https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...t-you-to-read/

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking...igations-find/
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
"The McCain’s steering configuration was changed five times in the roughly three minutes before the collision, according to the Navy report.

By the time the aft steering was manned and the sailor on the bridge fixed the speed issue that was forcing McCain left of track, it was too late."
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
“ low morale and disfunctional chief’s mess” tells me enough and they should feel the rath of the UCMJ.
CHIEF’S lead the way has been the tradition of the USNavy, no excuses.
MCPO Retired
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
In a foxhole the value of emotional intelligence and political correctness is yours to determine.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
“ low morale and disfunctional chief’s mess” tells me enough and they should feel the rath of the UCMJ.
MCPO Retired
The military started seriously eroding the Chief Petty Officer leadership roles back in the mid 80s....by 2000, in the USCG I saw leadership as a checklist method rather than exerience for both good midlevel O's and CPO ranks.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It's sad that we put young men and women in such situations. We talk about looking after them and our veterans but it's mostly just lip service.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
What we allow, we ultimately teach.

We have lowered the standard so far that the young sailors who have never been in battle believe this low standard is just that...the standard.

Sad
Old 01-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
What we allow, we ultimately teach.

We have lowered the standard so far that the young sailors who have never been in battle believe this low standard is just that...the standard.

Sad
It is the standard. The Navy can claim they have higher standards, but those are only on paper. These are the ones in practice. When you consistently allow a certain level of training and performance, then you've made that the de factor standard. Very sad.

Businesses do the same every day, one set of policies in writing but quite a different set in practice. The big difference is that most businesses don't deal in situations where lives are at risk.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It is the standard. The Navy can claim they have higher standards, but those are only on paper. These are the ones in practice. When you consistently allow a certain level of training and performance, then you've made that the de factor standard. Very sad.

Businesses do the same every day, one set of policies in writing but quite a different set in practice. The big difference is that most businesses don't deal in situations where lives are at risk.
I’ve noticed that with performance grading. When you are grading things you say aren’t a priority, and not grading things that you say are a priority, you’ve just changed the priorities.

I.e., we aren’t going to grade you on customer service, which is a priority, but we are going to grade you on filling out your TPS sheets, which isn’t a priority.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
There are over 400 ships in the fleet. These ships all have there own indivdual co’s and crews which do compete with other ships for excellence in there ability to wage war. They live fire there weapons, etc. The training each sailor and officer receives begins in navy school’s, the training is honed by real shipboard duty. We have all watched on tv the launching of aircraft and tomahawk missles during the gulf war’s. Yes there are indivdual ship commands that did not maintain the standards set by the rest of the fleet. The navy will releave for cause those co’s and crew members guilty of derelict, some with demotion and or brig time, some booted out with less than honorable discharges.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
...I.e., we aren’t going to grade you on customer service, which is a priority, but we are going to grade you on filling out your TPS sheets, which isn’t a priority.
I used to work in a call center where operators where rated by how long it took to handle customer complaints. A consistantly below average employee all of a sudden had the best scores..... He figured out if you just hang up on callers your average call time drops.

Metrics can be great tools, but only if used properly.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
What HiDHo said - particularly #3.

Former SCPO
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #13

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
MCPO Retired
Well put. Bravo Zulu Master Chief! DivOs, Dept Heads, XO, CO were continually knocking at the Chief's Mess door (out of respect/tradition) for their Chief's leadership. If it was not there we/they were in deep kimchi. - FCC (SW). 12 years (sea time) riding Aegis Cruisers.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:11 PM   #14
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I used to work in a call center where operators where rated by how long it took to handle customer complaints. A consistantly below average employee all of a sudden had the best scores..... He figured out if you just hang up on callers your average call time drops.

Metrics can be great tools, but only if used properly.
Kind of like Stalin's 5 year plans. You got sent to the gulag if you didn't produce 10 million pairs of boots. So you make 10 million size five boots. Done.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #15
Guru

City: Boston Area
I just came across this article that suggests the running lights on the ship the Fitz collided with may have been incorrect.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-..._source=clavis

Also this article that states the owners of the other ship will pay the US Gov't $27 (million but that its not an admission of fault)

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...ald-collision/
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Pretty damning report. Seems the US Navy is relying on software that, well, doesn't work.

https://features.propublica.org/navy...h-their-lives/
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #17
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Software is no excuse. What happened to the Mark I eyeball? What were the destroyer's officer of the deck doing? Regardless of who's fault the collision is, it should have been seen and avoided by the destroyer. If another vessel is on a collision course with you, you're not required to sit and take the hit. A navy rule of the sea - small ships stay out of the way of bigger ships.

It's been a long time since I stood navy deck watches, but it's hard to imagine a deck watch unaware of a larger ship within a mile, and on a collision course. Apparently the navy has been doing monkey see, monkey do training.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:20 PM   #18
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
Pretty damning report. Seems the US Navy is relying on software that, well, doesn't work.

https://features.propublica.org/navy...h-their-lives/
The software works as well as the 737 MAX's.
Overally complicated and not intuitive.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:40 AM   #19
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Failure to understand the "big red button" emergency transfer of control by everyone on the bridge is quite stunning.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #20
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
It's been a long time since I stood navy deck watches, but it's hard to imagine a deck watch unaware of a larger ship within a mile, and on a collision course. Apparently the navy has been doing monkey see, monkey do training.
A fine point, but they weren't on a collision course until the destroyer (unintentionally) changed course due to the (unnoticed) incorrect throttle setting.

I'm having a hard time totally blaming the crew, who seem to have been thrown into a situation they didn't have the experience or training to deal with. Yeah, I like to think I'd have done better, and they should have done better. But I've been around boats a lot longer. Some of these kids had never seen an ocean before they enlisted.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote