Old 12-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: charleston
Vessel Name: Tidal Holm
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1982
USCG Vessel Documentation

Sent in Exchange for COD when I purchased the boat in early November. USCG Document search shows they didn't begin a file till November 29 and they are processing exchange (s) dated Sept 3 which means they are at least 4 months behind. I won't even comment on why it took them 3 weeks to open an overnight letter pack.

I will also not bore you with my useless phone conversation with them, nor their lack of response to my email I sent several days ago. I have read and understand that I should be ok in the event I am asked for these Docs, but is four to six months turn a round time normal? Anyone have any first hand knowledge of what the problem is. Funding? Staffing? I don't buy their online excuse of "IT" issues dated July 2019.
Eddie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Just be patient. It takes awhile for new documentation. Took me 9 months.

BTW welcome to TF
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:58 PM   #3

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Mines been a few months in application phase, but in docs search, ( USCG work packet status inquiry) I can find my vessel number. I used that to get my MMSI number for VHF/AIS.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 PM   #4

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Just be patient. It takes awhile for new documentation. Took me 9 months.

BTW welcome to TF
ASD gave you could advice, patience. If I remember correctly ours took 6 months.

Welcome to TF.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

City: Mukilteo, WA
Vessel Name: Glauben
Vessel Model: 1988 3818 Bayliner
Be patient, pushing won’t help.
Pcpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It was taking them about 4 months to process a change of ownership. Then the government shutdown last winter and they have never been able to dig out of the hole. It appears that now it is running about 6 months or so for a change of ownership. The good news is that renewals are being done quickly. I renewed mine about 2 weeks ago online and got it about a week ago. Getting upset won’t help. It is what it is...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #7

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Last year it was three months for us if I remember correctly. I just now paid online for a renewal. I will chime in when it arrives. I figure hey I have a receipt If I get boarded I have a good argument if need be. IMHO the Fuzz aren't looking for a fight when they board ya, of course unless one is acting ill rational. Hang in there it will come.
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Chesapeake
Vessel Name: Voyager 3
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen Manatee
It took over a year for us. We were #2 in the cue for over a half year. I kept a complete copy of all the paperwork on board just in case. I hear the staff numbers are diminished??
Voyager3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: charleston
Vessel Name: Tidal Holm
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager3 View Post
It took over a year for us. We were #2 in the cue for over a half year. I kept a complete copy of all the paperwork on board just in case. I hear the staff numbers are diminished??
Wow, can you imagine the work environment? Makes you want to go volunteer. If it is that understaffed, then for their sanity something needs to be done. Has anyone ever been to the West Virginia Location?

Hopefully in 2022 when renewals switch from automatic 1 year to 5 years the paperwork burden will decrease. Glad I requested multi-year on mine from the get go.
Eddie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Watts View Post
Wow, can you imagine the work environment? Makes you want to go volunteer. If it is that understaffed, then for their sanity something needs to be done. Has anyone ever been to the West Virginia Location?

Hopefully in 2022 when renewals switch from automatic 1 year to 5 years the paperwork burden will decrease. Glad I requested multi-year on mine from the get go.
No haven't been there, but have seen such an environment. They worked so hard to get fairly current, then were shut down. Later IT issues that they can't get addressed properly.

In business, you could have the flexibility to fix it. We once acquired a company whose distribution center was two months behind in processing returns. My policy was that you could never leave a week with any unprocessed. Now, clearly they were incapable of catching up without something drastic and they'd lost incentive to even try. I wanted to catch up in one month. That meant processing three months worth in one month. The only way that gets done is more people and more hours. We hired part time people and temporarily moved people from other departments. We freed all people there to work as many hours as they desired for that one month, all the overtime at time and a half. I recall speaking personally to them and asking each person if there was one thing they could really use money for, then saying they could have it in one month if they'd really sacrifice. I know one person who worked 12 hour days, seven days a week for the month, made 2.5 times their normal pay. Their goal was taking their family to Disneyworld on vacation. I remember one person commenting on their hours and they said, "You don't understand, I'm working on Disney." Once caught up, they stayed that way. We threw them a little party when the returns area was 100% empty the first time.

