Using the mast/staysail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
My plan is to move upstream from my Albin 25 to a more full-bodied trawler like the MT34 or similar, something I can actually spend unlimited time on if I can ever get a handle on retirement. I am well past my best-before date!

I've been poring over the Lehman 120 manual, getting immersed in imagining the maintenance routines, imagining life with a proper galley and fly bridge, double bed, indoor shower, and other luxuries. One aspect of the trawler experience continues to elude my winter imaginary adventures: what conditions dictate the use of the stay sail, and how is it employed to best advantage?

Does it help with rolling at anchor, for example?

Greetings,
Mr. S. I flew a "sail" on our MT 34' a few times. Never while at anchor. It seemed to mitigate the roll in a beam to following sea. I think it was really too small to make much difference (about 24 sq. feet, if I recall).

No end of amusement when attempting to claim right of way with the group we used to boat with. In MY case, way more trouble than it was worth.

I think these are more commonly referred to as a "riding sail" or an "anchoring sail." I have one on my Grand Banks 32. I have used it a few time at anchor to reduce the boat's tendency to "sail" around the anchor. Basically, it has had little effect on my boat. In a 15 knot wind, it reduced the arc of the boat's motion from maybe 90 degrees to maybe 50 or 60 degrees. I decided it is not worth the effort. I have heard they are sometimes used to reduce rolling while driving in a beam sea, but don't have any personal experience with this. I have decided I just have a motorboat, and don't bother with the sail any more!
Oldersalt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom