Old 06-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #1

City: Houston
USS Gabrielle Giffords

http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/06/...ning-ceremony/

Fantastic to see this event in person today and tour the ship. Top speed - and most other technical capabilities - not disclosed.

CDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: South Florida
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Gabrielle_Giffords

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
The politization of the USN's ship naming is pathetic. Sailors must be so proud to sew on their John Murtha patch on their uniform. The Gabby Gifford is a USNS ship, so only marginally laughable.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Gabby was my representative when she was shot. Glad they are naming a ship for her. She has made a heroic recovery.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
The politization of the USN's ship naming is pathetic. Sailors must be so proud to sew on their John Murtha patch on their uniform. The Gabby Gifford is a USNS ship, so only marginally laughable.
It's you that is slanted. I didm't even think of that. Watching too much TV?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: AICW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Niot sure that it is a USNSvessel, but my son who just got out of the Navy said the whole littoral mission of the Navy is very suspe ct from within.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:59 PM   #7

I wasn't expecting my original post to stir the pot politically. I just thought the ship was a cool and futuristic design.
But I'm sure people will be miffed in equal numbers by the naming of the future USS Barack Obama and the USS Donald Trump. (Both carriers...one powered by solar, and the other by coal.)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
The Gabby Gifford is a USNS ship, so only marginally laughable.
USS Gabrielle Giffords (LCS-10) is an Independence-class littoral combat ship of the United States Navy. The ship was delivered to the U.S. Navy on 23 December 2016. She was COMMISSIONED on 10 June 2017 (yesterday) in Galveston, Texas.

Commissioned Navy vessels and craft are called "United States Ship" or "U.S.S. or USS"

In service but non-commissioned Navy vessels and craft are called "United States Naval Ship" or "U.S.N.S. or USNS"
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 AM   #9

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
In service but non-commissioned Navy vessels and craft are called "United States Naval Ship" or "U.S.N.S. or USNS"[/QUOTE]

No, USNS ships are Auxilliarie ships, research vessels , AO's, AOE's Supply ships. A ship is not in service if it isn't commisiioned. Just my take from 22 years in the Navy (Ret.) I am currently working as a civilian on a USNS vessel as we speak.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 AM   #10
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
[QUOTE=CDreamer;562726But I'm sure people will be miffed in equal numbers by the naming of the future USS Barack Obama and the USS Donald Trump. (Both carriers...one powered by solar, and the other by coal.)[/QUOTE]

Ba-da-boom! OK, that's funny!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
I think you are 100% dead wrong.

The ship was named after a United States Congresswoman who was shot in the line of duty.

She should be honored, and frankly I could care less about which side of the isle she sat on in congress.
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #12
Guru

The naming of ships like our own boats can be emotional.

I for one loved tbe 210 foot Reliance class USCG cutter names.

Reliance, Diligence, Dependable, Vigorous, Vigilant,.......etc...names thst when I was aboard actually stirred emotion.

If the cutter was USCGC Munro, or USCGC Hamilton...named after hugely brave Medal of Honor winners or founding fathers...the same.

While being shot in the line of duty is one thing....how many in the US can claim that?

Not saying why....but in my mind...what were they doing to get shot? Did they purposly put themselves in harms way?

People who serve on these vessels have to have an overwhelming sense of pride to be underpaid, away from home and in harms way and do the job well and want to serve.

I did it and pride overcomes a lot of inequalities of capitalism and patriotism.

Can't say it's a bad name, but how many other possibilities were out there to REALLY inspire a crew that didn't fall into todays workd of self centeredness and instant gratification?

I sat on awards boards much of my career, tough decisions, but I was always called the hard a** .

That was because I forced the boards to consider the past and future against the "current" stsndard...bigger things than touchy feely ...right now good times.

I can only hope the crews can get behind the name, no going back now. But without crew enthusiasm, no ship of the line will pull her weight.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #13

From recent family experience I can tell you that among the approximately 5500 total Ships Crew/Air Wing on the carrier Ronald Reagan, about 50% were far left-of-center politically and had an unfavorable opinion of the ship's namesake and the military in general. They only care about the GI Bill as a means to an end (college funding). So I'm not sure the name Gabrielle Giffords is going to be worse in terms of motivation.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
My mistake - Giffords is commissioned (USS) vice auxillary (USNS).

Ms. Giffords suffered immensely and has managed a remarkable and very tough recovery.

My gripe is about the highjacking of the ship naming process by political hacks. I find the Ford, Regan, and Milk, all equally offensive. Then we go from the sublime to the ridiculous in naming an LPD after John Murtha - the guy who publicly tried and convicted the Haditha Marines - well in advance of any fact finding by the USMC. Actual results - 6 cases dropped due to complete lack of evidence and one reduction in grade for dereliction of duty - not murder.

Hyman G. Rickover should get a good bit of the blame for starting this - naming submarines for people rather than aquatic species under the theory the "Fish don't vote."

What happened to Ticonderoga, Valley Forge, etc. for capital ships? Guess they don't vote, either. Mabus at least conceded to name some smaller ships for exceptional military figures: Basilone, Sullivans, etc.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
From recent family experience I can tell you that among the approximately 5500 total Ships Crew/Air Wing on the carrier Ronald Reagan, about 50% were far left-of-center politically and had an unfavorable opinion of the ship's namesake and the military in general. They only care about the GI Bill as a means to an end (college funding). So I'm not sure the name Gabrielle Giffords is going to be worse in terms of motivation.
Maybe it started before that ship was even named...and the process it was named

My son just got off that ship too....and he agrees the average young en listed man these days left a lot to be desired and he got out.

My nephew got out of the Marines for the same reason...he had been one of the first into Afghanistan.

I was lucky...I worked with top notch guys in USCG Aviation. From seaman up...but many on the cutters I flew off of somewhat reflected the public cross section.

My observation always has been.... when the powers to be, thought money and giveaways were the answer to recruitment and retention...they were the problem with leadership.

And I don't blame the senior officers that had to make it work...maybe they had little else to work with....

But I will say.....since the beginning of the US Navy and USCG, ships with pride more than just included the ships name in their feelings, duty and actions.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 PM   #16

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
Just can't see honoring someone who's total focus is to take away one of the highest priority rights given to all Americans by the Constitution. Every time this ships crew fires a weapon at an enemy, they cannot help but reflect that their namesake would prefer they be disarmed.
A hospital ship would have been honorable and more fitting. my 2 cents
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Come on you guys. The OP was commenting on seeing and touring this magnificent ship. Keep the personnel views/politics out of it please. Thanks in advance.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:14 AM   #18
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Just can't see honoring someone who's total focus is to take away one of the highest priority rights given to all Americans by the Constitution. Every time this ships crew fires a weapon at an enemy, they cannot help but reflect that their namesake would prefer they be disarmed.
A hospital ship would have been honorable and more fitting. my 2 cents
Funny post which seems to suggest that the second amendment applies to the Navy.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #19
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDreamer View Post
I wasn't expecting my original post to stir the pot politically. I just thought the ship was a cool and futuristic design.
But I'm sure people will be miffed in equal numbers by the naming of the future USS Barack Obama and the USS Donald Trump. (Both carriers...one powered by solar, and the other by coal.)

Now that's funny. No matter what party you are.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #20

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Naming a ship, or anything else for that matter, should be reserved for people that made the ultimate sacrifice and gave their life in service to the Country, State or Town where they lived. It is an enduring and long lasting sign of respect. If you want the chance to have something named after you when you die then serve. Military, Police, Fire, something along these lines but leave the typical politician out. Let's not turn naming things into "everyone has to get a trophy."

Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote