Used Oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 37hp boat engine dosn’t produce much used oil. Most of my oil oil comes from my cars and PU and Suburban. Have two 5gal buckets and periodically take them to the waste site. No problem.

Oil is not in short supply. Peak oil a now proven myth. One can always state oil is short term finite, as did Jimmy Carter, but the oil geologists well know otherwise.
Tom, when I suggested the value of the OP`s oil might increase I was thinking of more immediate possible difficulties transporting oil from middle eastern sources rather than "peak oil",while trying to avoid politics and upset the Mods.

Oklahoma and Pennsylvania were each considered to the oil capitols of the world at times. Peak oil seems real in that context. Can I sell you some oil wells in either place?

Dumping used oil into the main engine diesel tanks

I used to do dump a few gallons of used oil into my tanks (640 gallon total boat capacity) once in a while to feed the twin Lehman 120s thinking it couldn't hurt the Simms injector pumps. Maybe, maybe not. It was not a regular practice by any means. I would not do it to the high speed Yanmar 6LPA I have now, and the instruction which came with my Floscan said it is a no-no for that instrument.

About 60 miles to the West of you is Gillis Auto Center in Shelton.
That shop used to heat the service bays with a used oil heater.
https://www.gillisautocenter.com/dealership-map

It might be worth a call if you can transport or can make arrangements.

I used to do dump a few gallons of used oil into my tanks (640 gallon total boat capacity) once in a while to feed the twin Lehman 120s thinking it couldn't hurt the Simms injector pumps. Maybe, maybe not. It was not a regular practice by any means. I would not do it to the high speed Yanmar 6LPA I have now, and the instruction which came with my Floscan said it is a no-no for that instrument.

I’m sorry I got to this thread late. I too dumped my used oil into our fuel tanks when there was no convenient recycling. 1000 gallon fuel tanks feeding a Cummings 504 with mechanical injectors, no turbo. Never noticed a difference.

In the 60’s I put 12 gallons of outboard gas mixed 24-1 at a time (not often) into the fuel tank of my 53 Chevrolet convertible for fun in the sun when I was in SanDiego Ca for fun in the sun when I had no gas money. Took it off the boat’s OB tanks. No smoke, no plug fouling or any other evil. Did it many times.
I was a sailor in the Navy and between paydays when I did that.

Last edited:
Have you tried your local truck stop. They would probably take it. They use used oil to heat their shops

"The driver of the tanker was uninjured in the crash, but was arrested for DUI."

Oh snap!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom