Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 120
Used boat presentations

I am in the market for a used trawler-----------5 of 6 boats I have looked at in past 6 weeks were dirty with stuff strewn about! Obviously these owners are lazy and poor boat keepers. Draw your own conclusions about their chances of a sale.
__________________
Advertisement

geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: East Greenwich, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,076
Why don't you look beyond the dirt and junk and see what the underlying boat looks like and make an offer accordingly. I understand the "wife ready" syndrome. Mine can't look beyond that stuff.

David
__________________

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 120
This is "why,"

Because I do not want a boat formerly owned by a lazy slob--and if they indicate such on a boats surface you can bet there is a disaster below the surface.
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Guru
 
alormaria's Avatar
 
City: Trenton
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 942
In chaos lies opportunity!
__________________
Al Johnson
34' Marine Trader
"Angelina"
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,211
Greetings,
Mr. g. I feel your pain, brother. Pretty well along the same lines as "ready to go" or "needs little work". MY pet peeve is a listing with no ER pictures. I consider the condition of the ER to be a pretty good indication of the overall condition of the vessel (rightly or wrongly without further research).

Prior to the purchase of our current vessel we had one of her sister ships surveyed. We went so far as to get a survey because, on the surface, she looked pretty good. Well, the outcome of the survey brings the phrases "Lipstick on a pig" and "Sh*t and shinolla" immediately to mind. BEST $$ we've spent on boating in a long time.

Rest assured, YOUR boat is out there. Patience my friend, patience...

__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #6
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Because I do not want a boat formerly owned by a lazy slob--and if they indicate such on a boats surface you can bet there is a disaster below the surface.
While that is true sometimes there can be many reasons why the boat has reached this situation. Please consider scrutinizing the important aspects of the boat and ignoring the rest.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 341
When I shop for a boat, I look for one that needs canvas, upholstery, electronics and cleaning. The reason is I am going to replace those items anyway so why pay for items that are getting pitched. I also like boats that have been on the market for over a year.

I wonít buy a boat that has structural issues, bent shafts, blisters or voids.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 55
When I see a boat that is FILTHY and the owner has it cluttered up with personal garbage, I move on. The boat is maintained in the same fashion, if maintained at all (which most times they are not).

But what is bad is when a broker represents the boat and puts up those kind of pictures, says a lot about his or her professionalism. Another red flag.

And I agree, it's aggravating not yo have pictures of the engine room or compartment.

And there is a lot of garbage on the market right now.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,000
Depends if you want to buy a project or want to go cruising right away.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
IronZebra's Avatar
 
City: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Country: US
Vessel Model: Hot Air Balloon for Now
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 35
Here is my weirdness when looking at boat porn on yachtworld.

If the boat has pictures of a room with an old tube type (CRT) television it makes me wonder how much time the previous owner spent on the boat and how much upgrading they have done.
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
Guru
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 541
I think a lot has to do with the region, though. We are in New England. Ours boats look best when launched in May and worst, when hauled in October. In the fall, I'll give her a cursory washing and scrub the hull. Detail, wax and paint is done in the spring.

My boat is well maintained and I've emptied it out. I wouldn't call it 'Clean' right now.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: Northport
Country: USA
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRonn View Post
When I see a boat that is FILTHY and the owner has it cluttered up with personal garbage, I move on. The boat is maintained in the same fashion, if maintained at all (which most times they are not).

But what is bad is when a broker represents the boat and puts up those kind of pictures, says a lot about his or her professionalism. Another red flag.

And I agree, it's aggravating not yo have pictures of the engine room or compartment.

And there is a lot of garbage on the market right now.
CaptRonn- is that your 45 in your avatar?
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,827
Selling a boat is selling a dream.

Prospective owners see fine sunsets with a drink, not clearing past owners junk from the boat.

"Paint sells the boat " you bet a polished dream is fun.

More experienced boaters know "Paint covers a multitude of sin."

So it is possible the super presented boat is a hulk, that looks nice.

In dirt houses they will bake a loaf of bread to give that home feeling.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
S41
Veteran Member
 
City: Puget Sound
Country: US
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 91
In the past, when we have shopped for a boat, I have asked the broker a number of questions before I even look at the boat. Does it stink? I won't get my wife to even step aboard if the boat smells like a full holding tank. Is it clean? Is the boat leaking all over inside the cabin? I tell them that there is no reason to waste the brokers time or mine if I can't get my wife on the boat.

