Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Here's a very well done drone movie of our lake and marina on the Missouri River. He's got one of those high end Phantom drones too. He does a nice editing job.

https://youtu.be/w63xdIx9C50

Superb job right there. Wonder if he needed permission to overfly Gavins Point Dam or did he just do it anyway? Nice mix of video and jpg stills from the camera.

I probably need to go buy myself some better quality editing software rather than using freeware. Especially now since I upgraded to Windows 10 and Movie Maker is no longer supported.

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

Superb job right there. Wonder if he needed permission to overfly Gavins Point Dam or did he just do it anyway?
I wondered the same thing - I should ask the next time I see him. They get very paranoid around the dam, they act like it's a nuclear missile silo.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #23
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
A sales rep showed me a strange camera today. It films 360 degree images. It is small enough to mount under a drone. You view the image on a smart phone or pad. There are several ways to view the images, I'll try to describe the one that blew me away. You mount your smart phone in a goggles like device. The phone displays two images but looking through the goggles you see a single 3D image.
So I'm standing in the middle of my office watching the front wheel of a mountain bike screaming down a very steep hill. I can look right and left to see the suroundings. I turn around and I'm looking at the guy who is riding the bike. Very strange experience.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:20 AM   #24
Guru

There are many FPV (First Person View) goggles available for RC Flying, but not cheap. Starting around ~$400 and going as high as you want. Most of them are 2D 360 degrees though. I can't imagine what 3D would cost. Not even sure how a single camera RC wold be able to send back two separate images - it would probably need multiple.

The Phantom sends wireless video back to the controller into which you plug a mobile IOS or Android device and you can watch your video in real time. The FAA do not recommend goggles as they want pilots to maintain visual on the aircraft at all times so that they can see what else is in the vicinity - like other aircraft, people, etc.

Still early on in understanding this game/hobby!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #25
Guru

I got a Parrot Bebop drone last month. This is I believe the best selling drone made so far. At $500 with a fixed camera it's a pretty good price. To save money the controller is your cell phone or tablet which shows the image from the camera on the mobile device (FPV or first person view). The mobile device connects to the drone via WiFi and you tilt your connected mobile device to move the drone fwd or backward with separate controls on the mobile screen for up/down and to rotate the drone.

This all sounds good but in reality there is no way I would try to film my boat over water. It takes way to much practice and experience to get to that level with this drone. The camera is fixed so you must move the drone to point the camera. This really isn't a problem as the camera lens is pretty much wide angle. The problem I have is controlling the drone with the tablet is awkward and the image is just not bright enough. However the drone records the image from the camera and stores it for download later. Once downloaded the image is pretty good when viewed on the computer.

A drone like the OP has with a Go Pro camera will set you back about 2G's. But that's probably what it takes to get good pics.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:30 AM   #26
Guru

Tim, I believe the set up I won retails for ~$1300. Of course I had to buy a tablet to attach to the controller. And yesterday I had to buy better video editing software as well. Not an inexpensive hobby.

What I like about the Phantom are the gimbals, GPS, and safety features. You can control the takeoff or landing yourself or do it automatically by pushing a button on the tablet screen. If you feel you are in trouble at any time just let go of the control sticks and the craft will hover right where it is, given you time to sort yourself out.
It also records it's home location so if it gets to a certain battery level or loses wi-fi connection with the controller it returns automatically. There is also a Home button on the controller where you can bring it home at any time. I need to play some with that last feature as I don't believe it currently has structure avoidance - so if home is a straight line I would be worried about trees etc.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #27
Guru

At the price you mentioned that is a much better deal. Controlling my drone by my tablet is just very difficult. Your first flight was much better than mine.
The Bebop drone also has auto level and hover just like yours and will return to the tablet location automatically. Also has auto takeoff to a 4' hover and auto land.
But being controlled by WiFi it has a I believe 2000' range probably less, and will warn you when the WiFi signal is weak. Will also warn you when the battery is low.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
Guru

Here's a clip of my most ambitious flight to date.
Attached Files
Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
It also records it's home location so if it gets to a certain battery level or loses wi-fi connection with the controller it returns automatically.
Where is home?
The controller?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #30
Guru

Oops,that didn't work, try this:http://youtu.be/HpxM8-5YJv8
Old 09-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
No, the physical location it registers via GPS when it takes off.

I haven't used it yet so I don't know if it returns to that GPS location and hovers or lands.
If launched from the foredeck I hope it hovers given movement at anchorage!

Will know more after this weekend.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
There you go! I too have to work out how to fly and land without getting myself in the shot!!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
If launched from the foredeck I hope it hovers given movement at anchorage!
Haha...that's why I asked.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. M. "...given movement at anchorage!". Yup, considering the investment, close probably isn't good enough.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #35
Guru

Even if it does hover, if it hovers at 3 or 4 feet I could have an issue if the boat swings towards it before I raise it again!

Ah, challenges, but fun none the less!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #36
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Interesting how 6-12 months ago drones were hated as much as PWCs. Now, the tide seems to be starting to turn.

When do we got to the stage where it turns into the single/twins, which anchor, slanted windows, flybridge/no flybridge type arguments?
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Interesting how 6-12 months ago drones were hated as much as PWCs. Now, the tide seems to be starting to turn.
Proliferation doesn't necessarily diminish hatred and may just increase it .

It could also ratchet up the basement Marconi's work on jammers.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #38
Guru

I think people are starting to see the value - especially for things like SAR, sending into dangerous situations first before humans, and commercial activity like Real Estate, building inspections, construction, and even delivering packages.

Even though they have gotten quieter the noise can still be annoying, like a garden strimmer. Which is why I will be careful where and when I use it.

[edit: more like a slow electric strimmer, not the gas one! )
Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Another tip I'll pass on, Menzies, (since you indicated that you are just learning all the ins and outs of it). Practice catching it with your hand. Easy peasy, but takes a bit of practice. The little buggers tend to have a tendency to tip over when they land, and there goes a prop (possibly).
Old 09-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Another tip I'll pass on, Menzies, (since you indicated that you are just learning all the ins and outs of it). Practice catching it with your hand. Easy peasy, but takes a bit of practice. The little buggers tend to have a tendency to tip over when they land, and there goes a prop (possibly).
I had to do that the other night when I had the brilliant notion to fly it in the house. While they say it can be flown indoors I think they mean in gyms, or larger halls. I think it's own draft was sending it crazy in a small space. The final straw was went it went over a piece of furniture that has framed family photos and the prop wash sent them flying. I had to quickly grab it.

Next day my wife posted the following on her Facebook: "Who would have ever thought that I would have to say to him: Please do not fly your drone in the house, you are going to break something!"