Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Never had any problem when cruising down in that area, and we were at anchor most of the time, using the dinghy to run ashore and do whatever had to be done. But we did have a dog on board ("Cindy The Boat Dog!") who would bark if someone came to the boat. It occurs to me that they do sell security systems now which are activated by a motion detector and which sound amazingly like a very large and very mean dog which goes into a frenzy of barking! Never been a burglar myself, so cannot claim to know the thinking process, but I think that most of them will avoid a barking dog and find easier pickings.

John

jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I don't want people dropping it in the water or using it to rinse their holding tank.
So... I pulled up to the pump-out one day and was watching and waiting on the guy ahead of me to finish. He was filling and flushing his holding tank repeatedly. On about the third pass, I walked over and asked how long he thought he might be and he apologized and said "last time". The dock hose was stuck IN the pump-out port and then the tank gurgled full. He then takes that SAME HOSE and stuffs it in his POTABLE WATER PORT and says. "Lemme top of my potable water and I'll be out of your way".

I haven't drunk water from a dock hose, used a dock hose to fill my tanks, or drank water from another person's boat since.

SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The best alarm system I have found is the BoatNanny which is a cellular satellite system that will call three phone numbers. The system includes, motion, high water, AC electric, DC electric, high temp, low temp, loud sounding alarm and alarm light http://www.theboatnanny.com/index.html
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
So... I pulled up to the pump-out one day and was watching and waiting on the guy ahead of me to finish. He was filling and flushing his holding tank repeatedly. On about the third pass, I walked over and asked how long he thought he might be and he apologized and said "last time". The dock hose was stuck IN the pump-out port and then the tank gurgled full. He then takes that SAME HOSE and stuffs it in his POTABLE WATER PORT and says. "Lemme top of my potable water and I'll be out of your way".

I haven't drunk water from a dock hose, used a dock hose to fill my tanks, or drank water from another person's boat since.
You can't fix stupid!

I have to fill my tanks from the dock supply but, as I posted, I use my own hose.

Technically, what that guy did could contaminate the entire dock's water supply. It's called "cross contamination" and is the reason backflow preventers and such are often required by code on certain fixtures.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Yeah. We have back-flow preventers on all of our dock hoses here (code I suspect), but man it was gross. He thought he had a great idea there, but when he stuck that hose down into his potable water fill I was just shocked. Didn't know how to even tell the guy... or even if I should. (yuck)
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Technically, what that guy did could contaminate the entire dock's water supply. It's called "cross contamination" and is the reason backflow preventers and such are often required by code on certain fixtures.
Exactly right. Also why those who write plumbing codes have been pushing for more universal use of integrated vacuum breakers on hose bibb faucets for decades. Drives me crazy when people remove the screw on style for convenience.

Cross connection control and back flow prevention represents a very large percentage of my income.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Exactly right. Also why those who write plumbing codes have been pushing for more universal use of integrated vacuum breakers on hose bibb faucets for decades. Drives me crazy when people remove the screw on style for convenience.

Cross connection control and back flow prevention represents a very large percentage of my income.
People don't realize how sick you can get from drinking a little poop or rat poison.

I have an underground irrigation system (that I installed myself). It had to pass an initial inspection and the backflow device must be inspected and tested annually by a certified tester. Fail to have it inspected and the city will turn the water off to the building.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #28
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
On the hook, an NRA sticker on the back window, empty binocular case on the table, half a box of .300 Winchester Magnum cartridges open next to it... Everything will be there when you get back.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
Guru

While not at anchor, 2 people were murdered in our marina today.

Man, woman found dead on houseboat at Loggerhead Marina | wtsp.com

I've been trying to get a 38 special since Sandy Hook, but can't find one.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #30

City: EC FL
Why limit your self to one caliber?

Thatís a sad story. Be careful. If you see updates post them TIA

The Fun shops in my east coast FL location have lots of used Glock .40, S&W Colt, and Kimber .45sí, as well as US made 357 wheel guns, all of which would serve well as a personal defense weapon.

Without exception they are all over priced, but thatís life today.

Stay safe, I donít fly often but when I do on your airline I like to imagine you are hauling me around.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

If you have one of those universal looking "white hoses"...sharpie your name or boats name on it so you have a decent argument to get it back...
My replacement was a white hose, but now I store it aboard. Safer there, and it's available for use at a "foreign" marina.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

I've been trying to get a 38 special since Sandy Hook, but can't find one.
Try looking for a small-frame (five-shot) revolver in 357 Magnum. They shoot 38 Special (and 38+) as well. They are generally of higher quality since they are designed to control the high pressures of the 357.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 AM   #33
Guru

I don't have any idea why you would want a pistol on your boat. A rifle will reach much further if you actually need to shoot it, and everything on or over the water is a long ways away. A good shotgun with slugs and buckshot is also good, and you won't have the issues with them you will with a pistol. Especially in Canada. I would hate to return to my boat at anchor with a pistol and meet a guy with a rifle or shotgun. My opinion...
Old 04-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #34
Guru

I am out in the woods when I anchor, so I really have no idea when you all consider anchoring out. Because almost everyone carries a firearm in the woods, it a very polite society. I would hate to anchor where my greatest concern was people...
Old 04-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #35
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Yikes. When passing through Canadian waters on your way to and from Alaska, are there any rules you have to follow?

I make noise in the bush and carry pepper spray, so feel no need for a gun.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #36
Guru

No handguns. Period. Shotguns and rifles are ok depending on the purpose for having it along. Bear protection when you go to the beach is a good reason, even to Customs. That noise thing is a mixed blessing. Some people are out there who would really LIKE to see the bears, and if you want to scare them away, there is an inherent conflict of interests. Don't scare them away so no one gets to see them. Don't ruin someone else's dream trip into nature. If you LIKE to see bears, and take their pictures, a gun for protection is a good idea.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #37
Guru

Luckily, crowds are non-existent and we aren't stepping on each others toes around here

I saw a documentary where a camera crew was 'befriended' by an adolescent spirit bear. Apparently, the young bear found out that the bigger bears protecting their prime fishing spots would stop chasing it if it hung out near the camera crew. In time, it would even let the crew follow it into the bush and film it while it slept. What struck me was how the young bear would wake up and stare into the bush in the direction of a branch snapping.

I now pick up a nice dry branch and whack tree trunks or rocks as I hike along, figuring that is exactly the kind of sound they are listening for anyway, and it gives them lots of time to mosey out of my way. Been working so far, and it's waaaaaaaay better than those stupid, annoying brass tinkly bear bells!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #38
Scraping Paint

City: -
While we take a short barrel, full length magazine pump shotgun with us when we fly into the back country or boat into more remote areas we follow the advice given to us by a Fish and Game fellow in SE Alaska many years ago. And that is to carry one of those compressed gas boat horns that you can buy in marine stores and beep it off now and then if you're in bear territory. The sound carries for a mile or more, is very unnatural out in the wilderness, and spooks bears away better than anything else.

He told us that during salmon spawns when they'd be hiking the streams to get average fish counts they were constantly encountering bears who were as interested in the fish as they were. Some of the encounters were quite dangerous. Somebody thought of trying a gas boat horn and it worked. The sound carried over the rush of water in the streams and warned the bears something strange was coming and gave them a chance to move out of the area on their own instead of having to react to the appearance of a human.

So they issued horns to all the members of the fish count teams with instructions to beep them off periodically as they moved upstream. They did this and the bear encounters dropped to near zero. When we met this fellow and were given this tip he and the fish count teams had been using the horns for years with almost total success.

We still carry the gun when we're in an area that seems like good bear country but we use the horn and it has always done the trick for us. We had to use the gun once before we learned about the horn idea; the horn is far, far preferable.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #39
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
If you LIKE to see bears, and take their pictures, a gun for protection is a good idea.
On this trip, my wife and I slogged through mud that was about 8 inches deep and pulled at our boots with every step. The hike was about 3/4 of a mile from the estuary where we left the 12' Lund. We had secured it to a tree with about 300 feet of line to allow it to float with an outgoing tide.

The temperature was 80 degrees and we crouched in the sedge grass while huge flies attacked us incessantly.

About an hour later, A sow and her 3 cubs could be seen on our side of the river, working their way toward us. The guide (carrying a shotgun with slugs) instructed us to remain very still. My wife was the videographer & I shot the stills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	17987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	17988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	17989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	17990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	17991  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #40
Guru

Pretty cool, Walt. Three cubs!

We're at the other end of the extreme and choose to avoid seasonal bear habitat. On our six month sea kayak trip on BC's coast, we saw only one bear.