Using A Drone On The Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oops,that didn't work, try this:http://youtu.be/HpxM8-5YJv8

No, the physical location it registers via GPS when it takes off.

I haven't used it yet so I don't know if it returns to that GPS location and hovers or lands.
If launched from the foredeck I hope it hovers given movement at anchorage!

Will know more after this weekend. :)

Greetings,
Mr. M. "...given movement at anchorage!". Yup, considering the investment, close probably isn't good enough.

giphy.gif

Even if it does hover, if it hovers at 3 or 4 feet I could have an issue if the boat swings towards it before I raise it again!

Ah, challenges, but fun none the less!

Interesting how 6-12 months ago drones were hated as much as PWCs. Now, the tide seems to be starting to turn.

When do we got to the stage where it turns into the single/twins, which anchor, slanted windows, flybridge/no flybridge type arguments? :popcorn:

Interesting how 6-12 months ago drones were hated as much as PWCs. Now, the tide seems to be starting to turn.

Proliferation doesn't necessarily diminish hatred and may just increase it .

It could also ratchet up the basement Marconi's work on jammers.

I think people are starting to see the value - especially for things like SAR, sending into dangerous situations first before humans, and commercial activity like Real Estate, building inspections, construction, and even delivering packages.

Even though they have gotten quieter the noise can still be annoying, like a garden strimmer. Which is why I will be careful where and when I use it.

[edit: more like a slow electric strimmer, not the gas one! :) )

Last edited:
Another tip I'll pass on, Menzies, (since you indicated that you are just learning all the ins and outs of it). Practice catching it with your hand. Easy peasy, but takes a bit of practice. The little buggers tend to have a tendency to tip over when they land, and there goes a prop (possibly).

Another tip I'll pass on, Menzies, (since you indicated that you are just learning all the ins and outs of it). Practice catching it with your hand. Easy peasy, but takes a bit of practice. The little buggers tend to have a tendency to tip over when they land, and there goes a prop (possibly).

I had to do that the other night when I had the brilliant notion to fly it in the house. While they say it can be flown indoors I think they mean in gyms, or larger halls. I think it's own draft was sending it crazy in a small space. The final straw was went it went over a piece of furniture that has framed family photos and the prop wash sent them flying. I had to quickly grab it.

Next day my wife posted the following on her Facebook: "Who would have ever thought that I would have to say to him: Please do not fly your drone in the house, you are going to break something!" :)

I had to do that the other night when I had the brilliant notion to fly it in the house.

Whoa! Daring! :)

I'll just post the technique for catching by hand, since someone else who has not tried it may find it useful.

1. Buy a neckstrap for the controller. Amazon (and others) sells them, and you need two hands free for the landing. And you do NOT want someone else handling the controller for you during the landing.

2. Bring the bird down and hover it about 10 feet off the ground (or wherever you are standing -- deck, whatever).

3. Stand so that as the bird comes toward you, it will be coming into the wind,

4. Slowly bring it toward you, about three feet above your head.

5. When it is hovering just right in front of you (and above), then use the left hand on the controller to slowly, slowly bring it down, while reaching up with the right hand and catching one of the legs.

6. Use left hand to shut off the power by just continuing to bring it down (even though it cannot move)

It all comes down to this.

Everyone should have the right to enjoy piloting a drone, so long as they don't infringe on the rights of others.

The issue are the grey areas. Just two for now.

Do people have the right to silence from a buzzing drone. If so do they have the right to silence from lawnmowers and weed whackers and RC cars and boats (especially at Christmas)?

Jet skis anyone?

Does a drone flying down the street with the possibility of capturing a scene inside your home through a window violate your rights? Even if that same scene can be seen by a person walking down the street, or a boat passing the rear of your house (fly bridges seem to about the right height for second floors!).

As with everything, compromise and good communication is key.

I have a friend who has come across the ideal solution for dealing with an unwanted drone. The last time I talked to him he'd brought down about four of them that had come buzzing around over his property (not all at the same time).

He uses a large slingshot and a load of loose BBs. No noise, the BBs don't travel far once the initial burst of launch energy is played out, and it has the same effect as a small shotgun. When the drone hits the ground he walks over and drops a cinder block on it and then tosses it into his trash can.

I asked him what about the camera he said he simply waits until it's pointing away from him. He said the owners have come around looking for their machines and he just tells them he hasn't seen them.

We've not had any issues with drones in our neighborhood and we've not encountered them when we've been out on the boat. So we've so far had no motivation to think about what to do about them and perhaps never will. I have no problem with them unless the owners fly them inconsiderately.

But I do like the idea of the powerful slingshot.

Last edited:
I was anchored on the York River last year on the Chessie and was buzzed by a drone. I didn't find it intrusive or annoying but it lasted maybe 30 seconds and got no closer than 50 yards.

Technology has almost eliminated privacy and hasn't the Supreme Court ruled that a person in public can expect no more privacy from camera's and listening devices than that person would expect normally in a public setting.

I think the greater danger from drones is the risk of loss of control and the damage and injury that results. Technology will probably eliminate that too, but in the mean time the FAA limits flights to a max altitude of 400', line of sight, and day VFR.

If I ever have a chance to film other boats in an anchorage I would ask permission especially if I intended to fly close enough to cause them concern. Of course you run the risk of being denied permission, but offering them a copy of the video may encourage their cooperation.

"Everyone should have the right to enjoy piloting a drone, so long as they don't infringe on the rights of others."

This is the Libertarian concept , your right to swing your fist , stops before my face.

So what do we do with the more obnoxious Harley folks with megaphone exhaust that carry for miles?

There is now special anti drone ammo.

Can we use it on the creeps that think a big sound means a big weenie!

I have a friend who has come across the ideal solution for dealing with an unwanted drone. The last time I talked to him he'd brought down about four of them that had come buzzing around over his property (not all at the same time).

He uses a large slingshot and a load of loose BBs. No noise, the BBs don't travel far once the initial burst of launch energy is played out, and it has the same effect as a small shotgun. When the drone hits the ground he walks over and drops a cinder block on it and then tosses it into his trash can.

I asked him what about the camera he said he simply waits until it's pointing away from him. He said the owners have come around looking for their machines and he just tells them he hasn't seen them.

We've not had any issues with drones in our neighborhood and we've not encountered them when we've been out on the boat. So we've so far had no motivation to think about what to do about them and perhaps never will. I have no problem with them unless the owners fly them inconsiderately.

But I do like the idea of the powerful slingshot.

I very much doubt his story.

First, the odds of him having four drones come by while he is there are pretty small - contrary what many think, they just aren't that numerous. So if you consider the four he hit, the ones that came by when he wasn't there, unless he is by a AMA park, this probably never happened.

Secondly, if he uses a load of loose BBs, some will fly past the craft and be videoed. So now you have an owner of a very expensive piece of equipment with footage of exactly where the craft was, that it was shot by BBs, and the direction the BBs came from.

He also would have run the risk of not hitting the craft or not hitting anything that would bring it down and then being videoed.

Waiting until the camera is pointing away from him would take great eyesight and timing given where they are located and speed by which they gimbal. Plus on its way down the craft would spin around anyway and see him

Likliehood of this having happened is very very small IMHO.

"Everyone should have the right to enjoy piloting a drone, so long as they don't infringe on the rights of others."

This is the Libertarian concept , your right to swing your fist , stops before my face.

So what do we do with the more obnoxious Harley folks with megaphone exhaust that carry for miles?

There is now special anti drone ammo.

Not being a biker (maybe someone who is can validate this) but I have been told that they do that as a safety measure. So that people, even inside cars, are better aware of their presence.

Though I agree, some seem to go way over the top.

I very much doubt his story.

No, it's true. As i said, the drones did not come by at the same time. This was over the course of several months. Also, a camera, particularly the GoPros in most drones with their super-wide angle lenses, will not see something as small and fast as a BB flying through the air even if it goes right past the lens. We use GoPros as well as $100,000 4K HD cameras in our work and none of them can see things like that. Our high speed instrumentation cameras could if the BBs were close enough.

The reason he shot them down was because they were upsetting his horses. The operators were coming in low to follow his horses around. In one case the operator used the drone to first scare a horse and then chase it around. He would have simply shot the drones out of the air with a shotgun but he did not want the shot carrying over onto his neighbors' properties, who also have livestock. So he came up with the slingshot idea.

It's not a slingshot like kids used to have. It's large, metal, with multiple bands powering the sling and the "pocket" can hold a fair number of BBs or birdshot. He got it to use on rodents and thought he'd try it when the drones started showing up.

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt it, heck last week I shot down two myself. Damn drones around here are thicker than flies on a dairy farm.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to get back outside, only came in for more ammo.

Or big wake?
Big dogs?
Big anything that doesn't suit us?

And the mantra that "loud pipes save lives" is just crap. Period.
No amount of noise is going to get the attention of dunces. Ask any first responder.

Most bike accidents, and deaths, are caused by oncoming cars turning left in front of them.

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard. Found it on a flash sale for $399. Since it'll end up in the water sooner or later, this price point is attractive.

My first flight was on Sunday, and I took it out on the boat yesterday. Really easy to fly, amazing gimbal, decent photo quality—all in all, I'm super impressed with DJI and the value this drone offers. I haven't even read the manual yet, so I'm sure there are way more capabilities that I will figure out about later.

Pictures from my first attempt at flying the drone while underway are attached.

The few times other people have noticed me flying it, they've been intrigued and wanted aerial pictures of their boat/property/marina/etc.

Attachments

• DJI_0149.jpg
    DJI_0149.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 91
  • DJI_0170.jpg
    DJI_0170.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DJI_0184.jpg
    DJI_0184.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 85
Just an FYI, all unmanned aircraft must be registered with the FAA. For recreational use, it costs $5 and can be done online in about 5 minutes. We use one for work. I have it registered under my name until the FAA comes up with the process to register them for Government Use.

Just an FYI, all unmanned aircraft must be registered with the FAA. For recreational use, it costs $5 and can be done online in about 5 minutes. We use one for work. I have it registered under my name until the FAA comes up with the process to register them for Government Use.

Yep, the process was super easy. It seemed more like an acknowledgement of the drone flying rules than anything else.

yes pretty much, and to get your $5 of course! Also the # that is placed on the drone, links back to the operator, just in case you feel the need to buzz around any Federal Government buildings etc :).

I just got a Phantom 3 Standard. Found it on a flash sale for $399. Since it'll end up in the water sooner or later, this price point is attractive.

My first flight was on Sunday, and I took it out on the boat yesterday. Really easy to fly, amazing gimbal, decent photo quality—all in all, I'm super impressed with DJI and the value this drone offers. I haven't even read the manual yet, so I'm sure there are way more capabilities that I will figure out about later.

Pictures from my first attempt at flying the drone while underway are attached.

The few times other people have noticed me flying it, they've been intrigued and wanted aerial pictures of their boat/property/marina/etc.

Those are great pictures. Boy, do I wish these things were available and as good as they are today back when we were cruising full time. So many times when a standard camera, video or still, just couldn't capture the whole experience.

I can't wait until I get the new boat back from the yard and start using the drone while underway and at anchorage.
I especially want to learn how the "follow me" function works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom