Old 07-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #61
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Household toilets are great if you have an unlimited water supply and a treatment device...or a huge holding tank. I have neither so I designed a system that works for me and my boat....each boat is a bit different and used differently, so one system doesn't necessarily have to fit all.

What is hard for some or for them to understand isn't necessarily hard for others.
I cannot recommend a househole toilet to substitute for a marine toilet. The marine toilets that I am familiar with macerate the waste in some manner including those manual jobs. I can just visualize a large gun boat snaking its way to a holding tank

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:45 PM   #62
Guru

My experience with PVC waste lines! I have used PVC pipe now for over 30 years without problems. First in my 30' Hunter sailboat and 10 years now in my Silverton 40 which eliminated all stench.

Something for others to consider if they venture into PVC is how to make 90 corners because PVC fittings are not as mechanically robust as is the pipe. I used PVC sweeps normally used for electrical wiring. Sure, they are not allowed by the plumbing code but who cares, boats are not in the plumbing code either. The beauty of electrical sweeps is they avoid sharp corners that a PVC elbow will introduce even with twin 45's to make a 90 turn.

Just thought I would share my experience so take it as you wish.

Foggy

Old 07-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #63
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
A Raritan Marine Elegance it will probably be, if I give up on household units.

Are you familiar with the Headhunter Bravo toilet? Uses some different technology that they don't quite explain, but they have a video of it flushing/macerating panty hose and keys.
If you can improve on a RARITAN ELEGANCE please share the info. EXCELLENT USA made product.
David Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #64
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Why Frankenstein a pvc system together with electrical sweeps when pvc dwv fittings are readily available?

http://m.lowes.com/pl/PVC-dwv-fittin...ing/4294765362

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #65
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Why Frankenstein a pvc system together with electrical sweeps when pvc dwv fittings are readily available?

Shop PVC DWV Fittings at Lowes.com
Used one of these on my master head...works good, lasts long time....
Attached Images

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #66

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kimmel View Post
If you can improve on a RARITAN ELEGANCE please share the info. EXCELLENT USA made product.
Well, I won't know for sure until the OP installs some Flushmates, and reports.

But I must caution you about seeking advice from me, about anything.

I'm certainly going to leave advice about marine toilets to Peggie (whose name I have been spelling wrong, apologies).
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Shop PVC DWV Fittings at Lowes.com
FOR A LOT OF REASONS!! The mechanical strength of elbows, Ts, Ys and other PVC fittings is the weak link in a PVC pipe system. This was discussed in numerous posts in the Cruiser's forum especially by Sailor Girl, a technical poster at that web site.

Next an electrical sweep has a larger bend radius that lessens flow resistance around corners. Further the sweeps are made with grade 40 PVC which has high mechanical strength.

But hey--- do as you wish, maybe in your case you should stick with hoses.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #68
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Using household plumbing on a boat

I'll take my 30+ years hands on experience to your "read about it somewhere" any day.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:33 PM   #69
Guru

If properly supported, a non or low pressure system doesn't exactly need high strength anything.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #70
Guru

Peggy Hall hit it right on the head in post #25 of this thread:

"But EVERYTHING on a boat is a component in a system..and anything done (or wasn't done that should have been) to ANY component in any system impacts the entire system. Away from the dock, a boat is totally reliant it's own systems...The boat's electrical systems provide the power...the boat's fresh water system provides all the water. The toilet is a component in a system that may or may not need both, or may use a pump--integral or external--to bring in the water it needs. And toilet waste management is a part of that system. "

So consider that PVC piping is designed for building applications and not boats, there should be no hesitation to use the best of PVC whether it originated in a building's plumbing or electrical systems. And yes indeed, a properly supported non or low pressure system may not require some usage of high strength components ALTHOUGH the addition of those higher strength components will enhance a system's ability to withstand shock and vibration.

My 35+ years of boat experience gave proof that manufacturers often put mechanical support of anything last in their product design. Now of course my experience was not in $500K+ boats but rather in the budget boats that most of us relate to. The point is that even a modification of a Pride and Joy will most likely lack so called "properly supported" anything.

So to each his own as witnessed by the many who will replace stinky hoses with new hoses that eventually be stinky hoses. The many will not even consider PVC pipes never mind durable elbows.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #71
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Well after long deliberation I've decided to go with household toilets. Found a great grinder pump that comes pre installed in a 40 gallon poly tank for $450. Founds some home cheepo duel flush toilets for a hundi a piece and I am fixen to be off to the races. All the misspellings were on purpose due to the route I decided to take.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #72
Guru

Many commercial vessels because of their size run standard household plumbing ....some have modified figures while others don't bother.

Had to compare the average 30 footer and it's requirements to a 60 footer.

Layout is everything...it may be a very simple design...but it could get complex depending on distances and deck levels.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #73

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
I think you will find that the household toilets use lot lot more water. Your holding tank will fill in just a few days.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #74
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
I think you will find that the household toilets use lot lot more water. Your holding tank will fill in just a few days.
Ah yes, but here in the driest continent on earth we have ways around that - like bricks in the cistern to reduce the volume back in the old days when the volume was not adjustable. Modern loos you can just turn a thingamy and reduce the flush volume anyway.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #75
Guru

Using household plumbing on a boat

40 flushes, probably right, few days. 1 hp grinder pump. I'll try to attach a video
https://youtu.be/qEI8OSxHMx0
How long do people generally haul the holding tank before dumping overboard?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #76

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Well after long deliberation I've decided to go with household toilets. Found a great grinder pump that comes pre installed in a 40 gallon poly tank for $450. Founds some home cheepo duel flush toilets for a hundi a piece and I am fixen to be off to the races. All the misspellings were on purpose due to the route I decided to take.
Dude, I am really very proud of you!
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #77
Guru

I figured you would like the news
Old 03-15-2017, 08:23 AM   #78
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
How long do people generally haul the holding tank before dumping overboard?

Can't dump overboard, here.

Ideally until the tank is about 2/3rds full... then we pump out. Sometimes we miss that target and fill it more before pump-out...

-Chris
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #79
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I bet Peggie isn't familiar with Sloan and Zurn but every guy on this forum is.

The reason is urinals. Guys standing in front of a urinal have nothing better to do than read the top of the flush valve.

Anybody memorized the patent number of the Sloan Royal yet?
Lol.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:01 AM   #80
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
PEX is great for fresh water lines. That's what boat manufacturers are using in most new boats. It's been around long enough to be tested. My year 2000 boat uses PEX and it's trouble free.

A household toilet in a boat is not a good idea. Think about it; if a household toilet worked well on boats, that's what the manufacturers would be using, not more expensive marine toilets.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote