Vacuum Packing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktdtx

Guru
Vessel Make
24" El Pescador
9961-albums346-picture1910.jpg

May be old news to some but I got tired of throwing corroded things away from inside my small boat's "waterproof" box-which it may be but it sure isn't humidity or corrosion proof.
Tried vacuum, packing-a strobe and some batteries.

Maybe it took me so long to think of this because I'm not too bright--I sure am having a difficult time getting a picture to show up.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I am now a firm believer in vacuum packing. I am now able store an assortment of blankets, towels, and clothing in my cozy v-berth lockers. Amazing how much I can pack in one bag!

I vacuum bag all of my flares.

Never thought of doing that on the boat. Great idea.

Vashon, when you shrink wrap blankets then use them, do you shrink wrap them again?

Sometimes, GFC. Blankets are used infrequently with the Florida weather, so they stay stored in the bags; but they are ready when I need them. I have a small shop vac on board in my engine room so I can quickly pack/seal. I also have spare clothing, v-berth sheets, and towels (shorts/shirts) sealed in bags--keeps them fresh and mold free.

When we were full time cruisers we vac bagged a lot of stuff, engine spares, safety gear, food etc. The best thing was two years supply of toilet paper and paper towels!

TP, if you remove the cardboard core shrinks way down when vac'd and saved a ton of space.. and most importantly stayed dry.

Just remember when bagging ones ditch bag stuff to leave out one knife to be able to open the bags without resorting to gnawing it open with one's teeth

HOLLYWOOD

Hmmmm, interesting. I will have to investigate that further. I know Costco sells a vacuum machine for food but don't know if it would be large enough to work with blankets.

Hollywood, good point about the knife. There is one in my ditch bag, but your point was well made.

I've seen larger bags for blankets and clothes that use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out.

If I'm not mistaken both ZipLoc and Glad make the space saver vacuum bags for large items such as blankets, clothes, toilet paper, etc. etc. I'm sure there are other companies that make the bags but the two mentioned above are what come to mind at this moment.

All you need is a home type of vacuum, like a ShopVac, and you're good to go.

Last edited:
We used the vacuum bags years ago and they always let air in and expanded. Are the seals better now?

hmason--To answer your question, here is a photo of a few bags from Sherpa that have been sealed and stored in my home's spare bedroom for over six months--still sealed perfectly. Inside the bags are towels, blankets, shirts, sheets, etc.

Attachments

• 100_2432.jpg
    100_2432.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 86
VT, do you recall the brand?

Ziploc brand! My wife used the house vacuum to seal these. Amazing how much she was able to pack in them. They are normally stored in the v-berth lockers.

I will hunt them down. Thanks.

Several years ago I tried using the Space Saver brand bags. Like hmason, I was disappointed. I'll give the Ziplock brand a try. Thanks for the tip.

Things like oil filters need sealing love too. The cans are plain steel, expected to be installed in months , not years.

Full vacuum is not required , just enough to remove most of the damp air.

We have used the Zip Lock vacuum bags both at home and on the boat for years with good success. I also vacuum bag/seal a wide range of other things, mostly spare parts and things that will sit around for a long time (hopefully). Never though of the ditch bag, but that's a great idea.

We are vacuum seal crazy. We seal all food going to the freezer. We seal any parts on the boat possible. We seal any blankets or other items that aren't in use. Protecting is the first advantage. However, on a boat, space savings becomes huge. We have trips that include climate changes and we will remove some items from bags and put others in. The fact of anywhere, anytime you have access to a vacuum makes it so convenient. We've had no problems with the bags leaking. Our first time ever with the large bags, we purchased them at a dollar store and they were great. Don't remember the brand, Now we buy Zip-loc.

A couple of little tricks for those sealing with vacuum sealer machines.
-Make the bag a little big for the item or items. Then it's reusable because you cut it to open it but still have space to reseal.
-The area outside the seal line can be used for many things. You can staple to it. But perhaps the best use we've seen is in our parts storage at home (yes we keep some on the boat and extra at home). You can punch a hole (outside the sealed area) and easily hang it on pegboard or wallboard hooks. Visible, space saving, protected.

Back
Top Bottom