Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
dkasprzak's Avatar
 
City: Currently - Aransas Pass
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hattini
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Hatteras Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Vacuflush pump cycling

I am in the middle of trying to determine why the Vacuflush pump is short cycling for the forward head. The back story is this.

Originally the pump jammed, and due to a combination of not knowing how the pump is designed along with the way it is installed (could not see the cam eccentric) I inadvertantly loosened the main body clamp. At that point I realized what I had done so I just removed the pump assembly so I could better work on it to put it back together. I reinstalled the assembly then it started cycling about every 10 minutes. Thinking I may have a loose hose clamp or something along those lines I tightened the nipples on both sides where the duckbills are installed along with the main body clamp and all hose clamps. After that....it cycled about every two minutes.

Thinking I may have damaged an o-ring or a duckbill I removed the assembly again, ordered a rebuild kit with all new duckbills, o-rings and bellows assembly. Put all the new parts in the pump and just completed reinstalling it. I still have the exact same issue, the pump cycles about 4 strokes every two minutes or so.

Now, I am looking for troubleshooting advice. Logic tells me that since it WAS NOT cycling before it jammed and now does after I took the pump apart I still don't have the pump put together properly. My only hesitancy with that scenario is the pump is very simple and all of the work was done on a bench with no problems. Any advice on which way to go with troubleshooting and what to look for next...
__________________
Advertisement

dkasprzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Guru
 
rochepoint's Avatar
 
City: Sidney BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,191
In the library last June I uploaded a trouble shooting guide to for Vacuflush, download a copy and maybe it will help.........
__________________

__________________
Cheers Mike Barge
MV Rochepoint
Sidney, British Columbia.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member
 
dkasprzak's Avatar
 
City: Currently - Aransas Pass
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hattini
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Hatteras Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
In the library last June I uploaded a trouble shooting guide to for Vacuflush, download a copy and maybe it will help.........
Thanks Mike,

The "in the library" part is where I'm hung up....I don't see a link to a library, am I misinterpreting...?
dkasprzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
RNL
Senior Member
 
RNL's Avatar
 
City: Sitka
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Rob n' Lee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42' #192
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 108
look at the library button at the very top right aspect of the trawler forum page
RNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
dkasprzak's Avatar
 
City: Currently - Aransas Pass
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hattini
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Hatteras Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasprzak View Post
Thanks Mike,

The "in the library" part is where I'm hung up....I don't see a link to a library, am I misinterpreting...?
Disregard the former "stupid" post of mine...I found it. Thanks again.....
dkasprzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
You did a leaky head repair a couple weeks ago. Has it worked ok since then or is this a different head?

Also, you said you Google so you probably saw this:
http://www.dometicsanitation.com/International/PG-6985-VacuFlush-Toilet-Systems
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
dkasprzak's Avatar
 
City: Currently - Aransas Pass
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hattini
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Hatteras Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
You did a leaky head repair a couple weeks ago. Has it worked ok since then or is this a different head?
Same head....same issue. Just this morning reinstalled the pump after putting all new parts in it....
dkasprzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasprzak View Post
Same head....same issue.
It was a water leak before the repair, right? Now a vac leak?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member
 
dkasprzak's Avatar
 
City: Currently - Aransas Pass
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hattini
Vessel Model: 1985 43' Hatteras Motor Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 61
No, it was originally a jammed pump, I inadvertently loosened the main body clamp and then realized what I had done.......after releasing the stuck bellows (disassembling and reassembling the pump) I had a leak...hence rebuilding the pump.

I still have the leak so am trying to determine the best way to locate it.
dkasprzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasprzak View Post
No, it was originally a jammed pump, I inadvertently loosened the main body clamp and then realized what I had done.......after releasing the stuck bellows (disassembling and reassembling the pump) I had a leak...hence rebuilding the pump.

I still have the leak so am trying to determine the best way to locate it.
Ok. I went back to your previous thread and see it was the aft head with the water leak. Sorry to waste your time.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Guru
 
HeadMistress's Avatar


 
City: AR
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,186
Where was the water leak? That's the first place to look for the air leak that's causing your pump to cycle.

It's highly possible it isn't in the pump, but in a fitting connection. You can spend all day using a vacuum tester gauge to take every connection apart to check for it, or you can do it the easy way: squirt a LITTLE shaving cream on every hose connection, then flush the toilet. The shaving cream will just sit there on any connection that is NOT leaking...the suction will pull it into any connection that is.

Or it could be in the bowl...to find out, fill it half full with water, then go away for a couple of hours, or at least longer than the time between pump cycling. If the pump doesn't cycle, the water has blocked the leak--at least until it's all leaked out...if it does, the air leak is somewhere else, However, that doesn't rule out another one in the bowl, so give it plenty of time to make sure the water level in the bowl isn't dropping.

The trouble-shooting guide should provide you with other things to check...if you still can't find it, give SeaLand (they now answer the phone "Dometic") a call on Monday: 800-321-9886
__________________
2017 Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since '87.
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors"
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
djones44's Avatar
 
City: Salt Spring Island
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 168
I recently had the same issue with my Vacuflush, and when I changed out the vacuum valve? right behind the toilet bowl everything was resolved. Make sure you get the exact same fitting before proceeding, not one with an optional water outlet.
djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #13
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,147
Good place for parts:


Marine Sanitation - Marine toilet experts
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #14
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasprzak
I still have the leak so am trying to determine the best way to locate it.
Anything to tell?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
HenryD's Avatar
 
City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 353
What model vacuflush? If you had a leak prior...where are you noticing the liquid?
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #16
Guru
 
sbu22's Avatar
 
City: New Orleans
Country: US
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 677
Thanks, Mike! Only been on TF for 4-5 years - never noticed.
sbu22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #17
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkasprzak View Post
I am in the middle of trying to determine why the Vacuflush pump is short cycling for the forward head. The back story is this.

Originally the pump jammed, and due to a combination of not knowing how the pump is designed along with the way it is installed (could not see the cam eccentric) I inadvertantly loosened the main body clamp. At that point I realized what I had done so I just removed the pump assembly so I could better work on it to put it back together. I reinstalled the assembly then it started cycling about every 10 minutes. Thinking I may have a loose hose clamp or something along those lines I tightened the nipples on both sides where the duckbills are installed along with the main body clamp and all hose clamps. After that....it cycled about every two minutes.

Thinking I may have damaged an o-ring or a duckbill I removed the assembly again, ordered a rebuild kit with all new duckbills, o-rings and bellows assembly. Put all the new parts in the pump and just completed reinstalling it. I still have the exact same issue, the pump cycles about 4 strokes every two minutes or so.

Now, I am looking for troubleshooting advice. Logic tells me that since it WAS NOT cycling before it jammed and now does after I took the pump apart I still don't have the pump put together properly. My only hesitancy with that scenario is the pump is very simple and all of the work was done on a bench with no problems. Any advice on which way to go with troubleshooting and what to look for next...
OK so what was your solution? Don't leave us hanging....
__________________
1988 M/Y Camargue Yacht Fisher
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
OK so what was your solution? Don't leave us hanging....
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:00 PM   #19
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5,734
Maybe this was dkasprzak's problem. Two days ago our Vacuflush started cycling every 4 hours or so.

First thing I did was check for leaks. I tightened all the clamps and changed the duck bills (4) and it still cycled. The one part that hadn't been changed since we've owned Hobo (9 years) was the vacuum switch on the vacuum tank. Bingo! Pictures are of the new and the old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	49974   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	49975  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,996
Greetings,
That'll buff out...

__________________

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012