We have gotten on one boat with the shower sump smelling like sewer (and the whole boat also), a boat that the carpet was tacked down with staples over the engine room access (it was a obvious the boat was used as a condo on the weekend), a boat that had vagrants living aboard unbeknownst to the broker or owner and it was a mess inside, a boat that had more mold growing in the teak from leaking windows than any clean teak on the boat. One boat that the broker had put up pictures from when he had sold the boat 5 years before and he had not been on the boat since he listed it a week before.

My wife feels there is a good business opportunity to clean up a boat before it is newly listed. I have told her that this is already available and people don't want to pay for it.

Our boat is on the market, it is cleaned of ALL our personal items and everything that doesn't go with the boat once sold. This is no different than selling a house. The day you put it on the market is the day it is no longer yours from your stuff's point of view. And when selling a boat the size most of us own here, we are selling to the wife as much or more than the husband. If the wife can't look past the stuff left by the sellers or the boat stinks, then they wife says 'Nope. Next boat please'.

I still say that the garbage filled boats can be reduced by asking questions to the sales person (broker or owner) before you drive to the boat to look at it.

Good luck shopping!
S41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member
 
CaptRonn's Avatar
 
City: Houston
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
CaptRonn- is that your 45 in your avatar?
It was mine. Iím currently looking for another boat.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #16
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
More experienced boaters know "Paint covers a multitude of sin."
As the great Captain Descartes says "I paint therefore I have sinned."
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronZebra View Post
Here is my weirdness when looking at boat porn on yachtworld.

If the boat has pictures of a room with an old tube type (CRT) television it makes me wonder how much time the previous owner spent on the boat and how much upgrading they have done.
If I see a TV on a boat I start having doubts about its care---- I'm into boating to get away from the TV world.
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Selling a boat is selling a dream.

Prospective owners see fine sunsets with a drink, not clearing past owners junk from the boat.

"Paint sells the boat " you bet a polished dream is fun.

More experienced boaters know "Paint covers a multitude of sin."

So it is possible the super presented boat is a hulk, that looks nice.

In dirt houses they will bake a loaf of bread to give that home feeling.
Yes- a freshly crudely painted engine is always suspect
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by S41 View Post
In the past, when we have shopped for a boat, I have asked the broker a number of questions before I even look at the boat. Does it stink? I won't get my wife to even step aboard if the boat smells like a full holding tank. Is it clean? Is the boat leaking all over inside the cabin? I tell them that there is no reason to waste the brokers time or mine if I can't get my wife on the boat.

We have gotten on one boat with the shower sump smelling like sewer (and the whole boat also), a boat that the carpet was tacked down with staples over the engine room access (it was a obvious the boat was used as a condo on the weekend), a boat that had vagrants living aboard unbeknownst to the broker or owner and it was a mess inside, a boat that had more mold growing in the teak from leaking windows than any clean teak on the boat. One boat that the broker had put up pictures from when he had sold the boat 5 years before and he had not been on the boat since he listed it a week before.

My wife feels there is a good business opportunity to clean up a boat before it is newly listed. I have told her that this is already available and people don't want to pay for it.

Out boat is on the market, it is cleaned of ALL our personal items and everything that doesn't go with the boat once sold. This is no different than selling a house. The day you put it on the market is the day it is no longer yours from your stuff's point of view. And when selling a boat the size most of us own here, we are selling to the wife as much or more than the husband. If the wife can't look past the stuff left by the sellers or the boat stinks, then they wife says 'Nope. Next boat please'.

I still say that the garbage filled boats can be reduced by asking questions to the sales person (broker or owner) before you drive to the boat to look at it.

Good luck shopping!
Yes indeed on the older pics gambit!!! 4 of the 6 boats looked at recently had older pics used in their ads. One was from a sales brochure 20+ years old
geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
City: Lutz
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Yes indeed on the older pics gambit!!! 4 of the 6 boats looked at recently had older pics used in their ads. One was from a sales brochure 20+ years old
here is my story on the stinky boat thing-In 1996 I was trying to sell my Island Packet 44 cutter sailboat which I had restored after it was sunk and dismasted by Hurricane Charlie. .........after about 8 months of hardly no interest and only 3 showings, a couple came to see it (and I had it looking like a new boaty)----- the woman said to her husband after about 5 minutes inside the cabin---"Bill ,this is the first boat we have been on that does not smell!" I knew immediately that I had a buyer. That happed soon thereafter.
__________________

geoleo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012