Old 12-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: englewood fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Do you not have a removable insert that converts the two sides to one big platform?

-Chris
Negative

hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #22

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...way too many boats are so poorly designed that the vee berths slope aft which makes sleeping that way not comfortable...
Really? In all the boats I've chartered, and all the boats I've owned, I have never found this to be the case. I must be very lucky.

Oh, and for the OP... If your v-berth doesn't have an insert then you need to make one (or have one made), which should be relatively easy. Good luck to you.

denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
FF
Guru

If your v-berth doesn't have an insert then you need to make one (or have one made), which should be relatively easy.

The problem with an insert is,, instead of simply getting out of bed to visit the head ,

you need to do a back flip over the pillows and land feet up.

Or crawl over the pillows , find a hand grip and attempt to stand up dragging your knees over the pillows..

Climbing back in bed required climbing over the pillows and doing a U TURN , hopefully with out waking your bunkie.

The problem (besides the crap motion ) of bunks stuffed into the fore peak is always getting in & out of them.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
These guys did a great job of making a custom mattress for Moonstruck. It sleeps great. They were on time and at the quoted price. Very happy.

Custom Mattress, Boat Mattress, Yacht Mattress, RV Mattress, Short Queen Mattress, Trailer Mattress, Marine Mattress, Round Mattress, Foam Mattress, Latex Mattress - Comfort Custom Mattresses & Marine Bedding Inc.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
My V-birth wasn't wide enough. So I built in an extra level on top of the original. Raised it 4".
Made it wider as the hull slopes out the higher you go gave me an extra 6" of width.

Also extra hidden storage space for smuggling.

sd
Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
If your v-berth doesn't have an insert then you need to make one (or have one made), which should be relatively easy.

The problem with an insert is,, instead of simply getting out of bed to visit the head ,

you need to do a back flip over the pillows and land feet up.

Or crawl over the pillows , find a hand grip and attempt to stand up dragging your knees over the pillows..

Climbing back in bed required climbing over the pillows and doing a U TURN , hopefully with out waking your bunkie.

The problem (besides the crap motion ) of bunks stuffed into the fore peak is always getting in & out of them.

FF: I couldn't help but imagine those contorted images while attempting to surmount the V-berth equipment described in post #2.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
You guys all seem to have a basic misunderstanding of what v-berths are for. They are not for sleeping on. They are for storing things on. The salespeople managed to somehow convey that they are for sleeping on, so that they can advertise a 20' boat as "sleeps 25." But they are for storage, pure and simple. Once you accept that as a given fact, then it all makes sense.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I think you're onto something there, John. Our fwd stateroom has bunks instead of a V berth, but it serves as our storage center rather than sleeping quarters. Only 1 or 2 young kids or inebriated guests have ever slept there. Both lack the gift of reason to know better.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Hello Hitch. Although the entire forward part of Seaweed was a playpen at one time it had totally inadequate thin stiff hard miserable imitation foam that smelled funky when I bought the boat. I opted to toss that junk and put a mattress down the port side. 5" of foam at the bottom with a 4" memory foam mattress topper and it's right comfy. The excess playpen area is great for my coffee cup, Skipper's water dish and just to have a place to sit down while dressing and such.

It's not ideal getting into and out of -- thank goodness there are no witnesses, but I will say the addition of that 5" foam made all the difference in the world. The memory foam topper mattress I cut with scissors to accommodate the hull forward. It was a Walmart special (twin size/Skipper doesn't take much room) and the outer fabric cover had a zipper so tweaking it for the boat was relatively easy.

A decent mattress and great pillow helps a lot. What's wrong with yours? And if you don't have a great light for reading in your bunk, plus a fan, well, get those. I also have a VHF right by my bunk so that I can check weather and if someone calls on the main VHF I can answer without getting up. A pair of cigarette lighter outlets makes charging the Kindle or cell phone a snap. Ditto, the electric blanket that runs on 12-volts.

Good luck Hitch, but if you told us what's wrong specifically we might just have better and more specific ideas.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdogs View Post
Sleep with your feet pointed towards the bow.
That worked for us in our old CA 34 with a custom full mattress except when making the bed each day was a little tough.

ps these cute girl photos get me in trouble with the boss when she asks what am I looking at and I say "just a trawler forum" and that photo pops up !!!
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdogs View Post
Sleep with your feet pointed towards the bow.
We find that decidedly uncomfortable. Tried it the first couple nights aboard then had a brainstorm and slept feet astern as psneeld mentions, problem solved.

It also eliminates the pillow issue FF mentioned. Not only do we have more comfortable headroom but those late night jaunts are just a simple slide away. We have the filler piece but never remove it and have no clue what foam the PO used when making the cushions but at only 2" thick they are as comfortable as any real mattress we've slept on.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I think you're onto something there, John. Our fwd stateroom has bunks instead of a V berth, but it serves as our storage center rather than sleeping quarters. Only 1 or 2 young kids or inebriated guests have ever slept there. Both lack the gift of reason to know better.
I will confirm that as I'm an eyewitness of it (the storage center).