Using Spring Lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes things work like a charm till they don't...then you wish someone told you so.

I would NEVER use #2...no reason to...there are better spring solutions without the downside of 2....like #3. Change the current/wind direction, then I can agree #2 is usable without the overriding risk.

If that's being a naysayer so be it...others seem to agree.

I agree that example 3 is the way I would do it. A little ahead power of the stbd engine on a twin or hard left rudder on a single would kick the stern out. Then power back into the wind or current gives better control.

I used #1 on our sailboats. Easy to do single-handed by wrapping the line around a winch so you be at the helm and also pay the line out in a controlled fashion.

The only problem I've had is at docks where neighboring boats extend beyond the end of the finger piers.

I've also used #3 on our sailboats. On our current boat I've got the problem of a sharply flared bow. I haven't found a good way to position and manage a fender there from the boat.

I worked on a 90ft steel hull pelagic longline boat and most of time we would use spring lines,now docking or pulling away from dock I always spring her,works to good not to,specially docking single handed I always go for forward spring first

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom