Using Net AIS Buoys Illegal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A questionable decision. I had never heard of these devices until late June when I encountered them on a set of halibut longlines at twilight in the Gulf of Alaska. Once I figured out what they were, I was damn glad to see them.

The FCCs job is to secure the integrity of the spectrum, and they are properly vigilant, but the potential safety benefit is large and i would hope they are working on a better solution than: "NO."

The problem is, if multiplied unchecked, it would destroy the AIS system. Marking fishing equipment is a good idea, and maybe even using the AIS system to do it - but not uncontrolled.

Well we can't seem to get fisherman to use bright colored buoys with a flag on their crab pots string, what makes you think they will spend the money for an AIS buoy? The natives/Indians are using black buoys for their pots........

I can’t figure out why anyone would use dark colored bouys. I would think they would want boaters to see the bouys before they ran them down and cut the lines. But many bouys are an almost unseeable dark colors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom