Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

City: Caye Caulker
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: 36' Marine Trader, D C
Using your boat

I see that alot if not most of you only use your boat occainaly, I have the opertunity to use mine all the time, this is due to retiring at a farilly young age because of a brilliant mother and wife, they both knew how to make money from money. Me personally am good at turning a $100 dollar bill into a buck and owing the tip. My fuel never gets old. Hmmm Thats a good one. NEVER LET YOUR FUEL GET OLD! Just talking,sorry. BB
belizebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
RE: Using your boat

Pour me another one too!
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
belizebill wrote:
a brilliant mother and wife, they both knew how to make money from money.
*Do you mind if I borrow them for a while?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Hospitality Officer

Using your boat

Wives and mothers aside over the last 18 months or so I have been offering 'Sarawana' as a prize at various fundraising events I am involved with.This started with our own foundation, formed to help my godson who suffered a horrible football injury and is now quadraplegic, through to other groups who have helped Ben, and as a quid pro quo we offer the boat for their own fundraisers.

The format is a prize is for 10 people consisting on a day out on the boat, with a picnic lunch/BBQ on board, drinks etc, swim off the boat, use of the dingy etc.It has been great fun, the groups we get just love the boat(which is what we owners LOVE to hear) each auction usually raises about $2,000, so far we have managed about five trips with more planned.

I give them free range of the boat, having a go at taking the helm etc, the only formalities is a quick talk about the do's and dont's regarding the marine toilets.

So the old boat so far has raised about $10,000 for some people who really do need a helping hand.

For anyonme interested in knowing a bit more about Ben have a look at the 5 minute video, there are lots of stories like his out there.Sorry Belizebill I don't mean to hijack your thread.

. .

-- Edited by Andy G on Sunday 11th of March 2012 06:08:58 PM
Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Guru

I only use my boat (live aboard cruising) in the warm months. June - mid Sept. I like cruising the PNW so that's where the boat lives. The 7 winter months I spend in the south where it's warm, in the motorhome. The 2 other months are spent catching up with friends while living at the stick and brick house. I didn't retire until I was 53, lots of others on here retired earlier than that. Like many of them, I do all my own stunts. Life is good, live it to the limit.

Ken
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

All I do is work on mine. No crusing yet, maybe one day.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44

I've been working on Mahalo nonstop for 9 months now, loving almost every moment of it. Taken a lot of day trips for lunch and one weekend in Santa Cruz. Planning on spending most of the spring and summer in southern California. But honestly, I'm a bit concerned about how much I will use her when all the projects are done. And unlike BB, I'm pretty sure Mahalo is moving retirement farther away!
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"The format is a prize is for 10 people consisting on a day out on the boat, with a picnic lunch/BBQ on board, drinks etc, swim off the boat, use of the dingy etc"

And of course you have your USCG license for the area , and the boat has its COI inspection sticker and is license3d to carry the compliment of guests and crew aboard?

And you carry commercial insurance?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

That can is certainly full of worms but only inspected vessels need a Certificate of Inspection, and you don't have to be "inspected" in order to be an "Uninspected Passenger Vessel."

Insurance is most likely the big issue. Considering the CFRs require a special permit for a legitimate charter operator to perform that type of activity, there is the chance a CG investigator might get curious.

46 CFR 26.03-6 - Special permit
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40

Quote:
RickB wrote:
That can is certainly full of worms but only inspected vessels need a Certificate of Inspection, and you don't have to be "inspected" in order to be an "Uninspected Passenger Vessel."

Insurance is most likely the big issue. Considering the CFRs require a special permit for a legitimate charter operator to perform that type of activity, there is the chance a CG investigator might get curious.

46 CFR 26.03-6 - Special permit
*Good find....never came across this one...here it is for the curious or interested..
<h5>§ 26.03-6 Special permit.</h5>

(a) If the owner, operator, or agent donates the use of an uninspected passenger vessel to a charity for fundraising activities, and the vessel's activity would subject it to Coast Guard inspection, the OCMI may issue a special permit to the owner, operator, or agent for this purpose if, in the opinion of the OCMI, the vessel can be safely operated. Each special permit is valid for only one voyage of a donated vessel, which is used for a charitable purpose. Applications are considered and approved on a case-by-case basis.

(b) The criteria of §176.204 of this chapter will apply to the issuance of a special permit. In addition, the owner, operator, or agent must meet each of these conditions

(1) Any charity using a donated vessel must be a bona fide charity or a non-profit organization qualified under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

(2) All donations received from the fundraising must go to the named charity;

(3) The owner, operator, or agent may obtain a special permit for an individual vessel not more than four times in a 12-month period; and

(4) The owner, operator, or agent must apply to the local OCMI for a special permit prior to the intended voyage, allowing adequate time for processing and approval of the permit.

(c) Nothing in this part may be construed as limiting the OCMI from making such tests and inspections, both afloat and in dry-dock, that are reasonable and practicable to be assured of the vessel's seaworthiness and safety.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Just one small but important point, Andy G is in NSW Australia, not the US, and the 'unofficial' prize for winning the auction, the proceeds of which are going to a charity, is a day out on the boat like one might take any group of friends - they are not chartering or paying for the vessel in any formal way. However, as part of his insurance cover he would have several million dollars cover for any third party risks involved I would think. I know I have to here in Queensland.
No doubt Andy will clarify the issue when he returns to the thread.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Andy I will have to look at your video about your godson Ben.* My BIL does the same thing with donating boat trips to charity auctions for things his wife and daughters are involved with.**I don't think anyone involved thinks of it as a "charter."* Often times the winner never schedules the trip.*

We are on the boat most every weekend and actually go somewhere on it at least once a month.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Hospitality Officer

Peter is right, in 'Oz' I think we are not quite so regulated as the 'States' in regard to compliance issues.We have the standard third party insurance cover, about $10 million I think. As long as the vessel is not being used for hire the insurance company is quite happy with what we are doing. Obviously we have to comply with the passenger rating of the vessel, which is 14 people and have adequate lifejackets etc.

The monetry aspect of the venture is down to the individual organising committee. We supply the boat, food and some drinks.I don't provide alcohol as part of the prize, as that may be a grey area, but tell them to bring what they would like as we have plenty of refridgeration on board.

We don't use the boat as much as I would like so it is pleasing to see Sarawana out there being useful, so to speak.The only cloud on the horizon is that Sarawana and I might have to part company soon, which would be a pity.Still while I have her we will continue to do what we can.

Jennifer, do check out Ben's video, he's a great kid.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Using your boat

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
Andy I will have to look at your video about your godson Ben.* My BIL does the same thing with donating boat trips to charity auctions for things his wife and daughters are involved with.**I don't think anyone involved thinks of it as a "charter."* Often times the winner never schedules the trip.*

We are on the boat most every weekend and actually go somewhere on it at least once a month.*
*No one but the USCG maybe...would hate to lose my boat over it.... although I think it's a little harsh relating it to a charter.* The good news is the "special permit" seems to streamline the kind offer to charity.

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 12th of March 2012 04:10:58 PM
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

We recenly spent 58 days on Polly P.* I spent a*lot of money on the boat and getting her ready, so I intend to spend as much time on board as possible!

I'm not even close to being retired.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote