Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Frustrations with Navionics IPad App

All,
Purchased the Navionics IPad USA app a while ago, and when opening it up yesterday, it didn't work and asked me to purchase it again, that my "trial" was up.

I didn't sign up for a trial, I purchased it and was charged for it. Apple help is about as bad as Navionics. Apple refuse to reinstate the app, give me a bunch of crap, said I had to contact the developer, and all kinds of things.... took 45 minutes, and I gave up.

Navionics doesn't answer their phone unless you wait for a LONG time, so I emailed them.

I tried Apple again this morning and after and hour and seven minutes I got a supervisor that said he'd issue a refund to which I said fine. I thought about buying it again, but decided to screw it, ain't worth the hassle.

On my last big trip (7 days) I tried to get the old C80 chart plotters data current, and with the long phone waits and the lack of quick email response, I got no where until after the trip was over, so I never got them updated.

I like the Navionics charts, but they sure are a pain to deal with. I suspect if there's no issues, they probably work fine.

I like the fact that you can do auto routing on the IPad amp, does anyone know how to download it to a chart plotter?

=====
I'd still like to buy Simrad instead of Garmin for my upgrade, but my biggest worry is product support, both from Simrad AND Navionics......

After my trip, a senior rep from Navionics called me to apologize and asked me to give them another chance (thus I bought their App). She was really nice and convincing. Are they "really" getting better or am I only wishing for better support.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
I have only the iPhone Navionics app, and have not had this kind of experience. It allows usage past the one year mark, but won't allow chart updates until more $ is paid.

Yesterday, for the first time, I tracked the aircraft I was in from Texas to NY. In airplane mode, there was plenty of detail enroute, with aircraft ground speed (520mph in this case). It occupies 938MB of phone memory. Do you see similar usage? Your problem may be a simple bit set to trial mode instead of legal copy mode.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Bummer. We have Navionics on our chart plotter and they worked as advertised. We have Garmin Blue Charts on our IPad, same thing. We got back from the Bahamas a few weeks ago and after running both, the Blue Charts had better coverage for where we were but they both worked fine.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
I have only the iPhone Navionics app, and have not had this kind of experience. It allows usage past the one year mark, but won't allow chart updates until more $ is paid.

My understanding as well... at less than $10 for an annual subscription I think it's a reasonable deal.
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Nomad
Vessel Model: Brix 42
I had so many similar issues with Navionics that I finally gave up on them and bought iSailor. Great platform and 100% trouble free.
Larmex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Have used Navionics with an iPad more than a year trouble free. Compared to other chart updates, it's a deal.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Guru

Well, I got another call from the senior rep at Navionics to be sure I was satisfied and the problem solved. I'm so impressed with that I'm going to keep the app.

I like the charts and the features, autoroute, etc.

I also like Garmin Blue Chart. Just as easy to use, but a few issues, but LOTS more info.

As for ISailor, sounds good from what people say, but can find any reason to get it, as there's just NO info on their web site or the Apple site other than very basics, and no good reviews.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
Guru

Seevee; do you see the garmin vs navionics difference with bahamas? Curious, I have the navionics US and s america with good bahamas coverage but only basic Garmin for bahamas. I'm considering the blue chart option.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Running navionics on my $100 android tablet, no problems.
I did initially have a minor issue but their help dept. had it sorted within 72 hours via email.

As for updates, I won't be to eager.
I am running 2010 cMap on the main plotter and marks have changed since then.
2017 Navionics has them the same as 2010 cMap.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Seevee; do you see the garmin vs navionics difference with bahamas? Curious, I have the navionics US and s america with good bahamas coverage but only basic Garmin for bahamas. I'm considering the blue chart option.
No, is there a comparison chart that I'm missing?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #11
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I have a few iPads on board with both Garmin Blue Chart (and home port) and navionics. After quite a few years I seem to never use the navionics and since most of our cruising is in the Bahamas the Garmin Charts are far superior.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #12

City: Florida
Vessel Model: 420AC Sea Ray
I've been using the iphone app on my ipad for several years. IT's a great backup and it's very handy on the iphone when in the Abacos.

For the $5.00 price per year, you can't beat it.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:21 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
I have a few iPads on board with both Garmin Blue Chart (and home port) and navionics. After quite a few years I seem to never use the navionics and since most of our cruising is in the Bahamas the Garmin Charts are far superior.
OK, good to know.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #14
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
DD

Garmin uses Explorer Charts which most who cruise the Bahamas out islands will say are the most accurate and best. I still have my Explorer paper charts from the '50s and '60s which are more than adequate if you know how to read the water.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #15
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
All,

Purchased the Navionics IPad USA app a while ago, and when opening it up yesterday, it didn't work and asked me to purchase it again, that my "trial" was up.

I didn't sign up for a trial, I purchased it and was charged for it. Apple help is about as bad as Navionics. Apple refuse to reinstate the app, give me a bunch of crap, said I had to contact the developer, and all kinds of things.... took 45 minutes, and I gave up.

Navionics doesn't answer their phone unless you wait for a LONG time, so I emailed them.

I tried Apple again this morning and after and hour and seven minutes I got a supervisor that said he'd issue a refund to which I said fine. I thought about buying it again, but decided to screw it, ain't worth the hassle.

On my last big trip (7 days) I tried to get the old C80 chart plotters data current, and with the long phone waits and the lack of quick email response, I got no where until after the trip was over, so I never got them updated.

I like the Navionics charts, but they sure are a pain to deal with. I suspect if there's no issues, they probably work fine.

I like the fact that you can do auto routing on the IPad amp, does anyone know how to download it to a chart plotter?

=====

I'd still like to buy Simrad instead of Garmin for my upgrade, but my biggest worry is product support, both from Simrad AND Navionics......

After my trip, a senior rep from Navionics called me to apologize and asked me to give them another chance (thus I bought their App). She was really nice and convincing. Are they "really" getting better or am I only wishing for better support.

Since you had problems with the Navionics app. And you had problems updating your Raymarine C80 one has to wonder............
Is it the electronics or is it .....
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #16

Navionics works just dandy for us. If you don't update before you use it, it may hang up.

We don't live aboard as I still work, but use the boat a fair amount. The iPad was the best choice for us when we shed the legacy electronics on out boat. A 12.9" iPad Pro runs Navionics via a Bad Elf GPS receiver, an older iPad2 runs my Furuno DRS4W radar scanner, and my iPhone runs AIS via Boat Beacon. I can take it below and run from the saloon. Setup time is less than the preheat routine for the radar. A Garmin with a similar sized display is in the $4k range...

I went this direction as we aren't sure how long we'll keep this boat, and a new owner may want a new set of electronics - and the updates are a lot less expensive. If I sold my boat tomorrow for another, I'd replicate exactly what I have now.

mike
Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Since you had problems with the Navionics app. And you had problems updating your Raymarine C80 one has to wonder............
Is it the electronics or is it .....
Probably me....
Old 06-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

No way to D/L iPad Navionics information anywhere else. Been looking...