Using Dow Corning 795

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ransom

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cocoa Beach
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Tradewinds 43'
If any one has used the Dow Corning 795 caulk adhesive to install new polycarbonate panels to a hatch - can you tell me if the excess adhesive, after the initial bonding to the frame - will the 795 'release' from the surface of the exposed polished surface? I am using the stuff for the first time, and unsure of how it reacts to the PalSun Polycarbonate glass. There are three cross members to the hatch, and I just want to know, after putting a sufficient Bead of caulk on all bonding surfaces, that the excess(after curing), can be easily removed.

If any one has used the Dow Corning 795 caulk adhesive to install new polycarbonate panels to a hatch - can you tell me if the excess adhesive, after the initial bonding to the frame - will the 795 'release' from the surface of the exposed polished surface? I am using the stuff for the first time, and unsure of how it reacts to the PalSun Polycarbonate glass. There are three cross members to the hatch, and I just want to know, after putting a sufficient Bead of caulk on all bonding surfaces, that the excess(after curing), can be easily removed.
Can't answer your question. However if you mask with painters tape, both sides adjacent to the bead, you should be able to cut the bead as you pull up the tape to yield a clean edge.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. R. Oh dear. You've hit upon one of MY major dislikes-silicone caulk/adhesive. IF you insist on using this devil's glue, don't expect to ever be able to paint or varnish anywhere in proximity to it.
I would strongly advise to use almost anything else. I have had good results from LEXEL. Lexel® by Sashco - Silicone Caulk Alternative
Mr. OC's suggesting of masking is good.

Greetings,
Mr. R. Oh dear. You've hit upon one of MY major dislikes-silicone caulk/adhesive. IF you insist on using this devil's glue, don't expect to ever be able to paint or varnish anywhere in proximity to it.
I would strongly advise to use almost anything else. I have had good results from LEXEL. Lexel® by Sashco - Silicone Caulk Alternative
Mr. OC's suggesting of masking is good.

I use the Loctite S30 polyurethane for lots of sealing including my forward windows, and Lexan hatch into a wood frame and paints easily.
$5 a tube at HDepot

Loctite PL S30 Polyurethane Roof & Flashing Sealant from Loctite Adhesives

Actually this is the only caulk that has kept the Lexan hatch window sealed in it's frame. I tried lots but refused to use silicone which might have worked on the boat. The S30 is a soft yielding stretchy rubber seal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom