension wands, various scrub brush attachments for the tips, etc. Obviously, there will be some residue to remove from the bilge (no, i ain't gonna pump it overboard!), but the volume should be fairly small and easily collectable with bilge pads and rags.

Any advice appreciated.

Pete

Pete

to clarify before I say the below I have a boat that does not fit this forum even though some of the experience I have from it over the years does

one of cleaner/detailers at the main marina our boat uses a 2 person system a steamer used by one person and a vacuum system used by another they then clean the bilge and put a squirrel fan in the engine room for a few hours.

Next time I am at the Marina ( next week I hope) I can try to take some pictures of the set up

Sk

Back in the late sixties I bought a used boat that had a bilge caked with oil and grease. I borrowed a serious steam cleaner from a heavy equipment company. I think it was fired by diesel fuel. It melted all that grease and oil and since I was on land, I just let it run out the garboard drain hole. It left the bilge spotless.

It didn't use distilled water. It was just hooked to a garden hose.

Back
Top Bottom