Old 02-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #21
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
RE: V Berth Mattress

I don't know about the bugs and such but our V-berth mattresses were old , too thin and darn uncomfortable.
3 or 4 yrs ago we went to costco and got a 2" memory foam topper and it turned the berths into a comfortable place to sleep. The new foam simply lies atop the old foam.
My wife wrapped them completely in sheets and we haven't had any problems with bunching.
I had a large pair of shears and it did a good job of cutting the topper to shape.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 AM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

V-berths are the pits if you're sleeping with an intimate*partner.* Better to reconfigure with an off-set double berth.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
FF wrote:

We have found the old style HEAVY foam rubber (that is lightened with hollow tubes up from the bottom ) is the best on a slab of plywood.
For what it's worth,* I think what Fred is talking about is called Latex pin core foam* He's right, it's VERY comfortable, but with a price to match.* We just went through this, and quotes for a queen size piece were around $1000.00.* We kept looking for a solution, and visited several upholstery shops, only to find most types of foam were really expensive.* While at a Jo Anns fabric shop, we were ready to buy a couple pieces on sale for half off, but another customer told us to check Fred Meyer's, so we did.* They sell large sheets of different densities for $19.00 ea.* We bought four, two very soft, and two firmer, put one on top of the other and love the result.* I have no idea what type of foam it is, and it may break down quickly, but meanwhile, it's darn comfy and it was hundred's of dollars less than anyone else......................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #24

City: WA

The previous owners of our boat put in custom mattresses from boatbeds.com. Both the aft stateroom and the V-berth. The v-berth mattresses fit perfectly. The mattress sides are angled to match the sides of the hull. While probably not an inexpensive option, they are nice.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #25
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Being a liveaboard, I wanted the best mattress I could find. I went with a handcraft mattress that is made for the marine environment and love it! http://www.hmcwest.com/index.html
They custom make in various grades and prices. Mine was made to fold in half easily to get it in and out of the boat. Once,* it got soaked in fresh water from a leak. We just stood it up on the aft deck for a few days and it dried out fine, no mold, mildew or rust. The springs are powder coated.
Highly recommended.

That being said, most major mattress companies can custom make mattresses. I had one made by them for a couch that folds out into a bed. Very comfy as well.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #26

City: WA

http://www.hmcwest.com/index.html and boatbeds.com are the same company. Our mattresses are very comfortable. A huge step up from the v-berth sailboat mattress we were used to.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Keith wrote:
" I wanted the best mattress I could find. I went with a handcraft mattress that is made for the marine environment and love it! http://www.hmcwest.com/index.html
Keith:* I did the same thing and it's one of the best improvements I've made on the
boat.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #28

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

Quote:
C lectric wrote:

I don't know about the bugs and such but our V-berth mattresses were old , too thin and darn uncomfortable.
3 or 4 yrs ago we went to costco and got a 2" memory foam topper and it turned the berths into a comfortable place to sleep. The new foam simply lies atop the old foam.
My wife wrapped them completely in sheets and we haven't had any problems with bunching.
I had a large pair of shears and it did a good job of cutting the topper to shape.
We did exactly the same thing, both on the boat and at home. Never a bad nights sleep (unless the admiral is snoring).

DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #29

We have memory foam over mattress foam and are very happy with the comfort . We have it covered with a high quality marine fabric has lasted and weathered very well. Hope this help you. PJ
Pacific Joule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
Guru

Welcome aboard Pacific Joule.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #31
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Pacific Joule wrote:
We have memory foam over mattress foam and are very happy with the comfort . We have it covered with a high quality marine fabric has lasted and weathered very well. Hope this help you. PJ
Welcome JouleIs that a 28' or 30' Commander? Great boat. I assume you are in BC. Where abouts?

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

V-berths are the pits if you're sleeping with an intimate*partner.* Better to reconfigure with an off-set double berth.

Of course, but there's really no room.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Rusty Lewis wrote:

The previous owners of our boat put in custom mattresses from boatbeds.com. Both the aft stateroom and the V-berth. The v-berth mattresses fit perfectly. The mattress sides are angled to match the sides of the hull. While probably not an inexpensive option, they are nice.

I checked Sunday and mine are angled also.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
Guru

And if you mean the offset double where someone has to crawl over someone else to get out, cracking their heads on the overhead, then I'll stick with the v-berth.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #35

V Berth Mattress

Quote:
Carey wrote:

Pacific Joule wrote:
Welcome JouleIs that a 28' or 30' Commander? Great boat. I assume you are in BC. Where abouts?

Clark & Carey,*****Thank you for the welcome to the sight , seems like you guys have*good things*going on here, glad to be aboard , I hope my in put will be helpful.
You are right about me being from BC, right now our home port is Kitimat .
You are also right about the make of out boat , A Commander She is a 1986 30'er. I do not think there has been a 28' made but there is a 26' and a limited number of 38's .
Safe and Happy Boating . PJ.

-- Edited by Pacific Joule on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 12:18:45 AM

-- Edited by Pacific Joule on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 12:31:00 AM

Pacific Joule is offline   Reply With Quote