USCG mobile app

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eseyoung

looks like it is available for download tomorrow. should have some useful tools for new boaters and old salts too.

That'll be a good deal for those people that have entered the 21st century with a smart phone...I'm sticking with my flip phone until it's no longer available, lol.

That'll be a good deal for those people that have entered the 21st century with a smart phone...I'm sticking with my flip phone until it's no longer available, lol.

Do you own a camera? Always carry it? I guess you did have to move on to digital on it now.

I know you think of a smartphone as a frill you don't need, but that's probably less true than you think. Something happens and you need emergency location. You see something happening and it sure is handy to be able to take photos or video. In a wreck or something damaged the pictures may save you a lot of trouble and money. GPS might save you getting lost sometime. I understood holding off when pricing was much different than today, but with $35 plans and inexpensive smart phones, might be time to reconsider all the benefits one does have. Only takes one time needing one to make you glad you gave in.

That was a JOKE! I own a flip phone and it takes pics. I'm NOT going to get involved in a thread spending days arguing the attributes of a smart phone vs a flip phone. Thank you for your concern.

That's a pretty cool app. Thanks for the info, Eric.

I had a hard time finding it in the Play Store. It's listed as UNITED STATES COAST GUARD Basta Ya PR. It shows 1 download. Does that make me the first to load it?

That was a JOKE! I own a flip phone and it takes pics. I'm NOT going to get involved in a thread spending days arguing the attributes of a smart phone vs a flip phone. Thank you for your concern.

I don't think anyone suggested spending days arguing or even discussing. Although here anything is possible. Paper vs. Electronic Charts can go for months.

There is a begrudging acceptance here by Marine Rescue of the value of a cell/mobile phone for communication back up, though no App yet. When logging on by VHF for an coastal transit, they always request an on boat phone number.

Back
Top Bottom