Unfortunately, the CG Documentation Unit doesn't have any of that flexibility. Temporary help could be of great benefit on the basic documentations. I bet they have plenty of employees who would like some extra pay through extra hours for a while, all voluntary. I've never once asked for volunteers to work extra that I didn't get plenty to volunteer. The reality is there is no person authorized and with the power and control to fix the problem.

Will five years help? A very tiny bit. Renewals are not the problem. On December 13, renewals were only 2 days behind. Commercial Fish Initial, Certificates of Ownership, Deletions, Research, and Abstracts were current and Commercial Initial was only 10 days behind.

It was everything else. Initial Recreation 3 months, Mortgages 8 months, Satisfaction of Liens 11 months, and Notice of Claim of Liens 14 months. I find it ironic that a common reason for documentation is liens and yet that's the area they handle so poorly. I know someone not long ago who lost a sale of their boat because they'd paid their lien off and couldn't get the CG to record it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:26 PM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Same thing if you are retiring from the Feds. They are only 3 months behind in processing retirements.

BTW got my fake documentation renewal letter today.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Same thing if you are retiring from the Feds. They are only 3 months behind in processing retirements.

BTW got my fake documentation renewal letter today.
Government entities (and some private companies) find their hands tied and their ability to react and respond so restricted. Then people become use to it and you start hearing those words, "There's nothing I can do." I would not last a day in a job or environment like that. I've been lucky and never been against that brick wall, but it's always been "How can I do it." I don't know if any of you watch the television show, but Max Goodwin's line of thought he wants used is "How Can I Help." Well, one can only help if they are given the authority. Responsibility without Authority is Empty.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:14 PM   #13

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Set charges to fully fund services and then if the government is still unable/unwilling to fund/staff it, privatize the function.

PS: None of this is rocket science. Every county in the country knows how to record titles and liens.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #14

City: Tall Timbers Maryland
Vessel Name: Devil Dog
Vessel Model: 1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
Perhaps they could augment with some Coast Guard Auxiliary. I know our local Coast Guard station has some auxiliary members working there.
Leatherneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #15

City: Hamilton
Vessel Name: Moon Dragon
Vessel Model: 1989 IG32
It would appear that US documentation is on par with Canadian registration. For a friend of mine, the process took close to 6 months. Mine took only 2.5 months (Oct 9th to Dec 22nd). I did inquire about mid-October where we were in the process. At that time they were working on July 12th submissions. They did inform me, politely, that they follow oldest files first. Hidden message, we will get to you. The “Christmas” present was a surprise.
Leo Reise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Mystic, CT
Vessel Name: Miss Maggie
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 58 LRC
Took me six months earlier this year..... sent docs in early May before closing... they started it in late July.... finally got my permanent docs first week in November.... you should have the application letter to the USCG.... keep it on board and if boarded the USCG will accept that.... at least they did for me...
JD5652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #17

City: Richmond, Ca
Vessel Name: Iris
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Watts View Post
Sent in Exchange for COD when I purchased the boat in early November. USCG Document search shows they didn't begin a file till November 29 and they are processing exchange (s) dated Sept 3 which means they are at least 4 months behind. I won't even comment on why it took them 3 weeks to open an overnight letter pack.

I will also not bore you with my useless phone conversation with them, nor their lack of response to my email I sent several days ago. I have read and understand that I should be ok in the event I am asked for these Docs, but is four to six months turn a round time normal? Anyone have any first hand knowledge of what the problem is. Funding? Staffing? I don't buy their online excuse of "IT" issues dated July 2019.

We filed in February 2019. Crickets since then.
Capn_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:00 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Vessel documentation is an outdated concept and just a boondoggle now. When it was useful; in exchange for not having to register in your state you gave the government the right to commandeer it if they needed it in wartime. I don't think they will need my boat (or any boats) in the next war. That said, I have saved money over the years on my boats especially the one in FL where they want you to pay their sales tax too.

Keep waiting...
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:02 PM   #19

City: Richmond, Ca
Vessel Name: Iris
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
I'm not complaining! Sales tax won't be due until they issue the document. I'd rather earn interest while I wait.
Capn_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #20
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn_Q View Post
I'm not complaining! Sales tax won't be due until they issue the document. I'd rather earn interest while I wait.

Wow, is that a California thing? I would expect tax to be triggered when the transaction occurred, not when the paperwork finally comes through.